Home

Operation Sports - Press Row Podcast: NBA Live 14 Gameplay with Scott O’Gallagher

This is a discussion on Operation Sports - Press Row Podcast: NBA Live 14 Gameplay with Scott O’Gallagher within the NBA Live forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA Live
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 10-15-2013, 12:00 PM   #81
Banned

OVR: 2
Re: Operation Sports - Press Row Podcast: NBA Live 14 Gameplay with Scott O’Gallagher

Man you guys are crazy. I took his statement as if they are going to talk about that feature so much they better get it right not that because they are talking about it so much it will somehow make it the best feature ever.

So pumped for live and can't wait for what hip hop has in store for us.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-15-2013, 12:02 PM   #82
D* B**rs!

Boilerbuzz's Arena

OVR: 28
Re: Operation Sports - Press Row Podcast: NBA Live 14 Gameplay with Scott O’Gallagher

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillfeelme
I look at it from this perspective. If EA is actually releasing features or information about a failed franchise then it is important. They hide any and all information related to this franchise since Elite. Those Madden gimmicks will not work in basketball because there is competition. This is their big tech breakthrough. You have to put it all together but they are talking about it the most and promoting it the most because they are the most confident in that part of the game.
Then they are in trouble. Because if Bouncetek is their golden axe, it's nowhere near enough. Yes, I played with it. It was cool. Potentially. But even if it hits it's mark, it's nowhere near enough to make the game that much better. I still think that folks aren't reading between the lines on it. What's going to happen with responsiveness? I'll tell you now, the demo brought up some questions. So, yes, they are hanging their hats on this. But King is right, it's a bad assumption to assume they will nail it. They talked a lot about skill based shooting. Where'd that go? I said it back then - you can't balance a sports sim that way.
Old 10-15-2013, 12:06 PM   #83
D* B**rs!

Boilerbuzz's Arena

OVR: 28
Operation Sports - Press Row Podcast: NBA Live 14 Gameplay with Scott O’Galla...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirs
Man you guys are crazy. I took his statement as if they are going to talk about that feature so much they better get it right not that because they are talking about it so much it will somehow make it the best feature ever.

Well, he hasn't denied that he was stating the latter. Actually reiterated it. So who is crazy again?
Old 10-15-2013, 12:12 PM   #84
MVP

stillfeelme's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirs

My point exactly if you going to come out talking Bounce tek, this Bounce tek that.. uh they clearly spent some considerable development time on dribbling, enough to show it off at E3. It is not that serious though everyone has their own opinion but they could have took my words differently anyway no big deal. I would be shocked if they didn't nail dribbling I wouldn't trust them further past 14.
Old 10-15-2013, 12:14 PM   #85
All Star

King_B_Mack's Arena

OVR: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillfeelme
I look at it from this perspective. If EA is actually releasing features or information about a failed franchise then it is important. They hide any and all information related to this franchise since Elite. Those Madden gimmicks will not work in basketball because there is competition. This is their big tech breakthrough. You have to put it all together but they are talking about it the most and promoting it the most because they are the most confident in that part of the game.
Honestly I don't see the difference. You say those Madden gimmicks, those are EA gimmicks. Seeing them pull the same NBA.com crap with ESPN and their next-gen videos for Madden just confirms for me exactly what I've been fearing and saying all along. The people in charge, making decisions at EA haven't changed. We have another talented development team working on Live with a vision for the future that we can at least kind of get behind for the franchise, but the same goofs are pulling the strings over there. Them talking about that same feature, their "big tech breakthrough" is the same as it always is, their buzzword or catchphrase to settle in your mind and sound catchy. Just like 'Go to moves' before it, 'no canned animations,' 'hot spots and quickstrike ball-handling,' 'NBA Live 365 and dynamic DNA,' 'freestyle playmaking,' I could go on. There's always a buzzword that they push like what they're doing now.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-15-2013, 12:14 PM   #86
All Star

Gosens6's Arena

OVR: 26

Am I the only one concerned that there has been absolutely NO talk about post play? Or big man play in general? EA has NEVER been able to get this right. It's essential to have good post play, both offensively and defensively in an NBA game.

I feel like they did nothing but focus on smaller, quicker guards. Hell, those are the only type of players they brought in for mo-cap. Sometimes I really don't understand what these developers are thinking. It's like they want to make an NBA game where guys can just pick it up, put some ankle breakers on their friends and only play a 2v2 game, guards vs. guards. Where's the love for the PFs and Cs!?

Maybe they'll surprise me, but i'm not holding my breath
Old 10-15-2013, 12:29 PM   #87
Banned

OVR: 2

I love what he was saying about the pick & roll game. The best p&r controls I have ever played with were in Live 09. Hopefully this game delivers all around, because I have been hoping for a game with solid pick & roll mechanics on top of good AI.
Old 10-15-2013, 12:41 PM   #88
MVP

stillfeelme's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boilerbuzz
Then they are in trouble. Because if Bouncetek is their golden axe, it's nowhere near enough. Yes, I played with it. It was cool. Potentially. But even if it hits it's mark, it's nowhere near enough to make the game that much better. I still think that folks aren't reading between the lines on it. What's going to happen with responsiveness? I'll tell you now, the demo brought up some questions. So, yes, they are hanging their hats on this. But King is right, it's a bad assumption to assume they will nail it. They talked a lot about skill based shooting. Where'd that go? I said it back then - you can't balance a sports sim that way.
I will also add this nailing signature dribbling shouldn't be a hard concept to do if you have the motion capture resources available and time to get it in. I never claimed dribbling would save this game because if the rest of the gameplay is a$$ not many will buy it point blank period. Actually I said this above. The point about skill based shooting I don't even see how that is mentioned.

Skill based shooting doesn't even belong in the conversation. You can't "nail" shooting by making it a stick skill. That feature isn't in Live14 and was a bad concept/idea in Elite11 in my opinion. There is a difference between trying to bring about a new skill for shot success based on skill vs. "nailing" signature dribbling. So when they were talking that stick skill stuff in Elite11 I wasn't buying it. I actually had no intentions of buying Elite11 because it appeared arcadey and the animations were wonky. I really don't care what they were saying in Elite11 because it is a totally different view with 14. Hockey guy didn't know what he was doing and they didn't see enough success in Live 10 which was their best effort.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA Live »