Home

NBA Live 14 Q&A with Executive Producer Sean O'Brien

This is a discussion on NBA Live 14 Q&A with Executive Producer Sean O'Brien within the NBA Live forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA Live
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 10-22-2013, 10:29 PM   #97
MVP

OVR: 1
Re: NBA Live 14 Q&A with Executive Producer Sean O'Brien

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigeastbumrush
What hype..?
Well for starters, that there'd actually be a game the last four years.
Old 10-23-2013, 01:36 AM   #98
D* B**rs!

Boilerbuzz's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by iTz GoRiLlAz
But has anyone noticed why 2K stepped up there game? It's because competition is back, and what did it do? It made 2K react, and say wow Live is making a comeback, and we must come with our total 100%.
I don't know why people make this assumption. I think VC is quite a self-motivated group.

Last edited by Boilerbuzz; 10-23-2013 at 12:47 PM.
Old 10-23-2013, 01:57 AM   #99
MVP

OVR: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boilerbuzz
I don't know why people make this assumption. I think VC is quote a self-motivated group.
agreed. 2k hasn't even acknowledged ea
Old 10-23-2013, 05:14 AM   #100
Rookie

OVR: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundown
I can understand that to some extent. But I'm no longer amazed by Mario Brothers and I'm not amazed by sports games that don't look like the real thing. I am amazed when I do pull off plays that look authentically like broadcast basketball, which I do regularly with 2K. I'm amazed by immersion.

I also don't get much satisfaction from jittery and unrealistic movement models. What feels like "control" to some feels like arcade cheese to me, and there's little reward in breaking down defenses with twitchy moves.

Bad animations are usually a sign of bad movement modeling and what you feel is "unresponsive" is actually what I appreciate in realistic games where momentum is fully modeled. Having movements play out AND look realistic as the play develops is what amazes me.
Exactly! ) I never really like Mario. Another World and Flashback: The Quest for Identity this are my favorite games, this ones has realistic looks and movements of characters as well as great gameplay.
As for "loss of control" and "unresponsive" this authentic features has a great represantation in Pro Evolution Soccer 2014.
Old 10-23-2013, 07:07 AM   #101
My Momma's Son

bigeastbumrush's Arena

OVR: 37

Quote:
Well for starters, that there'd actually be a game the last four years.
We're here now. Are they or anyone else hyping '14?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-23-2013, 10:33 AM   #102
Rookie

If NBA Live 14 does not sell enough copies then EA will scrap this game. You have to examine all the things that have been going with EA this year. The end of their NCAA Football game dealing with the likenesses of college players, the poor sells with Madden, and now the potential lawsuit they now have going on with their next gen UFC game. They cannot continue to lose large amounts of money as a well known gaming company. It would be sad for us, but they were given opportunities and time to make this game as good as possible.
Old 10-23-2013, 12:57 PM   #103
D* B**rs!

Boilerbuzz's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
I can understand that to some extent. But I'm no longer amazed by Mario Brothers and I'm not amazed by sports games that don't look like the real thing. I am amazed when I do pull off plays that look authentically like broadcast basketball, which I do regularly with 2K. I'm amazed by immersion.

I also don't get much satisfaction from jittery and unrealistic movement models. What feels like "control" to some feels like arcade cheese to me, and there's little reward in breaking down defenses with twitchy moves.

Bad animations are usually a sign of bad movement modeling and what you feel is "unresponsive" is actually what I appreciate in realistic games where momentum is fully modeled. Having movements play out AND look realistic as the play develops is what amazes me.
Dude, we normally think alike. But I could not agree with you MORE on this. There are SO many games out there where you can let go of reality. I don't think that is the place for simulation sports video games. NBA Jam?! Fine! That's it's mantra. Fantasy basketball. But games like Madden, The Show, FIFA, and such have a responsibility to be TRUE to the sport they represent. Otherwise, why limit the scope of game. If people want dunks, why can't Nash dunk? Well, he should in Jam. In Live?! HELL NO! Certain actions function because they are defined in a physical world of limits! I can NOT stop on a dime. I can NOT guarantee all of my open shots go in! I can NOT jump 32 inches above my reach! So, why should a game that is supposed to be sim let me do that? I can't change my dribble without the ball getting back to my hand! So, when a game lets me do all of this the right way, and is still able to look and feel *right*, then I'm in heaven. If I can project myself into that screen the game has done it's job. When I'm taken out of it? Fail.
Old 10-31-2013, 12:21 AM   #104
Rookie

Cavs2Bears15's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gosens6
Also, this made me cringe...

I can count a handful of big men that can stretch defenses out to the 3 point line. I hope those are also represented well, and they're not just "more around the rim" because that's where casual basketball fans think they should be.
It says PF's and Centers THAT don't.. not all PF's and Centers... C'mon get it right.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA Live »