Home

First NHL 12 Video Posted, New Release Date Set [UPDATE: Extra Info Added]

This is a discussion on First NHL 12 Video Posted, New Release Date Set [UPDATE: Extra Info Added] within the EA Sports NHL Legacy forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 05-25-2011, 10:18 PM   #89
R.I.P 2KHockey 2000-2011

savoie2006's Arena

OVR: 29
Re: First NHL 12 Video Posted, New Release Date Set [UPDATE: Extra Info Added]

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillHammer
TBH I think people are being overly negative. I wouldn't expect the first trailer to be mostly fixes for existing features.
I don't think we do either, it's just a vent session and there is plenty reason to be negative with this series.
Old 05-25-2011, 10:40 PM   #90
Rookie

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by savoie2006
I don't think we do either, it's just a vent session and there is plenty reason to be negative with this series.
considering the problems the other EA games have faced the last couple of years, and this one, along with fifa, being considered the two best sports games for consoles, i dont think so.
Old 05-25-2011, 10:46 PM   #91
Pro

OVR: 4

The problem is, IMPROVED PLAYER AI, does not sell the games to the masses, that are mainly NOT hockey enthusiasts so you will never see that as a first, second, or third enhancement. EA knows, as well as I do, that "hardcore" hockey gamers will buy this game because they love hockey, especially since there are no other options this year , so they don't need to market the AI, but by adding goalie fights, which by the way even non hockey people enjoy seeing highlights of, they are appealing to a broader base.

Believe it or not, but they are a company trying to make money, not cater to a select few.
Yes it sucks, but just because it is not the first thing they talk about doesn't mean it's not in the final product.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-25-2011, 11:08 PM   #92
Proctor, MN. Go Rails!

Vikes1's Arena

OVR: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by speels
Yes it sucks, but just because it is not the first thing they talk about doesn't mean it's not in the final product.
Voice of reason.

The "details" that can make a huge difference in how a game plays, most likely will be one of...if not the last thing, put out to the public. After all the more obvious things are put out there.
Old 05-25-2011, 11:14 PM   #93
R.I.P 2KHockey 2000-2011

savoie2006's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by speels
The problem is, IMPROVED PLAYER AI, does not sell the games to the masses, that are mainly NOT hockey enthusiasts so you will never see that as a first, second, or third enhancement. EA knows, as well as I do, that "hardcore" hockey gamers will buy this game because they love hockey, especially since there are no other options this year , so they don't need to market the AI, but by adding goalie fights, which by the way even non hockey people enjoy seeing highlights of, they are appealing to a broader base.

Believe it or not, but they are a company trying to make money, not cater to a select few.
How many "casual" hockey fans do you know? I know they are in it for making money and they have to cater to "casuals" as well, but they have to try to cater to the diehards as well. While they have done some of that with all the "little" things in the game, they could do more gameplay wise. There is something called sliders and difficulty settings that can be tuned accordingly. So if they do decide to make the game very realistic, it can easily be tuned to be more "casual" friendly. They can do this for both online and offline. The hardcore guys should not have to be in a league full of casuals that buy up boosts and guys that have no idea how the game of hockey is played. It's possible a game can be both sim and arcade, but EA has to finish fixing the issues that keep this game from being a hockey simulation.
Old 05-25-2011, 11:16 PM   #94
R.I.P 2KHockey 2000-2011

savoie2006's Arena

Quote:
by adding goalie fights, which by the way even non hockey people enjoy seeing highlights of, they are appealing to a broader base.
Who boxing fans?
Old 05-26-2011, 06:43 AM   #95
iax
Rookie

OVR: 1
One word. Underwhelming. Still the same robotic player movement (upper body and lower body completely different entities). Might as rename the series NHL HITZ. Or wait, somebody already did that... 8 years ago. That's how underwhelming this is...
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-26-2011, 08:07 AM   #96
Hall Of Fame

Money99's Arena

OVR: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by savoie2006
Exactly. That video isn't for OS. It's for casual fans or people on the fence.
And I realize how negative I was in my post and it was mostly just to vent.

But like Fiddy, savoie and Vikes pointed out, I think most of the people who buy this game are hockey fans.
But being a hockey fan, and a cheesy gamer are two different things. I look at my 8-year-old son and he'll do the same move over and over if it means he can win. He doesn't even care if it's boring or repetitive, as long as he wins. It's just sad that most adults are still like then when gaming. So that's why EA wants cheese in their games. They want one or two moves to work over and over, and to allow every player on the ice to be able to do what Datsyuk, Stamkos or Ovechkin do on a nightly basis.

But I can't help to look at the success of NBA2K11 and believe that most sports gamers want realism. I know people who don't know a thing about basketball that love that game.

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy »