Home

Operation Sports MLB 13 The Show Community Impressions Thread

This is a discussion on Operation Sports MLB 13 The Show Community Impressions Thread within the MLB The Show Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 03-23-2013, 12:20 PM   #689
Rookie

3fiddy's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Operation Sports MLB 13 The Show Community Impressions Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by pistolpete
I think it was pretty easy because I think the default speed now is about the same as my slider adjusted 2k12 speed. Before it was impossible going between games between the speed differences, but now it's easy.

One thing that will always get me is that high fastball that I always think is a curve coming out. I'm talking about the super high one. It's easy to read it as curve and swing incredibly late. But the good thing is you never make contact with it, so at worst it's a strike. Sometimes it's the hanging curve which is at minimum a double.
I bought 2k12 for ps2 to have something to do at my gfs house plus it was a week before the show was released so I was dying for some baseball lol. My first game on the show I would swing at a fastball as soon as it left the pitchers hand. My timing was way off and yes impossible at first lol
Old 03-23-2013, 05:17 PM   #690
DJ
Hall Of Fame

DJ's Arena

OVR: 47

The hit variety is very noticeable in my early moments with this game. I've seen bloops, flares, line drives and moon shots.

Still working on my timing at the plate. Last game I did have 9 hits, so that's good.

CPU is throwing too many strikes on default, so I'll need to adjust those sliders and also need to lower fielder arm strength; guys all have cannons on default.

So, like every other year, just minor changes from default to fit my gaming needs.

Using different controls has also freshened this series up. Analog pitching is a blast!

I am really happy with my purchase. Thanks for always producing a quality product, SCEA.
PGA Tour 2K23 (PS5)
Old 03-24-2013, 12:03 AM   #691
The Future

seanjeezy's Arena

OVR: 34

This has probably been mentioned already, but the CPU has some wacky depth chart logic... After ending spring training my MLB team has 7 starters, 3 catchers, and 5 outfielders. It seems like it chooses the 25 players with the highest overall regardless of position (that are on the 40-man of course)
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-24-2013, 09:50 AM   #692
The Lama

Armor and Sword's Arena

OVR: 0

I am getting constantly blown away by the new ball physics. The hit types this year are unmatched in video game baseball history.

Just gorgeous to see flares looping over infielders, down the line, dropping in just in front of outfielders.

With all due respect to MLB 12 which is an incredible game as well.....I can't play it right now and may not for a very long time. You just could not get this type of hit variety on 12. So many hard hit balls caught for outs all the time. Even with last years slider set (which was a gem) you still had the initial growing pains of Ball Physics 1.0

This year......true ball physics.

Passed balls and wild pitches are superbly recreated. Really awesome.

Are there some bugs I am seeing? Yeah of course. It is a video game. I had a play at home last night where I gunned down Dustin Pedroia. He ran right into the catcher but the collision detection failed badly and the animation was an ugly moment that made you realize....hey it is a video game.

But you know what. Who cares. When you played Intellevision baseball back in 1982 did you think we would be here playing MLB 13?

I had no idea because at that time I thought Intellevision baseball was the greatest game ever made.

OSFM....around the corner....then my Yankees franchise will begin. With a slight quirk.

SCEA....thank you thank you thank you for putting my last name in the game this year.

You have made my year!

I will create myself and my son and put us on the Yankees as a father son combo. Myself? A career minor leaguer getting one last shot to play in the Show as a 3B on the verge of a magical career year while his young 19 year old son works his way onto the big league club in the spring as an eventual replacement for the legendary captain Derrick Jeter.

Seriously can't wait to play this out.
NHL23 - Panthers YR1
Star Wars Outlaws

Follow me on Twitch
https://www.twitch.tv/armorandsword
Old 03-24-2013, 12:16 PM   #693
Rookie

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armor & Sword
I am getting constantly blown away by the new ball physics. The hit types this year are unmatched in video game baseball history.

