Home

Operation Sports MLB 13 The Show Community Impressions Thread

This is a discussion on Operation Sports MLB 13 The Show Community Impressions Thread within the MLB The Show Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 03-07-2013, 09:07 AM   #273
MVP

slthree's Arena

OVR: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by stealyerface
Add me to the list on this one. The daylight games are brilliantly lit, and look awesome, especially with that mid-day glare and overall look to the game.... However, picking up the ball on a grounder, especially down the first or third base line, is impossible. I just wait for the umpire's call, and send the outfielder after it...

That being said, I still love the new look and the polish on the game. Once again, I feel like they made the player/field size ratio a bit closer to real life, and with the broadcast cam, it feels like the players take up the correct amount of space with regards to the outfield.

Anyone notice that the fly balls in the outfield are a lot higher than they used to be? Whereas '12 seemed like any fly ball had the same trajectory, I saw Pujols just miss one, and the ball really hung up there like a high pop fly would. Well done.

I also noticed that on a pop up to my pitcher, my third baseman ran right through the pitcher, like he was not even there. Also, as mentioned before, I saw David Ortiz slide right through Robbie Cano breaking up a double play.

I cannot understand, and maybe someone can shed some light on this for me, again... Why we have to make sure the new statues at Oriole Park are in the exact spot, why the color of the outfield fence in Philly has to be the correct shade, and why the shadows at Candlestick have to follow the azimuth of the sun's path on the West Coast, but we still accept players magically morphing through one another?

When the design team is in the big meeting deciding who is going to work on what for the upcoming game, and the lead designer says, "Okay, who wants to tackle collision detection this year, with a realistic and fresh approach?", I just picture guys looking around the room and whistling....

So please, someone come up with a plausible and acceptable answer for me, and tell me why after six years, and with the game being "So real, it' unreal", we still have a very unrealistic representation of spatial awareness and magical teleportation with no regards to physical matter.

Bueller? Anyone?.... Anyone??

~syf
That was funny. A great morning read.

I have never been someone to care much about clipping and lack of collision detection but at this point in the series I'm starting to care.

The folks that work on this game seem very passionate about it and must be awfully proud of it. My wild guess would be that it can't be fixed or they would have done it?

Either way, I'd love to know what the challenges are and why it can't be implemented.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2
Old 03-07-2013, 09:16 AM   #274
MVP

OVR: 9
Re: Operation Sports MLB 13 The Show Community Impressions Thread

By the way... Pulse Pitching with Human Accuracy and Consistency set to Zero, and the ball marker off... is magnificently brilliant. The new pulse this year, without any ball marker in the middle, resembles a penny spinning on its side (at least that is how I view it), and if you get the marker at its absolutely smallest point, for the pitch and the confidence you are currently using, you get a fairly accurate outcome. When you start to get a little nervous out there, and the pulsing meter starts to rage, and the COO (circle of opportunity) becomes a pulsing orb of doom... you had better pitch smart.

Brilliant job on the new pulse mechanics, and by far, my favorite addition with the subtleness of how it looks this year.

~syf
Old 03-07-2013, 09:29 AM   #275
*ll St*r

Knight165's Arena

OVR: 56

Just a note on the last couple of posts on collision detection.

I doubt you'll ever get in in the sense of players running into each other.

Think collision avoidance. That's what they are aiming for and some collisions that are animations.(like the double play break ups ...which aren't really collisions either)

They (so far) haven't geared their animation system toward collisions and I don't see that changing.

FWIW.

M.K.
Knight165
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-07-2013, 09:49 AM   #276
Rookie

OVR: 3

Huge thank you for fixing pitch repertoires. So many guys with non-fastball primary pitches, and accurate repertoires and velocities. Good show.
Old 03-07-2013, 09:53 AM   #277
Franchise Streamer

Millennium's Arena

OVR: 46
To follow up on the base running:

Think about it as real life. If you are running to a base with the intention of getting there as quickly as possible, you run in a straight line. That is great for beating a throw, but awful for rounding.

