Home

Operation Sports MLB 13 The Show Community Impressions Thread

This is a discussion on Operation Sports MLB 13 The Show Community Impressions Thread within the MLB The Show Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 03-25-2013, 05:46 PM   #697
MVP

OVR: 1
Re: Operation Sports MLB 13 The Show Community Impressions Thread

While I love the game, there is one impression that doesn't sit well with me. Harper gets a Vision rating in the 60's and Trout gets it in low 40's. Considering Trout hit .326 and Harper hit .270, my impression is the game likes Harper better and gives him bonus points, and I find that troublesome. I feel players who have major league experience should be rated on what they did in the major leagues, not what they might do on a fantasy team.

Posey is another example. Runners stole 87 bases on Posey last year, but Posey is given better arm accuracy than...Yadier Molina!
Old 03-25-2013, 06:12 PM   #698
Banned

XxJustAguessxX's Arena

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavicchi
While I love the game, there is one impression that doesn't sit well with me. Harper gets a Vision rating in the 60's and Trout gets it in low 40's. Considering Trout hit .326 and Harper hit .270, my impression is the game likes Harper better and gives him bonus points, and I find that troublesome. I feel players who have major league experience should be rated on what they did in the major leagues, not what they might do on a fantasy team.

Posey is another example. Runners stole 87 bases on Posey last year, but Posey is given better arm accuracy than...Yadier Molina!
So rating changes are needed?
Old 03-25-2013, 06:43 PM   #699
MVP

OVR: 9

Quote:

"Maybe those are the kinds of calls that you get when you have your picture on the cover of the game...."

Just wait for Knight & Co's Rosters. They fix all of that stuff.

~syf
Old 03-25-2013, 08:18 PM   #700
Rookie

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanjeezy
This has probably been mentioned already, but the CPU has some wacky depth chart logic... After ending spring training my MLB team has 7 starters, 3 catchers, and 5 outfielders. It seems like it chooses the 25 players with the highest overall regardless of position (that are on the 40-man of course)
Lol, it doesn't HAVE depth chart logic, which is the problem.
I've had to redo complete rosters at the beginning of Franchises because teams stockpile Relief Pitchers (up to 12 on some teams) in addition to taking ONE (1!) bench player into the regular season.

That and I'm again seeing things like an NL team with
Votto at 1B, and someone like Rizzo in AAA, trade a key player for another 1B like Ortiz or Helton...

They really need to work on a depth chart system for this game.
Old 03-25-2013, 10:09 PM   #701
Pro

skow05's Arena

OVR: 9

Quote:

Vision doesn't factor into BA - it deals with BB's I believe.

Regardless, you are correct, they should probably be more even in that regard. With a slight lean towards Trout.

Harper - 56 BB's in 597 PA's in 2012 (9.3% BB Rate)
Trout - 76 BB's in 774 PA's combined in 2011 & 2012 (9.8% BB Rate)

Edit: I think I got them switched. Vision might deal with strikeout's while Discipline deals with walk's.

Harper - 120 SO's in 597 PA's in 2012 (20.1% K Rate)
Trout - 169 SO's in 774 PA's combined in 2011 & 2012 (21.8% K Rate)

Still should be more even, and both strikeout rates are below average.

So, YES, they should be pretty equal in terms of vision and discipline.

Someone, quick, take away my CPU. lol

Cowboys

Knicks
PSN - Skow

Last edited by skow05; 03-26-2013 at 12:57 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-26-2013, 12:46 AM   #702
Rookie

tbone1's Arena

OVR: 7

After playing this game for a couple of weeks I can honestly say this game is simply beautiful in motion.
The lighting, ball physics, and animations are all amazing!
However the true broadcast 2.0 falls short.
It feels incomplete and a step back from years past.
The commentary feels like its missing lines.
The replays after big plays are not triggering.
I just hit an inside the park homer and it cut straight to a reliever coming out of the bullpen.
I threw out a runner at home and it cuts to the next batter
Maybe its just me but it seems to be not working properly
It was touted on the fact sheet their was upgraded stadium ambiance and hundreds of presentation animations and i'm not seeing them.

