Home

How NBA Live Could Dethrone NBA 2K

This is a discussion on How NBA Live Could Dethrone NBA 2K within the NBA Live forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA Live
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 10-09-2013, 08:01 PM   #57
ERA

The 24th Letter's Arena

OVR: 38
Re: How NBA Live Could Dethrone NBA 2K

I wonder if well have to manually switch hands like in Elite '11....that was a complete turn off for me...
Old 10-09-2013, 08:22 PM   #58
MVP

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet Sufferer
Watch the slo mo replay starting at about 22 seconds. He picks up his dribble and establishes 2 feet on the ground and proceeds to then jump backwards and then shoot.

From the beginning of time until recently that was an obvious travel, picking up your dribble with 2 feet touching the ground and then jumping backwards again was something a wrestler or football player would do in gym class and we would laugh, now it draws oohs and aahs.
You can also argue that he's in mid dribble and gathering when he had both feet down for a moment, right before he takes his hop off his right foot.

Once he completed his gather, he only took a hop backwards off the foot that was already planted by gather's end and landed in a semi-hop shot using his two-steps.

NBA rulebooks now state that you have two steps after you gather the ball (or one into a jump stop).

It's close but not as explicit a travel as what goes on sometimes.
Old 10-09-2013, 08:35 PM   #59
Rookie

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durdur752
This just supports Saviour's case (which he is right). When Kyrie is dribbling in place, Knight only shifts his feet. It's not until Kyrie dips forward to start his stepback that Knight moves and then proceeds to get all his ankles broke. Dribbling may be big in basketball but that's never been a big issue with basketball games (maybe signature dribbling though). It's always been physics in the paint with body collisions and footwork. Live hasn't shown anything hinting at physics outside of bounceTek. 2K, on the other hand, put in work for current (and obviously next-gen) with collisions between players. Live just may flop again this year.
MORE THAN 1,000 NEW ANIMATIONS
The new locomotion system includes more than 1,000 new animations that not only replicate the look and the feel of real basketball, but also control the player’s momentum. The system includes low speed turns, jogging turns, sprinting turns, strafing turns, aggressive on-ball defense animations, off-ball defense animations and low-urgency transition animations.This system not only improves the balance between ball handler and defender, but also results in an authentic system that is more responsive than ever. This phrase “authentically responsive” can work both ways, as players will now be penalized for unrealistic maneuvers.

REALISM IS REWARDED
Imposing penalties on unrealistic play helps improve the balance, depth and variety of NBA LIVE 14. For example, direction changes while moving quickly will be less responsive than when moving slowly. This allows us to recreate moments such as faking or sidestepping a defender that’s closing out a shooter after being out of position.The new locomotion and shared technologies of NBA LIVE 14 helps this year’s game immensely. But more importantly, it builds a new foundation of balance and realism that will improve the franchise for years to come.

Are physics going to be animation driven, or truly dynamic in regards to player contact and reaction?We don't have anything that's decided on the floor or "pre-canned." An example of that is a mid-air collision. When a defensive player goes up to block a finish at the rim, he's entirely independent from the offensive player.

Last edited by Jay Jay; 10-09-2013 at 08:43 PM.
Old 10-09-2013, 08:49 PM   #60
Rookie

OVR: 1
Why so many articles openly rooting for the EA game to succeed and the 2K game to fail?
Old 10-09-2013, 08:52 PM   #61
Just started!

OVR: 0

Crew games will do it. 2K10/2K11 had this feature and destroyed them. If EA gives this back to us we will jump ship to the Live 14 side and play until our fingers cant move. 2K killed this mode and EA can win all customers and earn our money easily.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-09-2013, 08:52 PM   #62
MVP

nick_sr's Arena

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by RateSports
2K owned Live well before Elite 11.
if you say so bruh
Old 10-09-2013, 08:59 PM   #63
MVP

tsbmolina's Arena

OVR: 2

It looks to me like the only thing NBA Live is going to dethrone at this time is me on the toilet. I mean we are coming up on only 5 weeks til the next-gen launch and not so much as a clip of some 5 on 5 action. Gotta give you credit for the wishful thinking though.

Last edited by tsbmolina; 10-09-2013 at 09:06 PM.
Old 10-09-2013, 09:04 PM   #64
MVP

KyotoCarl's Arena

OVR: 26

Interesting, and I agree with some of it, but saying 2K turned into a juggernaut after EA couldn't release a game isn't really true. 2K starting taking the lead while Live was still on the market.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

My thoughts on how replays should be handled:
http://www.operationsports.com/Kyoto...plays-replays/

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA Live »