If you have the base easily acquired and are thinking about the next base, you round. You lose some distance, but it is more than made up for in retaining speed.

I believe this update to baserunning is intentional this year in The Show. You have to plan to go to the next base. The best proof is to set your baserunning to auto Or watch the CPU running. I haven't witnessed them stumble/slow down yet because they are always rounding at the proper times.

You need to preload your next base, just like you have to preload a throw. Awesome addition, in my opinion.

On a separate note: love the changes to defensive alignments. As someone who always uses Manual for defensive changes, love the new UI for the changes to each individual player.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

My Twitter
My Twitch Channel!
Old 03-07-2013, 09:54 AM   #278
MVP

I understand that, and we have talked about this at length in the past iterations of the game.

I remember when they added the words, "Collision Avoidance" and had some neat animations like when the baserunner who was thrown out at first was making his way back to the dugout, and does the "side-step avoidance" move with the first baseman. That's cool, and was a nice touch.

In a perfect world we would get the collisions from World Series Baseball... oh that's right form 1999, when the guys would run into one another, and have just brutal collisions that even on the Genesis, looked awesome.

In a non-so perfect world, and I am going to come right out and say it:

Players who absolutely pass through one another, in the gen baseball game, is lazy. In my double play example, Cano crossed over the bag and I purposely slid Ortiz to the third base side of second base, as that is where Cano was going to have to end up (in real life) to turn the pair. I was correct, and I slid feet first towards Cano, and Ortiz slid through him. As in, no "avoidance" no detection, no break up animation, just traded molecular space, and blended together and it is quite possible that Cano could be pregnant with Ortiz's kid. Same with the pop up to the pitcher. The pitcher was highlighted to make the play, but we all know pitchers cannot catch, so I switched to Middlebrooks, to let him make the catch, and he ran right through Clay Bucholz... Bucholz never even side stepped or was animated out of the way.

So yes, we have had the discussion, and I am in agreement that they have no plans to make player collsions part of their game, but I think it is only fair to ask why.

They don't have to answer, but we are allowed to inquire as to why this is overlooked.

Just think about how awesome it would be, and what we would be talking about, if when there was a fly ball in the gap, and you took control of the right fielder, and saw the cpu-controlled centerfielder on a dead run towards the landing spot, you had to quickly press a button for the "call off" which would then start the animation of the called-off fielder peeling off and away from the catch region???

An occasional morph is bound to happen, but geez louise, guys running through each other in 2013 is really a bummer.

~syf
Old 03-07-2013, 10:07 AM   #279
Rookie

OVR: 0

The game play was a lot smoother but they have digressed on the Franchise mode. I don't understand how it is 2013 and the Show's franchise mode is still not as in depth and challenging as the Franchise mode in "Triple Play 2002" for PS2...

The mode "Franchise" should involve ALL aspects of the business of baseball. From the amount you invest in your minor league stadiums to which day you want to make "bobble head". I almost feel insulted that the new game has lost some of the features of Franchise that made it a little bit fun. Bamboozled.
Old 03-07-2013, 10:12 AM   #280
MVP

sink4ever's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected]
The game play was a lot smoother but they have digressed on the Franchise mode. I don't understand how it is 2013 and the Show's franchise mode is still not as in depth and challenging as the Franchise mode in "Triple Play 2002" for PS2...

The mode "Franchise" should involve ALL aspects of the business of baseball. From the amount you invest in your minor league stadiums to which day you want to make "bobble head". I almost feel insulted that the new game has lost some of the features of Franchise that made it a little bit fun. Bamboozled.
I believe it was explained that certain things were removed because they just generated money that couldn't really be used for anything. It just allowed you to accumulate money in the bank. This year they're overhauling how budgets work, and I wouldn't be surprised to see more added in the coming years to make it all more integrated and meaningful.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen »