Home

Tiger Woods PGA TOUR 14 Demo Available Now, Post Your Impressions (PS3, 360)

This is a discussion on Tiger Woods PGA TOUR 14 Demo Available Now, Post Your Impressions (PS3, 360) within the Golf forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Golf
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 03-05-2013, 10:09 PM   #81
Hall Of Fame

Flightwhite24's Arena

OVR: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet Sufferer
Don't start making me question my XBOX pre order after suffering through the PS3 load times between holes. Although I do think the PS3 sticks might be a little better for Tiger than the 360.

I'm sacrificing my bonus XP for Tiger 13 by moving to Xbox this year, if they cleaned up the PS3 load times...GRRR, not that I won't be happy for you guys buying it on PS3! Even if it's much improved I don't think it will be able to compete with the load times on 360 with a full install, going to download the PS3 demo now (don't be good, dont be good...) lol, I'm sure by the time this is released there will be little difference, this demo seems pretty early.

Will post full impressions later, don't want to be hasty, got over an hour of play in on the 360. I'll get to the nitty gritty, played so many hours on last years game...
Please chime in with your thoughts after trying it out. Load times were really fast which kinda suprised me especially after the snail loads of 13

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-05-2013, 10:13 PM   #82
Rookie

randogu's Arena

OVR: 5
Re: Tiger Woods PGA TOUR 14 Demo Available Now For 360, Later Today For PS3

Most of what I've seen has already been well covered by others throughout the day (count me in the group that'd like to see some adjustments to the Presentation Cam), but I'll throw a few thoughts out there.

Xbox 360 - no Kinect

Simulation settings are indeed tough and fun. Give it a month though, and guys will be putting up plenty of low numbers. I've already seen my swing improve quite a bit over the course of a dozen total holes. Guys will lock into the swing mechanics fairly quickly, followed by learning the courses.
I don't want the above to be taken as a negative. More as a call for more people to give this difficulty level fair run. I'm not finding it hard for the sake of hard...just a nice move towards realism.

I held off on saying "The graphics took a hit" earlier today, as I had only played the two dark/early morning tee times. Well, after checking out the added midday tourney and playing some TW13 holes right after, I still feel like the graphics took a hit from last year. I'd imagine the up to 24 live shot arcs/mics, improved ball physics, added swings all played their part in this. In the end, I'm alright with that. What I'm seeing is quite a bit of value for the trade off.

One big gripe with the Live Tourneys... 24somes able to chat and play a round is really cool on paper, and thus far almost as cool in practice, BUT some of the point or intent is lost when I've got to MUTE ALL at the first tee just to retain my sanity. In the demo I've been in groups of 10-12 max so far with maybe 3-4 mics live at once and it's nonstop phones ringing, babies crying and guys yelling "AIM!... AIM!...6 Iron!" at their Kinect. The thought of listening to full fields for 18 holes kinda gives me the shimmys.

I really don't know that this can, should, or could be addressed by EA. They gave the users a pretty neat feature and it might just be on us to start working some of the course etiquette we use in the real game, into our Tiger rounds.

I don't think I'm ready to rush right out and drop $60 today, but that's more about me not picking up TW13 until summer last year and not being done with it quite yet. There looks to be a lot to like here and I'll probably jump on board in the near future (meaning the inevitable BestBuy or equivalent DealOfTheDay/sale).
Old 03-05-2013, 10:14 PM   #83
MVP

Jet Sufferer's Arena

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLIGHTWHITE
Please chime in with your thoughts after trying it out. Load times were really fast which kinda suprised me especially after the snail loads of 13

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes, I remember you bailed from the Tradition Sports CC because of the load times, and I saw on my friends list you pretty much bailed on your PS3 for an extended time because of it! And now you've got me downloading the PS3 demo which I wasn't going to do because I didn't want to be tempted!

On the plus side the coin system last year was great on PS3, got all the courses free. See you just went offline going to the 360 demo aren't you? lol
Old 03-05-2013, 10:19 PM   #84
Canadian eh?

SinisterAlex's Arena

OVR: 24

One thing I hate about these Tiger Woods demos is the fact there is no left handed golfers to use. I'm lefty in real life and it just feels awkward and weird to play right handed. Especially when trying to decided what type of shot to hit.

Wish EA would put a lefty in the demos...

On a more positive note, got this in the Tour Pro Connected Tournaments. Almost had -5, but barely missed an eagle hole out on hole 2.

Last edited by SinisterAlex; 03-05-2013 at 10:21 PM.
Old 03-06-2013, 12:22 AM   #85
Banned

OVR: 24

Ok finally got a good play thru with the PS3 and here are my thoughts (sim difficulty only, well mostly sim). Haven't played online yet.

GOOD
-the graphics and ball physics are noticeably improved. I find it weird some people don't see that. The graphics should even be better in the retail version
-the expert difficulty with the joystick is tough but that's fantastic IMO, it does seem to leave little room for error but I'll take that over the too forgiving swing of last year anytime. I really don't think anyone will be shooting -18 anytime soon at this level. I love the draw\fade characteristic of swinging and the option of giving us a control or power golfer. This swing is tough but a good tough.
-sim options like wind arrow and the no beads green gives an added level of difficulty. I'm not a fan of no grids, just don't feel I get enough info from looking at the green by eye but no beads toughens it up a little. Good compromise
-like how the aiming arrow info disappears, cleans up the screen nicely, makes the game feel more realistic.
-the strike meter seems tougher to keep in place because of the free flowing strike point and I like how the ball is well hidden sometimes in the rough making it a little harder to find the center.

BAD
-I am not a fan of this broadcast presentation at all, it makes me feel disorientated and it doesn't feel I'm playing but watching which I guess is the intention of it but isn't really needed for a sports video game. That's why I don't use broadcast view for the NBA2K or the the NHL series. The quick cuts just take me out of the game.
-The putting view in followcam is a big step down, it zooms out way too much and many times my golfer's head blocked the hole as my ball rolled toward it.
-don't like no zoom simply because of lack of info. Even the hole flyby omits yardage markers. I feel like I'm playing blind. The true aim option in TW11 still remains the best to date for the series by far. I know you can memorize but why do you have to. Markers on the flyby was an easy solution to give us info.
-while I praised the improved strike meter, i am not a fan of the fading one, it fades too quickly. if it stayed on for another second then you wouldn't feel so rushed in setting it. And I don't like the way it's a one time thing. I was getting ready to shoot and set the meter and then decided to check the green again for breaks and found out the strike meter can only be touched once. Real golfers can step back, we should be able to as well without being penalized this way. I feel the analog fade and the no zoom view make it more difficult but in a cheap way.

While it looks like there is as much bad as good, the good actually far outweighs the bad. This game was a hoot to play and the replay value should be thru the roof with this added difficulty and I will play with the controller alot longer than I did last year before I played exclusively with the Move. One last point is about the putting. I'm not sure if I like the return to precison putting. I became a big fan of last year's putting model, I felt the extended follow thru was actually more realistic. It would have been nice to have a choice of both. All in all the devs should be applauded for making this game a real challenge, it was a long time coming. Now on to see how the Move performs.

Last edited by Seymour Scagnetti; 03-06-2013 at 12:26 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-06-2013, 01:07 AM   #86
MVP

OVR: 46

Been away from tiger since 10 on the wii.
the new presentation peaked my interest and looking at getting back into it [no move].

LOVE the lighting. Wow.

The presentation is swell too.

What wonders a game can do when the last one you played was 4 years and 1 1/2 systems ago. lol
Old 03-06-2013, 06:04 AM   #87
MVP

OnlookerDelay's Arena

OVR: 10

After playing the XBox 360 version a good bit of the dayI tried the PS3 demo last night, primarily with the Move interface and First Person Camera in mind. I was hoping the First Person Camera would hold its perspective view longer before switching to a Broadcast view. I started out in Tournament difficulty it was a bit too much to manage for my limited experience with the Move. It wasn't the fault of the interface, it was my lack of skill. The shot results were always easy to correlate to the swing errors I made. While I still feel awkward just swinging the Move by itself, when I executed a good swing, it was more satisfying than a good swing with the controller.

As for the First Person Camera, it wasn't the answer to my need for a longer held golfer perspective view. Just like the Broadcast camera, it switches to a TV Broadcast camera at impact and the golfer perspective immersion is lost. I'll say again that while the Broadcast presentation works as advertised from a TV spectator point of view, there's no option for me hold onto my golfer's perspective for those precious 3 to 4 seconds after impact, where I'd like to be seeing the line of flight of the ball taking shape.

First Person Camera/Broadcast also doesn't help the putting game, as the often instant camera switch doesn't give the gamer the golfer's perspective on the roll and break of the ball. If you miss the putt, you either have to view a replay to possibly get a good read on how it broke, or do the best with what you could glean from the TV broadcast camera. However, if you're playing Simulation difficulty with gridless greens, the golfer's eye perspective is critical in conveying this much needed data to the gamer's intuition.

As much as I like a lot of what this game delivers, there's no presentation option I can live with long term.
Old 03-06-2013, 08:40 AM   #88
Pro

OVR: 10

am i missing something or is shot power basically determined of where you put the maker?

« Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Golf »