Home

Five Reasons to Hold off on Buying NCAA Football 13

This is a discussion on Five Reasons to Hold off on Buying NCAA Football 13 within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 07-20-2012, 03:16 PM   #25
MVP

FBeaule04's Arena

OVR: 6
Re: Five Reasons to Hold off on Buying NCAA Football 13

With EA Sports games, it comes down to enjoy enough the fact that you can play a game of the sport while beeing able to close your eyes with everything that make you go crazy.

The Five Reasons to Buy it versus The Five Reasons to hold on are a great exemple of this.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-20-2012, 03:21 PM   #26
Rookie

HokieTokie's Arena

OVR: 1
Great article. These are the reasons I did not like NCAA 12 and haven't bought NCAA 13. I love that OS can be relied on to give an honest and factual review of the problems in this game.
Old 07-20-2012, 03:22 PM   #27
Rookie

OVR: 1

I think the biggest problem in getting a better sim game from EA is that most of the people that play the game want to air it out and have fun, not slug it out with realistic momentum, physics, and line play. I would love a great sim college football experience, but the majority of the people buying NCAA would probably rather play Heisman mode with the slow down camera feature so EA is going to do what they want, not what we want.

Just trying to be realistic. It's market forces working against us. There's more arcade NCAA football customers than sim customers unfortunately. Same reason the 2k dumbs down baseball contracts instead of using the actual MLB financial system... most people don't care even though it infuriates those of us looking for realism. EA is out to make money, not the best sim sports game possible, and that's their perogative as a company.
Old 07-20-2012, 03:40 PM   #28
Rookie

OVR: 5
The article is dead on and I'm writing this as someone who loved 2012 and now loves 2013. Everything in the article is accurate and I believe EA is honestly trying to improve the game but progress is always slow and the great games generally take years to move forward. NCAA on PS 3 really sucked at first then made the move to better offenses, locomotion improved the play, the progress has been slow. I think what makes it so frustrating is you see some awesome improvements in the game while other areas are sorely lacking that they stand out more. Total Control Passing, awesome, line play, sucks and sticks out more than ever.
Old 07-20-2012, 03:44 PM   #29
MVP

FBeaule04's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambill10
I think the biggest problem in getting a better sim game from EA is that most of the people that play the game want to air it out and have fun, not slug it out with realistic momentum, physics, and line play. I would love a great sim college football experience, but the majority of the people buying NCAA would probably rather play Heisman mode with the slow down camera feature so EA is going to do what they want, not what we want.

Just trying to be realistic. It's market forces working against us. There's more arcade NCAA football customers than sim customers unfortunately. Same reason the 2k dumbs down baseball contracts instead of using the actual MLB financial system... most people don't care even though it infuriates those of us looking for realism. EA is out to make money, not the best sim sports game possible, and that's their perogative as a company.
Right on. At the end of the year, when the CEO met, I'm pretty sure there's not distinction between people who air it out and have fun and the hardcore gamer that love the game and want a realistic simulation of it.

There's not even a difference between who play the game from day 1 to day 364 because the focal point of the company is who bought the game between day 1 and day 364.

There's no secret that I'm (won't point fingers at anyone) part of the problem because I'm still buying the EA's title even if I'm not happy 2 times out of 3 with the final product.

As for NCAA 13, I'm happy so far. Don't know if it's going to last while playing more and more the game, but so far, it's a fair product.
Old 07-20-2012, 03:54 PM   #30
Banned

Old School SD Fan's Arena

OVR: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by boomhauertjs
Wow! After this no one can ever accuse OS of being shills for EA Sports. Well done. If I do upgrade from NCAA 11 this year, it will probably be to a used copy of 12, not 13.
Agreed. Either Chris has HUGE cajones, or EA stopped advertising with them. Which? )
Old 07-20-2012, 04:01 PM   #31
Rookie

WipeOut464's Arena

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopher_guy
This one puzzles me. I feel like this is feature is pretty fair. You're telling your players to sell out to stop a specific play. 3rd and 29? Hey, they are probably going to pass, tell your defense to drop back because you know a pass is coming.

And if you guess wrong you get destroyed. Especially if you guess run and it's a pass.
I think Run/Pass Commit is generally a good feature, it's just somewhat overpowered.

I think it was best used a couple of years back (last gen maybe?) as a post-snap tool where you had half a second or so to flick up or down on the R-stick to have the defense run or pass commit. This worked great because if the user actually bit on the playaction, his safeties and LBs would bite, too. Conversely, if somebody was running a PA pass on 3rd and long, you could get your guys to completely ignore the run fake and stay deep.

Take it from a UGA fan, IRL nobody bites on the 3rd and 15 run fake, Mike Bobo.

But the left/middle/right run commit is lame. IRL you'd scheme to put extra support (ex: walking a safety down or blitzing) in those areas rather than telling your guys to break off their assignments and over-pursue to the committed side.

Hate to sound like a broken record, but do it like last gen, EA.

NCAA: Georgia
NFL: San Francisco
MLB: ZZZzzzzzz...

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-20-2012, 04:02 PM   #32
Pro

der juicen's Arena

OVR: 7

It seems since Chris made a favorable review in the eyes of the people who didn't like the game, he suddenly "has the cajones". Or isn't a shill. I feel that if he had written a glowing review, he would have been torn apart.

Luckily, I have been having a fine time and recently, have been called an EA apologist for doing so.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »