Home

Chatting With Josh Looman About Madden's Franchise Mode

This is a discussion on Chatting With Josh Looman About Madden's Franchise Mode within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 05-18-2011, 11:07 AM   #57
Pro

scottyo60's Arena

OVR: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaySmooov
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHqhj...eature=related

Another vid of an NBA 2k11 offseason. Notice at the 2:50 mark, the guy has Steph Curry, Paul George, and Kirk Hinrich with the KINGS. Also notice how every player progresses, regardless of is their stats warranted it.

Pause at 4:07. He also has Joakim Noah :

He then trades him and some bum PF for Josh Smith and a couple 2nd round picks.

He then trades back for DeMarcus Cousins, who he already traded away.

I mean it's ridiculously easy in that game, to build a superteam with ANY team.

I mean, how anyone sees this as realistic, baffles me. But Im done, just wanted to dispel that notion right away.
The point I was making was not about the franchise mode and all the crazy trades and stuff. I do question if force trade was on for some of those moves? My point was I'd like to see where you can promise roles and that means something to their interests and what kind of contract the player wants. Have a system where like in NBA Live you have to meet what they want with the pitches to be able to open negotiations up.

I hated 2K where every player it seemed wanted 10% back contract. They keep saying "immersion" I don't see how my making a bid increase button and a player essentially taking the most money increases any immersion.
Old 05-18-2011, 11:30 AM   #58
Pro

OVR: 11
All this sounds good...but for players like me, that like to keep our franchise as close to accurate to current rosters, will there be a way to do this. In past Madden, it was quite simple...this seems to throw a cog into it. Will it be as easy to maintain current rosters (real life) and emulate that in madden? I know its not everyone that does it, but there has to be some....
Old 05-18-2011, 12:06 PM   #59
Banned

OVR: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyo60
The point I was making was not about the franchise mode and all the crazy trades and stuff. I do question if force trade was on for some of those moves? My point was I'd like to see where you can promise roles and that means something to their interests and what kind of contract the player wants. Have a system where like in NBA Live you have to meet what they want with the pitches to be able to open negotiations up.

I hated 2K where every player it seemed wanted 10% back contract. They keep saying "immersion" I don't see how my making a bid increase button and a player essentially taking the most money increases any immersion.
That's just for the purpose of fun. I never played HC09, but most who played that say it was fun. And in the real NFL, teams essentially are bidding for a player's services. No, not over the course of 60 seconds, but I honestly don't think anyone liked waiting 30 days before FA was over. I like to get in, target my guys, and get out. Usually, in the old system of FA, I'd sign my guys and STILL have anywhere between 15-22 days left. And the simulation of the rest of those days we're a pain. Not a big deal, but one of those things that just irritates you. But even then, they're not banking the term "immersion" on Ebay-style FA bidding. Their main thing is the DPP.
Old 05-18-2011, 01:09 PM   #60
Pro

SGMRock's Arena

OVR: 8
Personally this is year 1 of them revamping things after years of neglect. So I am happy with the steps they have taken, they only get a year to do this game and really can't expect them to fix Franchise in one season. So far I like what they have done and in my mind would expect more tweaks next year as well. At least they are moving in the right direction now instead of just giving us the same thing 5 years in a row.
Old 05-18-2011, 01:53 PM   #61
Banned

Thinking Out Loud's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Chatting With Josh Looman About Madden's Franchise Mode (Part 1)

Quote:
That's just for the purpose of fun. I never played HC09, but most who played that say it was fun. And in the real NFL, teams essentially are bidding for a player's services. No, not over the course of 60 seconds, but I honestly don't think anyone liked waiting 30 days before FA was over. I like to get in, target my guys, and get out. Usually, in the old system of FA, I'd sign my guys and STILL have anywhere between 15-22 days left. And the simulation of the rest of those days we're a pain. Not a big deal, but one of those things that just irritates you. But even then, they're not banking the term "immersion" on Ebay-style FA bidding. Their main thing is the DPP.
Whenever I see fun touted as if it and realism can not coexist, it frustrates me. I think the Ebay bidding system is a great idea but incomplete without player wants, team promises and a Halo style multi-player split screen added. (split screen for up to 4 users playing on the same console)

Nothing major, just a simple check box system where players have their wants listed and teams have checks in the box of the wants listed, they are ABLE to promise. Obviously, Green Bay couldn't promise warm weather to a player, 2011-12 Vikings couldn't promise a RB to be a starter or a 2-14 team couldn't promise a playoff appearance. So if any of those wants were listed for a player, those teams wouldn't have those wants checked/promised .