Just gorgeous to see flares looping over infielders, down the line, dropping in just in front of outfielders.

This year......true ball physics.

Passed balls and wild pitches are superbly recreated. Really awesome.
A&S, I couldn't agree more. It looks fantastic. I've seen a couple of those seeing-eye bloopers drop just a foot beyond the reach of the rapidly retreating 2B and SS and in front of the charging outfielders. Never saw these before. And I'm seeing things like foul popups balls down the lines that the slower outfielders actually can't reach.

In the pre-release advertising they mentioned the improved physics to cut down on ground-rule doubles--which is certainly true--but it is SO much more than just that. To be honest, it's probably what I was hoping for when they announced the new physics changes for '12. And while it was much better last year, it wasn't quite there. So it's great that they went back right away this year and further modified it and got it to where it is. Physics 2.0 = To me it puts '13 head and shoulders above what was a great game last year.
Old 03-24-2013, 05:40 PM   #694
MVP

Heroesandvillains's Arena

OVR: 27

I can't get over the outfield play this year!

CPU fielders just SO ORGANICALLY misplay balls and make mental mistakes this year. Last night, B.J. Upton simply flat out misplayed a groundball in the outfield corner causing the CPU to empty the bases on me. When I saw him misjudge it, I was going nuts with excitement like I do when watching games in real life. LOL!

I'll have to post a few of my videos sometime.

This game just plays so well between the lines right now. I gave up 10+ runs in back to back games, and then came back to pitch an incredible outing with Mike Minor for a little Cubs-killing redemption.

The unpredictability on a game-to-game basis is the best this series has seen yet. Pitcher Confidence has been almost perfectly refined...allowing me to get almost no-hit by Cliff Lee, but smack down Cole Hammels in the very next battle.

Good stuff.

Last edited by Heroesandvillains; 03-24-2013 at 05:49 PM.
Old 03-24-2013, 08:36 PM   #695
MVP

zippy2212's Arena

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ
I am still adjusting. In fact, I may have to RAISE the pitch speed (from default) to try and eliminate all of my early swings.
This is exactly what I had to do. I was striking out 10-12 times a game because I was early on everything, even fastballs. Finally I upped the pitch speed 2 notches and now the game is perfect. I am still early on off-speed stuff like I should be but overall it plays almost perfect for me.

This game has just amazed me with the ball physics. I've seen bloopers fall over the infielders heads in front of the outfielders than others that looked like the would only to have an infielder track it down and make an over the shoulder catch. Which coincidentally turned into a DP since I sent the runner from first thinking it would fall in. But I thinking one of the best signs of the new ball physics I've seen to date was a pop up I hit yesterday that fell between 3 players in short right center field and I was able to leg out a triple on it. All three fielders where chasing it then the CF and 2B stopped to avoid a collision and the RF dove to try to catch it only to have it roll out into the gap. It was a thing of beauty.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-25-2013, 12:58 PM   #696
MVP

OVR: 9

I tried the Button Accuracy option last night, and thought it was pretty well done. I like that the meter for throwing has the sweet spot in the middle, thereby having the possibility of a throw that is too soft, or too hard, depending on the fielder's position, and his attributes... Very nice.

That being said, I bumped up my fielding to the Legend level, and am sticking with Analog, No feedback. Can't wait to see what happens...

Now, with my short time with the Button/Accuracy, I came up with a killer awesome idea, that hopefully someone is listening to (reading) and will think about this addition, and I would be interested in feedback from the crew.

When going for a pickoff, why not incorporate the same meter as used in the new fielding application, in the pitcher's pick off attempt? The green bar would be bigger for guys with a higher-rated pickoff move, would be smaller for big guys with slow feet, would have a quicker motion for leftys, and would add some sense of actually having control over the pickoff moves, as opposed to praying the ball does not go into the stands. The meter would not be on the screen until the pick off attempt, so it would not be instrusive, and I think, would add to the ability to have some control.

Thoughts?

~syf

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen »