Home

NBA Live 14 Next-Gen First Impressions

This is a discussion on NBA Live 14 Next-Gen First Impressions within the NBA Live forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA Live
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?

Old 11-20-2013, 10:07 AM   #17
Rookie

OVR: 0
Why is anyone surprised by this game? Look at who is making it. EA sports refuses to acknowledge or understand the idea of Real-Time Physics in sports games. They continue to use canned animations with scripted outcomes. Whatever happened to creating player models from scratch and using physics to create the animations?

Why is this so hard to do? I don't understand why motion capture is still acceptable on a next-gen system, with any sports game. And no one has been able to give me an answer yet. I mean, we saw backbreaker figure out the real-time physics so that no two plays were ever the same. THAT is truly next-gen. But, scripted animations and motion-capture are totally 2005.

While madden on ps4 is an improvement over ps3, it still uses the same canned animation and motion capture. Where is the REAL-TIME PHYSICS? And when will we get these in a sports game?

Also, NBA 2K14 does this same thing. How come some small, independent, EUROPEAN company can figure out real-time physics and create non-scripted outcomes and yet American companies either can't do it or refuse to do it. It doesn't make any sense to me. Is it really that hard?

I know backbreaker was not a great game, but that was mostly due to the camera angle and the inability to change it.

And I'm not saying that basketball games or any sports games should be like that game. All I'm saying is that the technology is clearly there to use real-time physics and non-scripted outcomes. How come no one is using that for next-gen games?
Old 11-20-2013, 10:08 AM   #18
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by nate1986
Considering they've had 3 years to make a solid basketball game and EA sports lays an egg with this, the graphics look borderline ps2/early ps3 graphics and gameplay is buggy, yet Madden and FIFA look good on next gen, the question is how long before FIFA and Madden regress backwards unless its already happening
I agree that the game is bad, but they had 1 year development cycle in order to make the game... They started this game probably around the same time 2k started nba 2k, but since live had no foundation it was expected
Old 11-20-2013, 10:10 AM   #19
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlterEgoDuane
Why is anyone surprised by this game? Look at who is making it. EA sports refuses to acknowledge or understand the idea of Real-Time Physics in sports games. They continue to use canned animations with scripted outcomes. Whatever happened to creating player models from scratch and using physics to create the animations?

Why is this so hard to do? I don't understand why motion capture is still acceptable on a next-gen system, with any sports game. And no one has been able to give me an answer yet. I mean, we saw backbreaker figure out the real-time physics so that no two plays were ever the same. THAT is truly next-gen. But, scripted animations and motion-capture are totally 2005.

While madden on ps4 is an improvement over ps3, it still uses the same canned animation and motion capture. Where is the REAL-TIME PHYSICS? And when will we get these in a sports game?

Also, NBA 2K14 does this same thing. How come some small, independent, EUROPEAN company can figure out real-time physics and create non-scripted outcomes and yet American companies either can't do it or refuse to do it. It doesn't make any sense to me. Is it really that hard?

I know backbreaker was not a great game, but that was mostly due to the camera angle and the inability to change it.

And I'm not saying that basketball games or any sports games should be like that game. All I'm saying is that the technology is clearly there to use real-time physics and non-scripted outcomes. How come no one is using that for next-gen games?
EA Sports tried that... Nba elite 11 was the result of that
Old 11-20-2013, 10:25 AM   #20
Rookie

NBA Elite was Real-Time physics? And so because you try it once and weren't good at it, you scrap it forever? Maybe they just did it wrong? Why not purchase the Euphoria engine or whatever backbreaker used to do that and then use that for football and basketball and whatever else?
Old 11-20-2013, 10:27 AM   #21
Rookie

@grodtooreal... I know it wasn't your excuse, but if that's EA's excuse, then that's the sorriest excuse I've ever heard in my life. That's shameful. If that is truly their excuse, then it's no surprise they were voted worst company in America. It's easy to see why with that level of distorted logic.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-20-2013, 10:28 AM   #22
Rookie

Real-time physics, no excuses. If it sucks for a year while you perfect it and tweak it, I'm fine with that, as long as the outcomes are never the same twice. That's all I'm asking for. I don't want to see the same animations w the same outcomes over and over again. And I don't want warping or lack of weight. REAL physics. It shouldn't be that hard.
Old 11-20-2013, 10:50 AM   #23
Banned

KingofATL's Arena

OVR: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melbournelad
We need a new company to enter the sports gaming industry to rival 2K (competition will then help 2K as well, see 2k11). EA has done a horrible job for the last five years (outside of FIFA).
I agree that another company needs to step up and challenge 2K. If for nothing else, so we can have viable competition in the genre. Now a days there is like only one choice in almost every sports genre. And that's the saddest part.

EA Sports has disappointed their fan base once again. But at this point it's no surprise. I don't understand why so many guys were blindsided by this. They have been doing this for soooooooo long now.

I think EA makes some pretty good games actually, like FIFA 14, NHL 14, Skate, Fight Night and FIFA Street. Those have been solid for years. But for some reason they can't seem to get it together when it comes to the most popular sports in America which is Basketball & Football. (NBA,NFL,NCAA). I don't get it, how can you be such a huge corporation with every resource at your disposal and fail this bad? It just doesn't make sense. I just really believe EA Sports just doesn't care about the true gamers. It's only about profit, nothing else. So much so that they will resort to cheap tricks and bush-league antics to get over on the "average gullible consumer."

It's time for 2K to step up and get this NFL license....PERIOD!!!! Whatever they have to do, just get it done. We need this to happen!!!!!!

Last edited by KingofATL; 11-20-2013 at 11:02 AM.
Old 11-20-2013, 10:52 AM   #24
Rookie

OVR: 3
I thought NBA Live 10 sucked. But I thought every live since 05 sucked pretty much. 2K has been king for awhile. Every one who says oh I just want a different game, or I just want a foundation for a better game to be built on i hope your happy. For $60 Im going to need more than 'potential' and 'something different'. Been a 2k convert since 2k6 and havent looked back since. Good luck to you Live 'fanatics'....

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA Live »