Overall the gameplay is fantastic.
Hopefully the presentation aspect can be fixed up a little.
Old 03-26-2013, 02:23 AM   #703
Rookie

OVR: 0
This game is a blast to play. I've stuck to Postseason Mode mostly as I wait for Knight's OSFM rosters to come out. I've also played a small amount of RTTS as a position player.
Overall Impressions:
This is a well-polished, fun game to play. It "feels" more like it's real-life counterpart more than any other sports game I've played.
The biggest flaw I've seen in the game without playing Franchise Mode is the stutter, which seems to be either rampant or non-existent in my games. Enough has been said about this, and everyone knows that it needs badly to be fixed, it's just a matter of finding the culprit and fixing it.
I'd love to have a better way of picking up the pitch out of the pitcher's hand visually, without Guess Pitch involved. Maybe with PS4, the graphics will be good enough to be able to pick up the true spin. In lieu of next-gen graphics, I liked MVP Baseball's color system.
Pitching with Analog is fun and challenging, but I still rarely walk guys. I can increase the difficulty, but then I'll have more walks AND give up hits and homers left and right. Then it's off to Slider-Land.
A dev-tuned, out-of-the-box Sim Mode for all difficulty levels could fix Walk and Strike Frequency without forcing the user to run 75-game tests and devote so much time to Sliders. I've posted a suggestion in the Bug Report section at the Show's website under my username, lvann4x, if anyone cares to see this idea in more detail and vote on it. This would give the idea some support for the dev's to see.
Errors, Homeruns, and mid-game Starting Pitcher injuries have all been way too frequent through 12 games in postseason mode.
Picking off runners is still too frequent, and throwing errors on a pickoff are still way too frequent.
However, this game is still very fun to play. It brings the best of baseball to life with great visuals.

Postseason Mode:
Great mode for those of us who wait for OSFM. Plenty of drama. The crowd seems to be at full noise-level a bit too often, i.e. when the Home team's batting with an 0-2 count in the bottom of the 4th. The crowd typically doesn't get in a full frenzy when their own hitter is in an 0-2 hole.
I like the fact that the crowd is amped up, it just needs to be tuned a bit.
I'd like to see the ability to switch my Pitching Rotation to a 4-man or 3-man rotation if I see fit. A small thing since you can always pick your starter before each game.
I'd like to see some team celebrations after winning the LCS. I play on Fast Play Mode, but that shouldn't affect any postgame presentations after winning a league pennant.

RTTS:
I LOVE the fact that I can see what happens leading up to a play involving my player! This is something I asked for a year or two ago (maybe on here, maybe on The Show's forum), and the dev's found a great way to execute it!
This gives much more context and meaning to my player's actions. Great job on this one!
RTTS is already a great mode, and it's gotten better this year.

What I'd like to see next year:
A Fielding Mini-Mode. Not just from RTTS first person view, but a Franchise Mode view as well. I always have auto fielding on in Franchise and Postseason Mode because I don't want to learn fielding on the fly. I manually throw to bases, but manually controlling my fielder just results in too many cartoonish Little League plays.
I'd love to have a Fielding Practice Mode from the Camera View of MY choice so I could get a bunch of reps without having to go through 20-30 important Franchise games handicapped by my fielding inadequacy. I don't use Analog Throwing for the same reason.
I used to love controlling my fielders in past-gen games, but the learning curve is too steep now that I don't have hours of time to play anymore.

On that note, I've gotta run. I'll finish my impressions later.

Don't forget to vote on lvann4x Bug Reports if you agree!
Old 03-26-2013, 08:25 AM   #704
Rookie

cbrown119's Arena

OVR: 2
I don't post very often, but I have an impression that I would like to share...I feel the most important impression.

For the first time, my 10 year old son asked ME, if I wanted to play baseball!

Thats never happened before (I am talking about video games, not the real thing--there's still too much snow on the ground)

So, I would like to thank scea for co-op play!

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen »