Home

Looking back at All-Pro Football 2K8

This is a discussion on Looking back at All-Pro Football 2K8 within the All Pro Football 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > All Pro Football 2K
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 11-15-2013, 03:40 PM   #49
Banned

OVR: 0
Re: Looking back at All-Pro Football 2K8

^^^ That post was @CM Hooe, by the way.
Old 11-15-2013, 03:44 PM   #50
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by commonlogick
Just a thought - if OS started a KickStarter for a new All-Pro Football to "hire" Visual Concepts to make the game, with the idea that all the backers would have a % stake in producing/designing the game...

Just saying. Reading the comments about the love of this game - got my eyes a little moist.
Sim football gamers don't support anything that forces them to take action or spend money and that's been proven time and time again over the years.

2K knows there is a market and they know what they have to do to get to it. The question is, do they have the drive and desire while NBA 2K is becoming a sales leader among all sports games in North America? That's the question and I fear the answer is not what we want to hear. Despite that, I still ask 2K Football for a game all the time through emails and social media.
Old 11-17-2013, 04:31 PM   #51
MVP

prey2god's Arena

I really hope 2k comes back w/ a football game. The cult fan favoriting of this game only shows the competency of sports games sans baseball and hockey. Let's be perfectly honest here, they rule and always have ruled the basketball/football genre.

If they come back, I guarantee they would dominate.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-17-2013, 06:06 PM   #52
Need A Life

bkrich83's Arena

OVR: 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexgenrulz
This was the best playing football game ever made. Period. It actually plays like football. My only complaint was the play calling system. It really nailed the fundamentals. Oh, and it actually had refs & nets on the goalposts unlike the first 3 years of that other game.
Totally agree. If it had any off field depth might be the greatest sports game ever. On the field, greatest simulation of football ever, by a landslide.
Old 11-19-2013, 09:14 AM   #53
Banned

OVR: 1

I seriously like every post in this thread. I bought my 360 in 2009 for APF2K8 to be the go-to title and it hasn't failed. In 2010 I convinced the best bro, a Madden player because thats what he knew, to pick it up from his local store...after digging through the bargain bin he found his copy. We have literally spent hours sharing stories of our created teams, classic battles vs the CPU, and playoff positioning amongst the best in the APFL. Crazy, but the individual style of each player, generics included, factored with the way each team plays (Scorpions are primarily a one-back/3-wide team vs the pro-set/west coast style of the sharks) adds to the immersion. Its all about risk/reward and finding the right matchup via formations, etc. If i'm playing the Iron Men - a heavy wide personnel with Dan Marino - I need to play a ton of nickel but they have a good generic RB too that can burn you.

This game would have been even better and more addicting with a franchise mode. Also, imagine if they copied and pasted 2K5's presentation, just without the ESPN logo. They almost did, but I'm talking about the power rankings, stat overlays, weekly league update shows, etc. CRAZY!

I've played virtually every kind of football game on a console and even without a legacy mode - In 2013 - I can tell you I am not slowing down with APF. Players have soul, stadiums are alive, and the CPU won't allow you to simply button mash your way to a win.

Finally, I appreciated how 2K football never sold us on compartments of football like, "true step" or "Vision Cone" or "Run Free with the precision modifier." When playing APF its clear that all players footplant and cut, Tommy Krammer doesn't have the same pinpoint accuracy as Troy Aikman, and once you get to the second level of a defense with Barry Sanders..and you've got a one-one with a FS...you're in control to run free. FOOTBALL is what this game gives us. Not compartments of football.

Please 2K, I'm not saying this to bash EA, but please 2K bring back an APF2K. Its sooo much more fun to play in the APFL than the NFL on a console (and I love the NFL).
Old 11-19-2013, 09:30 AM   #54
Just started!

^^^ That's one of the other bizarre decisions 2K made: it wasn't even called the APFL, they called it the APL and gave it a God-Awful logo. It should've been the APFL though. How did they not include the "Football" part of their league name? Just strange, and dumb.All-Pro Football was hot on the field, no football game has ever played better. But they made too many ******* mistakes off the field. 2K should come back one more time though. All they have to do is the opposite of all the dumb mistakes they made with APF as a product and the game will sell just enough to be viable.As far as non-NFL licensed games go, Blitz The League 1 is the model of success (over 1 Million copies sold). 2K doesn't have to copy Blitz's over-the-top style arcade gameplay, but they absolutely have to have a real league identity this time around and better logos/uni's/uniform editor. You can't half-*** that sort of thing and expect people to buy the game. People have to be able to connect with it emotionally.
Old 11-19-2013, 09:37 AM   #55
Banned

OVR: 1

I think sharing this video I just found is appropriate...enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5QB8dy9xbE

What makes All Pro Football 2K8 special to you?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-20-2013, 06:23 AM   #56
MVP

OVR: 19

2k should have just created their own legacy/dynasty/association mode with APF2k8.

They could have started it from year 1. how nice would it have been to have a dynasty mode with the user writing the history of the league. teams within said dynasty would be setting and breaking its own records.

I thought this out, and I believe they could have started a league with default rosters or a fantasy with players of varying ages from say 21-35. they could have used the star based system also. As a user you could decide do you draft an unrated young qb, or a gold star 35 year-old qb that could potentially retire at the end of the season.

Younger players would have to develop into a star rated player. so obviously a potential rating would be needed. and as the years moved on, with a salary cap, as well as the APF star rated capped system, a user would have to make decisions of which star rated players to keep or trade. Imagine at the end of say a qbs first contract, he develops into a gold star player, and your roster already has 2 gold star players, who do you trade?

Your decision would would really affect your teams philosophy. In addition, could create some interesting realistic trade scenarios. That gold star qb could basically walk away without a team getting any decent compensation. or you would have to potentially accept a late round draft pick for quality star rated players. talk about realistic.

2k had the tools to really expand on APF2k8. game play was awesome. all they needed was a well thought out interesting Legacy mode.

Last edited by tril; 11-20-2013 at 06:34 AM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > All Pro Football 2K »