The team that has most wants that a player has listed, checked, wins the player. For example, if a player just listed/wanted money then that's all that matters. If a player listed/wants money, playoff contender and elite QB, teams that have all these checked/promised, are the contenders for that player. In case of a checks/promises made stalemate, the most money is the tie breaker.

For some reason concerning Madden great ideas just seem to get consistently lost in translation.

Last edited by Thinking Out Loud; 05-18-2011 at 02:30 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-18-2011, 03:04 PM   #62
(PS3) Madden 13

mirrored32's Arena

OVR: 18
Smile Re: Chatting With Josh Looman About Madden's Franchise Mode (Part 1)

Quote:
Well I would think teams would go at it, as usual. Just like people could look at one page on the internet, and all be looking at different parts, all the players could be bidding on different players, against the human players or CPU who are interested, all at the same time. It would eliminate that 30 day wait, and make you have to work harder, because you'd have to go back and forth, keeping tabs on you're players. Its gonna be hectic, that's for sure, if you have guys who are really involved in the franchise.

Offline could be troubling, anf I have a feeling that's what you're getting at. But Offline franchise is kinda sorta dead. I couldnt imagine more than 4 users in an offline 'chise, which would allow all users to be present and bid on guys.
by the poll in Operation Sports I don't know that offline Franchise is dead. If it is, Then I would no longer be playing Madden.
Old 05-18-2011, 03:10 PM   #63
(PS3) Madden 13

mirrored32's Arena

OVR: 18
Icon7 Re: Chatting With Josh Looman About Madden's Franchise Mode (Part 1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammidysam
When I got NFL Head Coach 09 back in the day and loved it, I knew there was only one thing missing for it to be a really amazing game. That was gameplay, and the ability to play your team's games. Now, Madden 12 will show me what I always wanted, so it deserves a pre-order in my opinion. It will also be great for simulating, as I have always loved simulating in my sports games.

But another thing I love is the player models. The draftees look like real people (they may actually be real people)and I give props to whoever made those models, as they are high class. Madden 12 is looking amazing.
i agree! I enjoy watching the other games through the season in a simulation. I hope they have the broadcast cam again this year for cpu vs cpu games. That was awesome!
Old 05-18-2011, 03:21 PM   #64
Pro

Smoke316's Arena

OVR: 14
Re: Chatting With Josh Looman About Madden's Franchise Mode (Part 1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinking Out Loud
Whenever I see fun touted as if it and realism can not coexist, it frustrates me. I think the Ebay bidding system is a great idea but incomplete without player wants, team promises and a Halo style multi-player split screen added. (split screen for up to 4 users playing on the same console)

Nothing major, just a simple check box system where players have their wants listed and teams have checks in the box of the wants listed, they are ABLE to promise. Obviously, Green Bay couldn't promise warm weather to a player, 2011-12 Vikings couldn't promise a RB to be a starter or a 2-14 team couldn't promise a playoff appearance. So if any of those wants were listed for a player, those teams wouldn't have those wants checked/promised .

The team that has most wants that a player has listed, checked, wins the player. For example, if a player just listed/wanted money then that's all that matters. If a player listed/wants money, playoff contender and elite QB, teams that have all these checked/promised, are the contenders for that player. In case of a checks/promises made stalemate, the most money is the tie breaker.

For some reason concerning Madden great ideas just seem to get consistently lost in translation.

I see where your coming. Im interested to see how this bidding system works myself. Next year they can expand on it buy giving us some of those factors that are in NCAA . Those along with the ebay style bidding would make for a real pressure packed negoitation.

Theres a WHOLE lot they added this year I cant be too uspet with the factors not really being a factor right now. Come to think of it I wonder if team morale made it in with the other roles. In last gen morale would flucuate depending on the roles one had or if you put a player on the trading block, etc.

The one thing i would like to see and hopefully it get in this yr is the backround menu screens for Franchise. Someon mentioned in another thread that they should have idfferent backgrounds for different parts of the franhise your in. For instance if dealing with roster stuff a shot of the Gms office should be in the background or the coaches office with a round table for cut days. These subtle touches can really help bring franchise to life this year without the newspapers and such. Also I read there was an Owner Mode involved this year has anyone else got confirm on that?

Modest in Speech..Superior in Action

Hit me on Twitter - SeanSemps

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »