Home

OS Roundtable: Madden NFL 13 Demo Impressions

This is a discussion on OS Roundtable: Madden NFL 13 Demo Impressions within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 08-18-2012, 03:07 PM   #177
Rookie

OVR: 8
I agree with everyone that says the game is best played on All-Pro at Slow speed. I also like to play with Auto-Strafe/Sprint set to Off.

Right now I'm playing with these settings and experimenting with Player Min Speed Threshold set at 30. So far so good.
Old 08-18-2012, 03:31 PM   #178
Five Becomes Four

Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45
Re: OS Roundtable: Madden NFL 13 Demo Impressions

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBrooklynBaller
I think Madden is improving...yes... but not in the area's that it should have been improving on 8 years ago. They are almost on a decade with this.
Everything in the world should be better now than it is. The problem is we live in the present. Judging anything by this standard is patently unfair.

Quote:
Don't get graphics confused with PHYSICS... 2K5 still holds reign on that as well 8 years later.
NFL 2K5 did not have real-time physics. It had a tackling engine based on canned animations. It was a great system. It also had a rudimentary physics system; any 3D game has one to handle collision detection and resolution. However, it was not real-time physics, which is what exists in Madden NFL 13; the previous-generation hardware simply could not handle this in most cases (the only previous-gen games I'm aware of that may have had any real-time physics implementation are Half-Life 2 and Doom 3, which I believe had real-time physics operating on much a smaller scale, such as simple manipulation of boxes and cylinders with gravity guns).
Old 08-18-2012, 11:03 PM   #179
Rookie

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodydog
(1) I don't think that many people would disagree the assertion that Madden has always neglected "the run" (not just "recently," but ALWAYS (regardless of the listed innovations, Madden's running game was never REFINED/POLISHED). Many teams have an offensive running approach as essential as New Orleans' passing approach, but I haven't seen evidence of this kind of focus in a Madden football game (since Neal Anderson with the Chicago Bears back in Madden 92 on the Sega Genesis; best running back in the game - 15s across the board or close to it).

(2) I don't think that anyone would disagree with the assertion that Madden has never REALLY focused on defense.

(3) I don't think that anyone would disagree with the assertion that Madden hasn't focused on line play (offensive/defensive).
Hence the disagreement that much hasn't changed in Madden. Until these are changed Madden will lack depth and innovation.

What really disappointed me was that I was hoping that "real time physics" meant that size on the O and D line would matter and that they would fix that interaction. Unfortunately, the improvements that RTP brings so far pale in comparison to that.
Old 08-18-2012, 11:04 PM   #180
Rookie

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM Hooe
NFL 2K5 did not have real-time physics. It had a tackling engine based on canned animations. It was a great system. It also had a rudimentary physics system; any 3D game has one to handle collision detection and resolution. However, it was not real-time physics, which is what exists in Madden NFL 13; the previous-generation hardware simply could not handle this in most cases (the only previous-gen games I'm aware of that may have had any real-time physics implementation are Half-Life 2 and Doom 3, which I believe had real-time physics operating on much a smaller scale, such as simple manipulation of boxes and cylinders with gravity guns).
I'm sure your right. But at the end of the day its about results. I don't care what you do, or how you implement it, as long as it looks like and plays like NFL football (as as close an approximation as possible).
Old 08-19-2012, 08:30 AM   #181
Rookie

OVR: 0
Good points. Personally for me i think i was expecting to much with all the hype of a new engine being released, sadly this game did not do anything for me that 2012 didn't already do. I was gonna trade in NCAA 13 for this but will definitely keep my college game going after trying this weak demo. I was NOT blown away like i thought i would be, oh well /shrugs.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-19-2012, 09:52 AM   #182
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 40

I'm playing some more before I comment on it. I'm starting to find some things structural wise that I really like. Then I find other things that remind me what I am dealing with I really cannot gauge the running game until I actually play someone. Against the CPU I can get outside and run all game. But I know when you play another person they are gonna have that outside contained. And right now it is hard as hell to run in the middle of the defense. Anyways, I'm going to play some more.

One thing I do not like though is the RT not blocking guys at all at times.
Old 08-19-2012, 09:58 AM   #183
MVP

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBzrule
I'm playing some more before I comment on it. I'm starting to find some things structural wise that I really like. Then I find other things that remind me what I am dealing with I really cannot gauge the running game until I actually play someone. Against the CPU I can get outside and run all game. But I know when you play another person they are gonna have that outside contained. And right now it is hard as hell to run in the middle of the defense. Anyways, I'm going to play some more.

One thing I do not like though is the RT not blocking guys at all at times.
Running up the middle is more realistic than it ever has been, just like in real life its about "patience" and hitting your holes following your blocker or whatnot. It's very rewarding when you break off a big chunk thru the middle as compared to the outside but I understand what you are saying tho.

It's gonna be a real treat watching people try to run outside all day using elusive spd backs because they can't figure out the running game yet, its gonna be a pass fest for a minute lol.

But be patient and watch the highlights man, its well worth it!
Old 08-19-2012, 12:41 PM   #184
Rookie

OVR: 2
Just curious, Did anyone else have problems with the Receivers dropping passes they probably should have caught?

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »