Home

Operation Sports MLB 13 The Show Community Impressions Thread

This is a discussion on Operation Sports MLB 13 The Show Community Impressions Thread within the MLB The Show Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 04-12-2013, 09:41 PM   #817
MVP

OVR: 1
Re: Operation Sports MLB 13 The Show Community Impressions Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodweaver
Do you have the latest patch?

How do you have the DEFENSIVE SHIFT option set?

If you have the FIELDING and THROW DECISION option set to AUTO, then there is no difference between a CPU controlled player and a human "controlled" player. Over time (meaning not on a play by play basis) you will see similar results barring any extraneous circumstances (injuries, etc.)

Do you have a video examples of a player making plays you feel his attributes do not warrant? It's difficult to quantify without these examples since we are talking about MLB caliber players.
Yes, I have all fielding set to auto, so CPU controls all fielding. Well, there is a difference. This last game I played, Kershaw pitching, I tried MoM mode because I trust Kershaw pitching more than I trust myself pitching for him Now, other than when Kershaw pitches, I do it. Okay, suddenly my team is fielding like a high school team, five errors! The killer is they get an earned run with one hit:

First batter out. Second batter hit a single but my outfielder throws wildly and runner on first advances to third base (hit was scored a single). Next batter grounds out to Kershaw, who is an excellent fielder, and smart enough to throw home in real baseball. However, instead of throwing home, he throws to first and gets the out. Why should he throw home and get the runner? Because they have to score a run, at least that is my impression. Next batter is out to end the inning. Now, why is Kershaw charged an earned run?!

The game was against Pirates and they did not make any errors.

I should add that when that ball was hit to Kershaw, the score was 0-0.

Just finished playing another game against the Pirates. Barmes went to the edge of outfield grass and with a jump throw, the kind that Andrelton Simmons used to do for CPU but not for me, and threw out the runner going to first. Barmes has no errors in five games, Simmons, playing for me, has 2 errors in 5 games.

Let's compare the two with regard for fielding:

Barmes: Fielding-55, Arm Strength-73, Arm Accuracy-56, Reaction 80.

Simmons: Fielding-83, Arm Strength-89, Arm Accuracy-76, Reaction-77.

I do have a video of Barmes making that fantastic play from edge of outfield grass towards third base making a terrific jump throw to first to nail the runner.

Forgot the other question you asked, yes, I do have the latest patch, and I started this Season Mode with it installed.

Also, don't know if you aware of this, with auto fielding ON, including throws, the defensive alignment is apparently set for normal and straight away both infield and outfield. With a man on first and one or no outs, when I look at the alignment setting, it is not double play, and I check it for the batter up at the plate.

Last edited by Cavicchi; 04-13-2013 at 10:09 AM.
Old 04-12-2013, 11:40 PM   #818
The Future

seanjeezy's Arena

OVR: 34

Anyone notice that defensive indifference was added this year? Another cool touch that adds to the realism.
Old 04-13-2013, 12:38 AM   #819
Rookie

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavicchi
Yes, I have all fielding set to auto, so CPU controls all fielding. Well, there is a difference. This last game I played, Kershaw pitching, I tried MoM mode because I trust Kershaw pitching more than I trust myself pitching for him Now, other than when Kershaw pitches, I do it. Okay, suddenly my team is fielding like a high school team, five errors! The killer is they get an earned run with one hit:

First batter out. Second batter hit a single but my outfielder throws wildly and runner on first advances to third base (hit was scored a single). Next batter grounds out to Kershaw, who is an excellent fielder, and smart enough to throw home in real baseball. However, instead of throwing home, he throws to first and gets the out. Why should he throw home and get the runner? Because they have to score a run, at least that is my impression. Next batter is out to end the inning. Now, why is Kershaw charged an earned run?!

The game was against Pirates and they did not make any errors.

I should add that when that ball was hit to Kershaw, the score was 0-0.

Just finished playing another game against the Pirates. Barmes went to the edge of outfield grass and with a jump throw, the kind that Andrelton Simmons used to do for CPU but not for me, and threw out the runner going to first. Barmes has no errors in five games, Simmons, playing for me, has 2 errors in 5 games.

Let's compare the two with regard for fielding:

Barmes: Fielding-55, Arm Strength-73, Arm Accuracy-56, Reaction 80.

Simmons: Fielding-83, Arm Strength-89, Arm Accuracy-76, Reaction-77.

I do have a video of Barmes making that fantastic play from edge of outfield grass towards third base making a terrific jump throw to first to nail the runner.
You were out-fielded over the last two games? And your fielders are better?! Bug report! I'm sorry. I'll stop the sarcasm. I'm sure we've all had stretches where our Ds were better than the CPUs, and some where they weren't. Two-time gold glover Adam Jones dropped a pretty routine flyball tonight that cost the O's the game. Gold glovers make errors and scrubs make web gems on occasion. In the long run Simmons will perform better. In the short-run it will vary. Fine to hate it when it happens, but it is actually way more realistic than for it to never happen.
Old 04-13-2013, 02:45 PM   #820
Rookie

OVR: 0

I am very disappointed with the free agent signing. I'm sure some of it is realistic but it seems like having chosen a poor club (my favorite, the Rockies) the best FA's don't want to sign with me and every year I lose my 2 or 3 best players that hit FA because they aren't interested. How am I suppose to improve my franchise when this consistently happens.
Old 04-13-2013, 07:31 PM   #821
MVP

I played a few more games and noticed something very interesting. As I said above, with one or no outs and man on first I wasn't seeing double-play depth in defensive alignment when actually playing games, not MoM. Today I did find one occasion where it was set to double-play depth, and another time when it wasn't, very strange. This is by looking at how the defensive alignment is set for batter up under situations that call for double play depth.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-13-2013, 08:32 PM   #822
Rookie

OVR: 0

After playing a few more games, I have noticed that the miracle diving catches and Willie Mays catches are still in the game and done quite frequently by the CPU.

I have not noticed defensive indifference. Is that a stat that can be looked up?
Old 04-13-2013, 09:25 PM   #823
Rookie

JaySwizzlez's Arena

I play on a older T.V., and with no 720p, the game doesn't show all aspects of the 720p screen. For example, in franchise, the player cards don't show ratings in the top right corner, making it very tedious to trade. I really enjoy this game, but this is kinda a game-breaker for me. RTTS it is, I suppose.
Old 04-15-2013, 09:54 AM   #824
MVP

Heroesandvillains's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanjeezy
Anyone notice that defensive indifference was added this year? Another cool touch that adds to the realism.
No way! It's been on my Wishlist for a while.

Can you describe how it works in the game? Meaning, does it actually say Defensive Indifference in the box score or in the Game Log? Or is it just Matty V. that mentions it?

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen »