Home

Operation Sports MLB 13 The Show Community Impressions Thread

This is a discussion on Operation Sports MLB 13 The Show Community Impressions Thread within the MLB The Show Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 03-07-2013, 11:45 PM   #321
Banned

royals852's Arena

OVR: 9
Re: Operation Sports MLB 13 The Show Community Impressions Thread

Finally started to hit. Lowered the diff to all-star. Set sliders to pitch speed to +2, Contact -3, power -1, timing default, solid hits -1. 1st game with those i got 2 runs on 8 hits. Second game had 3 runs on 10 then broke out in the 8th with 5 runs on 6 hits.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-08-2013, 02:35 AM   #322

Majingir's Arena

OVR: 22

Don't know what's happened...I haven't touched sliders that impact this, yet somehow CPU is hitting crazy against me now.

Braves(CPU)-7 runs,15 hits
Nats(me)-3 runs,7 hits

CPU with 3HR,2 doubles
Me with 1HR,2 doubles

7TH INNING let up 4 hits,2 runs

73% of CPU pitches were strikes(I moved strike frequency to 1)
79% of my pitches were strikes

I haven't checked what my timing was in other games, but my timing seemed real early in this game. 50% of my swings were early.

And any tips on how to read low ball pitches better? I keep on chasing these pitches all the time and it's annoying, especially when these pitches are ALWAYS sliders,curves or sinkers(where the starting point is in the strike zone,but the end location is out of strike zone), so it looks like its gonna be a strike, and last second it drops for a ball.
Old 03-08-2013, 07:03 AM   #323
Rookie

TheDeej's Arena

OVR: 1

First I have to say I always love the show. Rtts is an amazing game mode; the best on-field experience. With that said I understand the design choice to take the broadcast style commenting away and opt for a more on the field sound experience. I personally enjoy the old broadcast style better but still enjoy the new experience as well. However, I wish the team had decided to go all in. The immersion created by the new style is great but then rudely interrupted by the quasi broadcast comments that sound like they are coming from a tin box. I wish it had been all or none. All broadcast or all 'on the field.' Because for me the point of the new style is to create immersion that is underminded by the middle of the road approach.

Just my two cents. I know it won't be changed this year. But maybe next year it will be all or none.
Old 03-08-2013, 07:33 AM   #324
All Star

SoxFan01605's Arena

OVR: 38

Really starting to appreciate the added hit variety. The variation in height on pop-ups, loopers, and fly-balls is much better. I've seen some nice new choppers and bounces as well. The only down side is that Matt keeps constantly repeating pop up calls. I swear I've heard these two lines: "It popped up...WAY UP" and "It's a major league pop up and then some..." about a million times already...lol.

I've also seen some nice errors-a flat out dropped routine catch at first, a juggling drop in the OF, and a really smooth looking (in terms of realism...athleticism, not so much) under-throw to a pitcher covering 1B that led to an interesting stumbling, twirling dance move by Lackey (definitely different than the old one that's been in for years). Fielding animations as a whole seem better and more fluid (dives/jumps are also more responsive) to the point where I've misplayed balls out of the habit of waiting for the AI to take over and realizing to late that I was still in control. I saw a really smooth DP animation that looked new (pissed that I forgot to save it).

I feel like check swing have been harder for me to pull off so far. I'm not sure if that's an actual change or me trying to get reacclimated.

I know this has been mentioned and reported, but sim stats definitely need work. HRs are back to being off-the-wall in several sims and Ks are definitely low. Saves continue to be high as well, but I'm used to accounting for that. RBIs were high in a few sims as well, but not dramatically so in most cases (there was one sim were 3 guys-Pujols, Cabrera, and I forget who else has 100+ RBIs by the break. 4 guys finished with over 150 in that sim also). ERAs seem better than in previous years though.

I recall some complaints about a steep drop in overall after the initial ST, but I didn't see it. Guys like Ortiz were still rated high. They did drop off steadily and steeply over the season, but personally, I think that is outstanding. Progression/Regression seems to really be as advertised and should be an important factor this year.

All of the above sims/tests were done with the initial roster update.

EDIT: Another thing I forgot to mention is that the AI seems much more aggressive with base stealing...and with odd choices too. I had Ortiz and Salty attempt steals against me most recently (which is what reminded me to post this).

Last edited by SoxFan01605; 03-08-2013 at 08:58 AM. Reason: stolen bases
Old 03-08-2013, 07:46 AM   #325
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majingir
Don't know what's happened...I haven't touched sliders that impact this, yet somehow CPU is hitting crazy against me now.

Braves(CPU)-7 runs,15 hits
Nats(me)-3 runs,7 hits

CPU with 3HR,2 doubles
Me with 1HR,2 doubles
I was playing Play Now Beginner Mode and using cold zones quite a bit and pitching was extremely effective. I started a franchise with same mode and same default settings and I'm like what happened? First game of spring training had Kershaw going against the White Sox. I'm facing Dewayne Wise rated 40 contact and 47 power and he's 35 years old. I throw him a fastball low inside in his COLD zone and he pulls it for a home run. Next time I see him, Kershaw still pitching, another fastball in his COLD zone and he again pulls it for a home run. Now, what I don't understand is how does a player with 40-contact and 47-power hit homers like that against Kershaw with balls in his COLD zone?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-08-2013, 08:45 AM   #326
Hall Of Fame

Money99's Arena

OVR: 37

Major, major kudo's to SCEA for a fantastic co-op mode.
Last night I played a game with my 9-year-old son and we had a blast.
I absolutely love how I can change sliders and difficulty settings for him compared to me.
And with the new, larger timing window, along with slower pitch speeds and beginners mode, my son was having great success.
He can't wait to play again today.

LOVE IT! Thank-you!
Old 03-08-2013, 09:31 AM   #327
Rookie

RobbieMacc's Arena

Top 50 Players

I know this is nitpicking...but am I the only one who has noticed that in franchise mode the number of players with the "Top 50" tag next to their name does NOT equal anything close to 50??? Maybe the tag was intended as more of a guideline for up and coming players and not meant to be taken so literally...I feel like having this as my ONLY complaint about the game proves just how amazing it is.
Old 03-08-2013, 10:32 AM   #328
Rookie

OVR: 6

Hit variety, even on routine outs is great. In 12, the game got stale to me because it seemed like the CPU either got a hit or struck out. The play in the field was lacking. So far in 13, the games seem more real.

Still playing on all star and seeing different things every time. Played as the Reds and struggled big time with Latos. Started off the game with a 4 pitch walk. Gave up a 2 run bomb to Kemp an then started to settle down. Had an inning where I struck out the side. Then next inning got 3 ground ball outs. Had 2 guys pop up to the catcher. Ended up losing the game , but there's so much variety now. I'm giving up and taking walks. Groundouts. Pop flys. Hard hit doubles. You see a bit of everything now. It just doesn't seem as robotic as games were becoming in previous versions.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen »