Home

NBA 2K13: How Signature Skills Have Changed the Game

This is a discussion on NBA 2K13: How Signature Skills Have Changed the Game within the NBA 2K Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 09-11-2012, 03:18 PM   #17
Banned

OVR: 0
Nice rightup, dont know what to think about skill that negates shot releases but I will just play tight on all spotup shooters anyways
Old 09-11-2012, 03:51 PM   #18
Rookie

Re: NBA 2K13: How Signature Skills Have Changed the Game

Does all classic players on classic teams have sig skills as well? I saw that Jordan did just wondering if they all will?

Wondering what Penny Hardaway sig skills will be!! Fave player of all time
Old 09-11-2012, 04:04 PM   #19
MVP

alabamarob's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Profit89
Signature Skills are key to sports gaming. Absolutely vital IMO. Adds to individuality. Konami has been doing it for years with Pro Evolution series and their baseball title MLB Power Pros.

The more individuality the better. Key to sports gaming.
Good write up. Additionally, I agree that the NBA 2k series could benefit from many aspects of pro evolution soccer, and vice versa. All of the makers of sports titles should look at the games of other companies, and other sports to make their games better. 2k13 will be a classic if it plays like I think it will.
Old 09-11-2012, 04:04 PM   #20
Banned

Profit89's Arena

OVR: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by liodeesxalf
It was inevitable that they would eventually add Signature skills to NBA 2k, other sports games (like winning eleven and skill cards) have been doing it for a while, and usually it is really subtle (not some crazy superhuman boost), and it has worked fine, so from what i've seen, it won't hurt the game at all

When you look at sig skills, what they really are is intangibles, as opposed to normal attributes which just reflect skills, in and of itself. Any player, even those with lower ratings, will still have sig skills. Like Reggie Evans will probably have the scrapper skill, and Jared Jeffries will prob have the charge card skill. This gives such a player more value.

To me, this makes the game more like a chess match, forcing you to look at the players of the other team and to make tweaks to your game plan accordingly. It makes strategy more important.
+1. Well put.
Old 09-11-2012, 04:05 PM   #21
MVP

scottyp180's Arena

OVR: 5
This article has me feeling more excited about signature skills. Hopefully this will fix issues of the past such as players playing true to themselves ( Ex: I don't want players hitting ridiculous shots they shouldn't make or players missing shots that they make in their sleep), being able to use appropriate strategies against a teams weaknesses/strengths (Ex: In 2k12 I would play the matchup of the 94 magic vs the current heat yet I was never able to utilize my size advantage), and lastly needing to play more sim to win (Ex: knowing the strengths and weaknesses of teams and players should work to your advantage. Someone who has basketball IQ and knowledge of players and teams should have a big advantage over a casual basketball/Nba fan. I feel tht in the past anyone could learn how to play the game and have a chance against someone who tries to play more sim.)
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-11-2012, 04:07 PM   #22
MVP

youALREADYknow's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyp180
This article has me feeling more excited about signature skills. Hopefully this will fix issues of the past such as players playing true to themselves ( Ex: I don't want players hitting ridiculous shots they shouldn't make or players missing shots that they make in their sleep), being able to use appropriate strategies against a teams weaknesses/strengths (Ex: In 2k12 I would play the matchup of the 94 magic vs the current heat yet I was never able to utilize my size advantage), and lastly needing to play more sim to win (Ex: knowing the strengths and weaknesses of teams and players should work to your advantage. Someone who has basketball IQ and knowledge of players and teams should have a big advantage over a casual basketball/Nba fan. I feel tht in the past anyone could learn how to play the game and have a chance against someone who tries to play more sim.)
Quote:
( Ex: I don't want players hitting ridiculous shots they shouldn't make or players missing shots that they make in their sleep)
Skills have nothing to do with that. If the rosters do not have accurate Attributes, Abilities, Tendencies, etc. then Skills don't correct those problems. They can do a little to mask the problems, but won't fix them.
Old 09-11-2012, 04:40 PM   #23
Rookie

All of this talk about signature skills and all of that, but I have not heard how the CPU AI plays against the user????

How will superstars play against the user? What kind of coaching decisions will be made against the user to exploit the users defenses and or offensive strategy? No talks about this, it just seems like no one wants to know??
Old 09-11-2012, 04:45 PM   #24
MVP

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyp180
Sorry, but you're living in fantasy land if you think 2K is going to suddenly cater to "smart" players. A huge portion of their sales are from casuals too.

And this is one thing that I don't like about 2K, it doesn't matter how good you are at the game or if you try to play lifelike, the other guy could be a complete noob and still win the game. There's nothing that separates experienced players from inexperienced players. In previous 2K games like 2K8 for example, you could keep tricks up your sleeve and if you played realistically and were good at the game, chances are you would win the game. I went something like 200-4 in "sim style" games in 2K8. Newer 2Ks are like 50/50 games, you have a 50/50 chance that you will win or lose. There is no getting good at the game and dominating weaker competition. That's just 2K basketball and that's how the games are going to be until a company decides to change that.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen »