Home

OS Roundtable: Does Live Stand a Chance?

This is a discussion on OS Roundtable: Does Live Stand a Chance? within the NBA Live forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA Live
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?

Old 09-13-2013, 02:35 AM   #65
Pro

OVR: 8
Live 10 was decent, yes, but anyone who thinks a sequel of that game would've been able to compete with 2k11 is utterly foolish. Live 10 gets props because it was the best Live in years. Now that they haven't released a game since Lebron wore a Cavs' jersey, people are acting like it was better than 2k10 lol. Getting 5 on 5 Bball correct is a multi year thing and takes a lot of fan feedback. EA is probably 3-5 years away from even getting a good all around experience out there.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-13-2013, 03:42 AM   #66
Pro

OVR: 2
Re: OS Roundtable: Does Live Stand a Chance?

Even though 2k is far ahead in current gen, the new consoles set a level playing field in my view, so what I really hope is that we will get two great basketball videogames, if they deserve it, I will purchase both...

Cheers!
Old 09-13-2013, 04:05 AM   #67
MVP

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by donp1981
Mike Tyson was proven until he met James "buster" Douglas. Before the fight it was a sure thing that he would walk all over him based on his past record. they stepped in the ring and Tyson got knocked the f*** out. We can't be so sure 2k will hold the title in next gen until we see some more. Live 14 could be buster Douglas!
Worst analogy ever. Development studios don't just fold because of some random lucky punch by an upstart.

This is more like the Heat being defeated in the Finals by an NBA expansion team in its first year after winning 3 straight championships and signing another great free agent in the off season.
Old 09-13-2013, 05:57 AM   #68
Rookie

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHypeMachine6
I beg to differ, 2K Sports does have something to prove, it's next gen consoles, clean slate for both EA & 2K so statements like couldn't compete on current gen mean very little. And having the licensing of the NBA, NFL, FIFA, NHL is just plain smart on EA's part giving them access to real tv broadcast presentation, instead of allowing a rap artist to smear his brand all over an NBA game, thats real authentic.
While I agree with you that 2k has a lot to prove, Live has MORE to prove because of its consecutive failures. There is no such thing as "clean slates" when it comes to sports games and even if live had 4 years of development time we cannot be sure that they were developing the game the whole time they were absent.

But to answer the question, of course live has a chance right now because we haven't seen anything substantial from both parties so right now it can go either way (based on what we know so far).
Old 09-13-2013, 06:35 AM   #69
Pro

OVR: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by poloelite
Live 10 was decent, yes, but anyone who thinks a sequel of that game would've been able to compete with 2k11 is utterly foolish. Live 10 gets props because it was the best Live in years. Now that they haven't released a game since Lebron wore a Cavs' jersey, people are acting like it was better than 2k10 lol. Getting 5 on 5 Bball correct is a multi year thing and takes a lot of fan feedback. EA is probably 3-5 years away from even getting a good all around experience out there.
Like I said right NOW they would be neck and neck not that next year after live 10.
Building off live 10 would have been best for EA.
Old 09-13-2013, 07:36 AM   #70
Pro

OVR: 5
I won't even give Live a look this year, and if they come out with it next year still won't give it a look. Call me a 2k fan (I do love their NBA), but Live will do decent but still won't be a game changer. You will have the fans of Live Series come back, and of course people going to try a new game.

One thing I think is funny is how everyone says "Live is coming out on next gen so all their resources are in one bag and how next gen everyone is going to be on the same playing field." Not to say that Live is going to be terrible, but when the 360 and PS3 we had madden and what they shown before the game was released and everyone was going bat crazy over it. Then we got it and it was nothing we expected and was worst. You get the whole "3 year plan" so I guess when Live doesn't do well I can always resort to hearing people say "It's their first year back on a new system and they are still learning" or "It's the first year in the 3 year plan!"

Again it all comes down to play style. 2k is sim (i personally like it) so I stick with that. If you like it more arcade style then Live is your game. Multiple choices for sports is good, but to actually believe that EA can complete with 2k in the first year of next gen is pretty crazy. Only thing EA would have better is online servers cause even I will admit it is frustrating with all the errors with their online association. As for gameplay Live, for me, will never come close to 2k ever since 2k is sim and I tend to go in that direction. Unless some crazy reason Live try's to be sim then maybe I would look into it.
Old 09-13-2013, 08:48 AM   #71
Rookie

OVR: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by EAGLESFAN10
Hell yeah Live stands a chance

the thing that make LMAO is how fans of 2K think that Next-Gen will automatically be better than Live based on past history

lets put it this way Madden and NCAA were good XBOX/PS2 days but when it came to Current-Gen they took steps back

Also 2K has been slacking with NO competition on Current-Gen these last few years but some people don't want to acknowledge it

I know I'm probably one of the few who want ALL of EA's games to be good Next-gen but that's just me
There is no guarantee that Live will be any better in the next generation either. Live was a lot of fun until it came to the PS3 and 360. Now it hasnt been released in 3 years...why should we believe it will be any better come the PS4 and Xbox 1?

At the very least 2k has a solid foundation that they will be building from. It could very well suck next gen but I have more confidence in 2k making a good basketball game than I do with EA making one, based on their history. Im pushing for Live to be good so we, the consumer, can get the best possible product or products.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-13-2013, 09:01 AM   #72
Rookie

OVR: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincy14fan
I won't even give Live a look this year, and if they come out with it next year still won't give it a look. Call me a 2k fan (I do love their NBA), but Live will do decent but still won't be a game changer. You will have the fans of Live Series come back, and of course people going to try a new game.

One thing I think is funny is how everyone says "Live is coming out on next gen so all their resources are in one bag and how next gen everyone is going to be on the same playing field." Not to say that Live is going to be terrible, but when the 360 and PS3 we had madden and what they shown before the game was released and everyone was going bat crazy over it. Then we got it and it was nothing we expected and was worst. You get the whole "3 year plan" so I guess when Live doesn't do well I can always resort to hearing people say "It's their first year back on a new system and they are still learning" or "It's the first year in the 3 year plan!"

Again it all comes down to play style. 2k is sim (i personally like it) so I stick with that. If you like it more arcade style then Live is your game. Multiple choices for sports is good, but to actually believe that EA can complete with 2k in the first year of next gen is pretty crazy. Only thing EA would have better is online servers cause even I will admit it is frustrating with all the errors with their online association. As for gameplay Live, for me, will never come close to 2k ever since 2k is sim and I tend to go in that direction. Unless some crazy reason Live try's to be sim then maybe I would look into it.
It's like everyone is waiting for the EA "glory days" to come back. A lot of these same people never bought a Dreamcast and witnessed NFL2k day one. Had they, all would have switched. A lot of people stuck on Madden and choked until it finally came on PS2 in 3d. Fast forward and NBA 2k11 forced people to switch, no longer could the hold onto Live, so they hold a resentment to that. You get so much more with other brands but it's the brand people grew up with and hated admitting that it got stomped. I admit, I dislike EA, mainly to the monopoly of the NFL, yet I've enjoyed GrandSlam over Topspin. Lakers vs Celtics was the reason I begged for a Genesis,, so I was an EA fanboy from the beginning, although I preferred Joe Montana over Madden every year.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA Live »