Home

What Does MLB 13 The Show Need to do Next Year to Satisfy Your Baseball Gaming Needs?

This is a discussion on What Does MLB 13 The Show Need to do Next Year to Satisfy Your Baseball Gaming Needs? within the MLB The Show Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 08-16-2012, 08:00 PM   #481
The Future

seanjeezy's Arena

OVR: 34
Re: What Does MLB 13 The Show Need to do Next Year to Satisfy Your Baseball Gaming Ne

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfloirendo
No idea if this has been mentioned but the ability to "read" the type of pitch coming a la MVP 05. It's too difficult to work a count when everything looks like a fastball until the end.
In case it isn't changed next year (I personally didn't like the MVP mechanism but that's just me), check out this post over at the show nation. Here's the first paragraph and possibly the solution to your (and many others) problem:

Quote:
Timing
The key to hitting in MLB The Show 12 is timing. Now of course you probably already suspected this, but the real question is how do you distinguish between a fastball and an offspeed pitch? To recognize the speed of a given pitch you must discern the pitch’s rate of optical expansion as it leaves the pitcher’s hand; pitches that travel at greater speeds increase in their apparent size (expand optically) sooner after leaving the pitcher hand than pitches that travel at lower speeds. Let me reiterate this point from a different perspective: BOTH fastballs and off-speed pitches increase in their apparent size after being released from a pitcher’s hand and have the same net magnitude of increase in size, the difference between the two pitches is a TEMPORAL DIFFERENCE, NOT A VISUAL DIFFERENCE. Fastballs increase in their apparent size in LESS TIME compared to off-speed pitches which take MORE TIME to increase in apparent size. This means that in order to distinguish between fastballs and off-speed pitches you need to be consciously aware of how much time has elapsed after the pitcher’s release, and you use this awareness of elapsed time and compare it to the baseball’s size on the screen. If the ball is large compared to its size at release and little time has elapsed you need to start your swing earlier, but if after the same period of time has elapsed the ball appears to not have increased in size quite that much then you should automatically know to wait a bit longer before beginning your swing.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-17-2012, 01:00 AM   #482
Rookie

jflo_24's Arena

OVR: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanjeezy
In case it isn't changed next year (I personally didn't like the MVP mechanism but that's just me), check out this post over at the show nation. Here's the first paragraph and possibly the solution to your (and many others) problem:
That definitely does help. I mean not necessarily the exact same thing but similar and should also related to your plate vision rating unlike MVP where everyone saw the same thing
Old 08-17-2012, 01:28 PM   #483
Senior Circuit

KingV2k3's Arena

OVR: 21
Re: What Does MLB 13 The Show Need to do Next Year to Satisfy Your Baseball Gaming Ne

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanjeezy
Great find, thanks!

Makes a lot of sense, but even with pitch speed at zero...

I just don't (seem to) have that kind of time!

I will give it a try though...
Old 08-17-2012, 03:59 PM   #484
7 dirty words...

ryan36's Arena

OVR: 36
If I could create myself as a manager and get fired etc, that'd be awesome.
Old 08-18-2012, 11:07 AM   #485
TCM
MVP

TCM's Arena

OVR: 15

It would be cool if we could play as an RTTS catcher without having to call the whole game, just field grounders and throw runners out like the other positions.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-18-2012, 11:49 PM   #486
Rookie

OVR: 2
I think that ratings for players should be determined by sabermatrics such as ISO and OPS+ to give it more accuracy. Sorry if this has already been posted.
Old 08-19-2012, 12:13 AM   #487
The Future

seanjeezy's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by candyman13
I think that ratings for players should be determined by sabermatrics such as ISO and OPS+ to give it more accuracy. Sorry if this has already been posted.
I don't know, traditional stats do a much better job in determining specific skills. Sabermetrics are great in determining how valuable a player is in a wide range of categories. The only viable aspect of the game that can benefit from using metrics is fielding, but even those aren't too reliable. I would like to see power determined by HR/FB% though, there's a strong correlation between that stat and the guys with the most power.

On that note I would like to see tendencies make their way into this game, it would really help to diversify the gameplay and the individual players.
Old 08-19-2012, 12:41 AM   #488
Rookie

starryclub's Arena

OVR: 0

The amount of balls that hit the pitcher going up the middle is ridiculous. I can nail them with 4 or 5 right in the leg a game, and zero injuries. You can smoke a fastball 95mph off the bat, and the pitcher will go on the throw absolutely fine. Not just that, then he'll chase the ball in foul ground and throw you out at first.

I want to be able to control my 3rd basemen fully, I hate the stupid sluggish animation, I actually want to be able to dive, move to at least attempt to get the ball.

Fenway standings look really silly, especially getting deep into the season.

Last edited by starryclub; 08-19-2012 at 12:52 AM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen »