Home

NBA Live 14 Video - Quick Glimpse of BounceTek Demo

This is a discussion on NBA Live 14 Video - Quick Glimpse of BounceTek Demo within the NBA Live forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA Live
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 06-17-2013, 08:56 PM   #33
Greatest caddie ever!

youvalss's Arena

OVR: 42
Re: NBA Live 14 Video - Quick Glimpse of BounceTek Demo

I have no issues with them implementing new (next-gen) technologies, even if I'm not a big fan if the buzz words.

The thing is, I think this technology might be good and put a solid a foundation for the following titles. However, it may also mean that, again, it'll take them a couple of years to get there. They simply keep putting foundations again and again - but by the time the game shines, something happens and they start over (new team members/new generation/wrong decisions...you name it).

Hopefully, I'm wrong and Live 14 is solid from day one. Looking forward to seeing the game in action - unedited 5 on 5 gameplay.
Old 06-17-2013, 09:28 PM   #34
MVP

KyotoCarl's Arena

OVR: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by mango_prom
Just like 2k14. Except if people are already attached to a brand and assume that liking 2k13 allows any prediction whether 2k14 is worth another 60 bucks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 13
But...their presentation was about...dribbling...and the demo they had available, was showcasing the dribbling engine. What...did you expect them to...talk about?
I think you missed my point. My point was that this is exactly what they showed us with elite and everyone knows how that panned out. Now, when live returns, people, including me, want to see hard proof of what they can do with a basketball game, not just a new dribble technology.

Since elite was the game that was supposed to come after live 10, showing us a new dribble system is quote alright since we knew it would be integrated in an already good base game. Now, a few years later, when no live games have been made after alot of the promises, we need hard proof that they've got something good going.

Mango, 2K already has a good foundation that we know plays good so just showing us a teaser of the graphics and animations is alright since we know they have a solid foundation that this will be integrated into.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

My thoughts on how replays should be handled:
http://www.operationsports.com/Kyoto...plays-replays/
Old 06-17-2013, 11:59 PM   #35
Banned

JerseySuave4's Arena

OVR: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by mango_prom
Sorry, English is not my 1st language, so...I know "what" marketing matters, but I asked "why" it should matter at all to people. Maybe I wasn't clear enough. Was really more of a rhetorical question since I'm somewhat puzzled how easy it is to get people hyped up for a product looking at the 2k14 trailer thread. BounceTek is a buzzword...but so was IsoMotion. So was "Dynamic Shot Generator". So are "Signature Skills". Sounds flashier than "Situational rating modifiers", but is just as much of a gimmick as EAs new favourite word.
And you're right about the Lebron campaign. Basically, I'd suppose most kids will buy 2k14 no matter how Live turns out. It could be the best game of all time, won't matter.
But I absolutely agree that until now, EA hasn't given much reason to be optimistic. On the other hand, personally, I'd say 2k has to start from scratch, too. 2k13 didn't impress me at all and the next gen version should be much different not only in terms of graphics, but also gameplay mechanics. So both companies are off to a fresh start.

The thing with all the talk about sig dribbling...while I like the idea, a big problem is defensive counters. If players are really having differing dribble styles, how is EA going to handle collisions and defenders reacting to all the different moves realistically? Looking at the basketball games we've had until now, that's difficult enough to achieve with generic move sets. Are they going the canned animations route like 2k?
Could turn out great, but maybe it's too ambitious for a reboot...
I see that response in the Live forums a lot but it's dumb. 2k has continued to improve year after year, check the reviews (both consumer & critics). This isn't a Madden or NCAA Football type situation where people will say it's great no matter what or buy the game no matter what, 2k has earned the respect they get. So if people just choose 2k over Live, they are going based on recent past results most likely. One company has cancelled 2 games in 4 years, the other has gotten better each year. Why would 2k ever start from scratch? They've managed to build a solid foundation for a basketball game and the only thing they need to do is build and improve on that, not start all over. That'd be the dumbest decision.

As for EA's signature dribbling... it's the same stuff we've heard since NBA Elite. Ignoring the different flashy words EA has used for it, they've essentially been touting the same exact thing for the last 4 years. Not to mention dribbling is 1 facet of basketball.

People aren't hyped about the 2k14 trailer JUST because of how it looks. The excitement comes from seeing that while having in the back of your mind how good the 2k basketball games have been. The Madden trailer was nice looking but I didn't get the same excitement from that because Madden hasn't given me much to be excited for in a while.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-18-2013, 09:31 AM   #36
Pro

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyotoCarl
Mango, 2K already has a good foundation that we know plays good so just showing us a teaser of the graphics and animations is alright since we know they have a solid foundation that this will be integrated into.
I agree with everything you've said except this paragraph. 2k has fantastic graphics and animations, and I really wouldn't complain if 2k14 was using the exact same engine. But gameplay wise, I tend to disagree. Personally I feel like the current mechanics are flawed to a degree where a completely revamped next gen version makes more sense than continuing with what they've got right now. That's only a personal take of course, but for me 2k13 wasn't that impressive at all. Felt way too one dimensional and simple minded to be fun at least for me, in addition to issues that have been ignored since 2k3.

But you're right, sooner or later EA has to prove that their concepts work in a 5 on 5 context. I think that graphics aren't that important compared to gameplay. Even if it's only on par with 2k13, that's still good enough if it's playing great. Again, the main problem I see with the dribbling talk is not that it's gimmicky, but rather the difficulty of making ballhandler/defender interactions look natural without relying on canned animations too much.
Especially since they're rebooting the whole thing, they should focus on basics instead of too advanced concepts.

Does every player need individual animations? Don't think so. Maybe 3 different sets of moves for guards/forwards/big men to separate them on a fundamental level would be more than enough if balanced well, at least to me.
Basketball is one of the hardest sports to emulate in terms of one vs one interactions, so EA has to be careful about trying too hard. Especially since people are probably extra critical of every flaw Live 14 might have. They really need a nice foundation. A game with great basics and less game modes than 2k14 would be better than an unbalanced product trying too much at once.

Last edited by mango_prom; 06-18-2013 at 10:57 AM.
Old 06-18-2013, 09:38 AM   #37
JB4MVP

JODYE's Arena

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyotoCarl
I think you missed my point. My point was that this is exactly what they showed us with elite and everyone knows how that panned out. Now, when live returns, people, including me, want to see hard proof of what they can do with a basketball game, not just a new dribble technology.

Since elite was the game that was supposed to come after live 10, showing us a new dribble system is quote alright since we knew it would be integrated in an already good base game. Now, a few years later, when no live games have been made after alot of the promises, we need hard proof that they've got something good going.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
I already had this discussion with 23, but EA is actually making sound decisions at this point, by actually showcasing something that they know they do well, to generate a positive buzz. If you hadn't noticed, it worked out pretty well for them and garnered positive feedback from virtually everyone that got their hands on it at E3.

Does that mean it is going to be an amazing game? No. Does it mean that this dribbling tech will be great in a 5 on 5 setting? Maybe, maybe not, but the fact remains is that this is the first positive anything that Live has had in over 3 years. From a marketing stand point, they are executing a successful plan as of now.

And every company uses buzzwords. It's called selling your game.

Last edited by JODYE; 06-18-2013 at 09:49 AM.
Old 06-20-2013, 02:53 PM   #38
MVP

OVR: 14
Re: NBA Live 14 BounceTek demo footage at E3 from SportsNationESPN

How is "BounceTek" different from their previous dribble stick mechanic? That's what I want to know. It looks responsive and nice, but NBA Live has had a good dribble mechanic since 2010. Why is "BounceTek" so special to be the selling point of this game? EA loves buzzwords and engine names, etc. but is there a practical improvement or innovation here?
Old 06-20-2013, 05:12 PM   #39
MVP

TUSS11's Arena

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by eko718
How is "BounceTek" different from their previous dribble stick mechanic? That's what I want to know. It looks responsive and nice, but NBA Live has had a good dribble mechanic since 2010. Why is "BounceTek" so special to be the selling point of this game? EA loves buzzwords and engine names, etc. but is there a practical improvement or innovation here?
When the ball is release from the hand it supposedly becomes a separate entity with its own physics. I.e. no more ball warping; something similar to how the ball reacts in FIFA.
Old 06-21-2013, 03:40 AM   #40
Lockdown Defender

Rockie_Fresh88's Arena

OVR: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by TUSS11
When the ball is release from the hand it supposedly becomes a separate entity with its own physics. I.e. no more ball warping; something similar to how the ball reacts in FIFA.
That means the ball is live? I hope so
#1 Laker fan
First Team Defense !!!

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA Live »