Home

Staff Roundtable: Madden NFL 12 Demo Impressions

This is a discussion on Staff Roundtable: Madden NFL 12 Demo Impressions within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 08-11-2011, 01:04 PM   #105
MVP

scottyp180's Arena

OVR: 5
I have been hard on Madden since 2k5 came out but after playing this demo I can actually see my self purchasing Madden this year, something I haven't done since Madden 08. The animation and tackle system have really made a difference in the feel of the game, take into account that out of the last 3 madden releases madden 10 is the only one that i spent any time playing and I only played a handful of games.
Caley Roark said what I have been saying for years "it really might be time for EA to blow the whole thing up and start from scratch". Madden has made numerous changes over the years, for better and worse, but it all these changes are just body work on a car thats been using the same old engine for years. The car (game) still works and the updates make it run and look a little better but its about time to start over with something new and fresh. What is holding EA back from doing this is because of what happened to NBA Elite. NBA Live 10 was a step in the right direction but with Elite 11 they try to create a whole new game and it back fired. I doubt EA is willing to risk jeopardizing their number 1 sports franchise of all time by create a new engine (something that could take a couple of years to produce a worthy and improved product).
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-11-2011, 01:30 PM   #106
Pro

MMurda's Arena

OVR: 5
Re: Staff Roundtable: Madden NFL 12 Demo Impressions

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyp180
Caley Roark said what I have been saying for years "it really might be time for EA to blow the whole thing up and start from scratch". Madden has made numerous changes over the years, for better and worse, but it all these changes are just body work on a car thats been using the same old engine for years. The car (game) still works and the updates make it run and look a little better but its about time to start over with something new and fresh. What is holding EA back from doing this is because of what happened to NBA Elite. NBA Live 10 was a step in the right direction but with Elite 11 they try to create a whole new game and it back fired. I doubt EA is willing to risk jeopardizing their number 1 sports franchise of all time by create a new engine (something that could take a couple of years to produce a worthy and improved product).
the thing is tho, nba elite had competition and HAD to come correct, and they failed against nba 2k11. Madden doesnt have that same risk, because there is no competition. they cant not be #1...thanks to the situtation theyre blessed with (license). but theyll never do it until theyre forced to do it, which is when new systems come out. but even then, they may still be so lazy and just port over with prettier graphics, while the fifas and nhls of the future continue to blow past this stagnant game.

but lets be clear, theres nothing in their way of doing this, if they really wanted to. i know they have to put out a yearly title. now that they have new developers to help develop ahead of time on top of the regular devs, why cant they do this for m13? the answer is they dont want to have that kind of commitment to excellence, and its really sad considering this was their most popular title for many yrs. IMO, even if it aint the greatest if they did blow up and start over, would it really be any diff of an outcome to them putting out bug/glitch filled games with horrible gameplay on this outdated engine? honestly i think more ppl would applaud the effort and give them more slack for trying to advance the tech and the game.
----------------------
Madden Since '92
Old 08-11-2011, 01:48 PM   #107
MVP

OVR: 16
Did someone in this thread actually explain what makes this game "arcadey" in detail (I stopped reading when the 2K back and forth started) and if not can somebody do so? I'm curious why I'm seeing so many people up in arms over this game being supposedly arcade when I just don't see it
Old 08-11-2011, 01:57 PM   #108
Rookie

209vaughn's Arena

OVR: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by blklightning
imo, ncaa is absolutely terrible. they have to resort to the biggest cheat tactics they can think of to give you a challenge. go try nba 2k11 to see how giving the user a challenge is supposed to be done.
I absolutely agree with this comment. NBA 2k11 actually plays smart basketball, and 90% of the time you lose, you dont feel like it's b/c the developers "coded in" some "it's time for you to lose code". NBA 2k11 and FIFA 11, player ratings actually mean something. In Madden and NCAA, ratings mean nothing. The out come of the game is based upon hidden randomized code structure forcing you to play great or bad.

I'm so over EA football games. (i'm a die hard ncaa fan too, i've played thousands of games the past decade of ncaa, i've maybe played 10 games so far of ncaa 12) NBA 2k12, FIFA 12 and Football Manager 11 for me this fall.
Old 08-11-2011, 02:09 PM   #109
Rookie

OVR: 0
Idk why all the hate over a demo build for madden 12. I havent bought madden game since they had the license and miss 2k football. But honestly the demo is great to me imo. I did play madden 10 and madden 11 and this is by far a great step forward imo. Still has its madden issues but I felt they were turned down quite a bit. Plus with sliders and patches I feel this game will be great. I have been a madden ***** for years and still believe 2k would have a much better product. But I can honestly say im really excited and this will be a day one buy for me! Honestly i feel some ppl are just hating to be hating on madden bc they hated it for so many years. Im sorry i believe that actually madden will be better than ncaa 12. I had to return that game after a month just way to glitchy and could pass for anything in ncaa 12. All I can say is i think madden is finally starting to put out a good game! This is coming from an avid 2k fan. Yes madden def still has it probs but its def looks to be a great game I am really enjoying the demo and will be playing til release day.
Old 08-11-2011, 02:16 PM   #110
MVP

RGiles36's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucky60
It's not getting the 120-130 plays, it's getting realistic stats with that number of plays that I and football-freaks have struggled with. And on the console, I don't have football-freaks to help me out.
Yes, I get realistic stats. If you venture over to the sliders forums, I'm willing to be that the majority of those people get realistic stats as well. After all, that's the reason people go testing sliders in the first place.

The priority is to first get the amount of plays right -- which again is not all that difficult. Just depends on your clock settings. After that, it just comes down to your own skills and you have to adjust your sliders accordingly. The process is no different than any other sports game.

I think you're making it more complicated than what it has to be. My stats are generally on point and make sense, depending on the course of the game: for example sometimes I can run the ball effectively, sometimes I can't. Sometimes I create turnovers, sometimes I will not. Stats are not black and white. Gotta leave room for anomalies.
Old 08-11-2011, 02:16 PM   #111
Banned

atomant94's Arena

OVR: 6

The Madden demo is ok, But We should of gotten this game 3 years ago.

The Madden Franchise is 3 years off
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-11-2011, 02:30 PM   #112
Rookie

209vaughn's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by seasprite
I don't see super DBs in this. Certainly not to the level of NCAA
IMO one of the worst parts of EA football is that you dont really feel like you're totally in control of your QB. Touch passes and leading WR's is virtually impossible, b/c the WR's dont adjust to the ball in the air. WR's will never run "natural routes" like real life WRs. WR's in real life read the DB's and find soft spots in zones. In EA football, WR's are locked into a route and basically ignore what the coverage is doing. This is why there are always routes in EA football games that are impossible to use... Double move routes for example. WR's need to be a lot smarter IMO.

We also need to have a real sense of control over the QB... Maybe a slider (not the kind in the options menu, the kind that when you hit the button it goes off, then you let go to stop it) like in FIFA that will help with power and accuracy. I'm a veteran EA footballer, and I still dont feel in control of where i'm putting the ball.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »