Home

Operation Sports - Press Row Podcast: NBA Live 14 Gameplay with Scott O’Gallagher

This is a discussion on Operation Sports - Press Row Podcast: NBA Live 14 Gameplay with Scott O’Gallagher within the NBA Live forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA Live
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?

Old 10-15-2013, 12:44 PM   #89
Pro

NoTiCe_O's Arena

OVR: 11
Re: Operation Sports - Press Row Podcast: NBA Live 14 Gameplay with Scott O’Gallagher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gosens6
Am I the only one concerned that there has been absolutely NO talk about post play? Or big man play in general? EA has NEVER been able to get this right. It's essential to have good post play, both offensively and defensively in an NBA game.

I feel like they did nothing but focus on smaller, quicker guards. Hell, those are the only type of players they brought in for mo-cap. Sometimes I really don't understand what these developers are thinking. It's like they want to make an NBA game where guys can just pick it up, put some ankle breakers on their friends and only play a 2v2 game, guards vs. guards. Where's the love for the PFs and Cs!?

Maybe they'll surprise me, but i'm not holding my breath
He said in one of the very first questions that NBA Live 10 had about 80 metacritic score and you could only shoot over one shoulder in the post. So to me it's an obvious hint that the post game will definitely have some improvements, at least to the point where you can shoot over either shoulder.

Also in one of the very first diaries Sean O'Brien stated they wanted to nail the post game. I for one love the post game and have been clamoring about it from the very beginning, but I think they have a process going on and their not sharing every detail until the game is complete as Scott said. Instead of releasing "Work in Progress" videos.
Old 10-15-2013, 12:50 PM   #90
All Star

Gosens6's Arena

OVR: 26
Re: Operation Sports - Press Row Podcast: NBA Live 14 Gameplay with Scott O’Gallagher

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoTiCe_O
He said in one of the very first questions that NBA Live 10 had about 80 metacritic score and you could only shoot over one shoulder in the post. So to me it's an obvious hint that the post game will definitely have some improvements, at least to the point where you can shoot over either shoulder.

Also in one of the very first diaries Sean O'Brien stated they wanted to nail the post game. I for one love the post game and have been clamoring about it from the very beginning, but I think they have a process going on and their not sharing every detail until the game is complete as Scott said. Instead of releasing "Work in Progress" videos.
I hope so man, because like I said, you can't have an NBA game without a good post game. It's just simply not possible. EA has always been very guard oriented, but that just won't fly anymore.
Old 10-15-2013, 12:57 PM   #91
MVP

stillfeelme's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by King_B_Mack
Honestly I don't see the difference. You say those Madden gimmicks, those are EA gimmicks. Seeing them pull the same NBA.com crap with ESPN and their next-gen videos for Madden just confirms for me exactly what I've been fearing and saying all along. The people in charge, making decisions at EA haven't changed. We have another talented development team working on Live with a vision for the future that we can at least kind of get behind for the franchise, but the same goofs are pulling the strings over there. Them talking about that same feature, their "big tech breakthrough" is the same as it always is, their buzzword or catchphrase to settle in your mind and sound catchy. Just like 'Go to moves' before it, 'no canned animations,' 'hot spots and quickstrike ball-handling,' 'NBA Live 365 and dynamic DNA,' 'freestyle playmaking,' I could go on. There's always a buzzword that they push like what they're doing now.

Madden plays by a different set of rules here. No competition equals little to no innovation. Madden is a port based on a bad foundation in my opinion brought about by no competition and people willing to settle for inferior product for a US population that must get their football fix. I don't play by those rules which is why I haven't bought Madden in 3 years.

NBA 2K has the bar set high, way high so a large% of the gamers are not falling for gimmicks on a failed franchise when there is competition. On a next gen system kicking out 400-500 for an ok game yeah not me and I have money to spend it but I will not buy trash. I am not a EA supporter lol so let's get this clear. I play the games that best represent the sports I like to a standard I set. I just think they will get the dribbling right. I don't know about the rest of the game though. So I am taking a wait and see approach. I also said I don't expect them to be a competitor to 2K for 2-3 years if EA doesn't step on it's own foot I am expecting everything to not be polished in Live14.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-15-2013, 12:57 PM   #92
Pro

NoTiCe_O's Arena

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gosens6
I hope so man, because like I said, you can't have an NBA game without a good post game. It's just simply not possible. EA has always been very guard oriented, but that just won't fly anymore.
The post game is where it's at man, so I'm hoping they get it right. I expect if not this year that next year they really nail the post game because with games like Madden and UFC also sharing code with NBA Live through the ignite engine I think they have the opportunity to really nail the physicality and agility of the post with real time physics.

Now this is just me throwing out an idea so I don't want it taken out of context, but they have a real time physics engine that could really become a great asset in a basketball game in terms of post play. So they have the opportunity there to do some stuff we've never seen, or bring a physical presence that's never been in a basketball game before.
Old 10-15-2013, 03:16 PM   #93
MVP

OVR: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillfeelme
Madden plays by a different set of rules here. No competition equals little to no innovation. Madden is a port based on a bad foundation in my opinion brought about by no competition and people willing to settle for inferior product for a US population that must get their football fix. I don't play by those rules which is why I haven't bought Madden in 3 years.

NBA 2K has the bar set high, way high so a large% of the gamers are not falling for gimmicks on a failed franchise when there is competition. On a next gen system kicking out 400-500 for an ok game yeah not me and I have money to spend it but I will not buy trash. I am not a EA supporter lol so let's get this clear. I play the games that best represent the sports I like to a standard I set. I just think they will get the dribbling right. I don't know about the rest of the game though. So I am taking a wait and see approach. I also said I don't expect them to be a competitor to 2K for 2-3 years if EA doesn't step on it's own foot I am expecting everything to not be polished in Live14.
that's my thought as Well, I think they focused too much on dribbling. If this was another game, a nonsports title they would show you different apects of the game. Look at GTA. Their gameplay trailer covered various aspects of the game. Just one gameplay trailer. We haven't heard about reboounding, we haven't heard about passing, we haven't heard about anything but bouncetek.
Old 10-15-2013, 06:45 PM   #94
Pro

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by yungflo
that's my thought as Well, I think they focused too much on dribbling. If this was another game, a nonsports title they would show you different apects of the game. Look at GTA. Their gameplay trailer covered various aspects of the game. Just one gameplay trailer. We haven't heard about reboounding, we haven't heard about passing, we haven't heard about anything but bouncetek.
We also haven't seen the ball and rim physics. Did they fix the way the ball goes through the net? Because in past lives, it looked terrible. I'm looking forward to seeing a trailer with the ball actually going in the hoop.
Old 10-15-2013, 06:58 PM   #95
yellow

23's Arena

OVR: 65

Quote:
Originally Posted by magicman32
We also haven't seen the ball and rim physics. Did they fix the way the ball goes through the net? Because in past lives, it looked terrible. I'm looking forward to seeing a trailer with the ball actually going in the hoop.
So far all we can go off of is what we saw, and that video jumpball looked pretty well... you remember what it looked like.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-15-2013, 07:09 PM   #96
Pro

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 23
So far all we can go off of is what we saw, and that video jumpball looked pretty well... you remember what it looked like.
Yep I remember. So I'm gonna assume the ball going through the net still will look like the old Live. LOL

Maybe we will see the ball go through the hoop next trailer.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA Live »