Home

OS Staff Roundtable - MLB '11: The Show Demo Impressions

This is a discussion on OS Staff Roundtable - MLB '11: The Show Demo Impressions within the MLB The Show Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 02-26-2011, 06:24 AM   #65
Legend

Tommyklaid's Arena

OVR: 20
Re: OS Staff Roundtable - MLB '11: The Show Demo Impressions

Quote:
Originally Posted by winonastate03
I was let down with the demo. Mainly with the fact that I have been seeing the same fielding animations for several years now. Outfield throws look weak and awkward at times. Way too many "girly" throws. Infielding animations are very outdated as well. I hit a chopper to short and the cpu charged it but stopped, planted and took a couple of hops before throwing. Clearly safe, and clearly not the right animation.

Analog controls do nothing for this game. I am not sure why the need to waste development time on this.

Improved scoreboards: ? didn't notice ANYTHING different.

Player Models: Look better, but do nothing as far as improving animations.

So what really changed? And was the whole year of development time used wisely, or is this game on a tight budget?

Do we need new members attending the community day? I guarantee the guys that attend every year will not talk bad about the game, thus not helping improve it.

And why is one guy's opinion attacked if it is not the acceptable opinion around here? JJT has some valid points with keeping the game fresh and should not be ridiculed for that.

I will play the demo more, but for now I am very underwelmed.

You obviously haven't the faintest idea what you're talking bout in this forum...

Highly uncalled for - but what do you know anyway.
  • The Elder Scrolls V: SKYRIM - XBOX SERIES X
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-26-2011, 07:43 AM   #66
Rookie

gigadkc's Arena

OVR: 3
The Show needs to look at the other baseball games, PYS and 2K especially (are there any others anyway?), and bring the good things from those games to The Show. Where's cursor batting (and more realistic batting overall) like there is in PYS? Where's that great commentary, sound and presentation we have in 2K's games? They should focus on those areas where other games have shown they are better and try to bring those features to The Show. Come on SCEA, we (or I) finally want cursor batting. That single feature puts PYS above The Show imo and it would be so awesome if The Show would have that, too.
Old 02-26-2011, 08:08 AM   #67
Banned

OVR: 21

Please don't ever put in cursor hitting. Horrible concept. I am not sinking submarines anymore.

Just concentrate on franchise mode improvements, atmosphere and commentary, and even more animations next year to keep the game looking fresh.

The gameplay is tight. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
Old 02-26-2011, 08:41 AM   #68
Banned

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by capa
Please don't ever put in cursor hitting. Horrible concept. I am not sinking submarines anymore.

Just concentrate on franchise mode improvements, atmosphere and commentary, and even more animations next year to keep the game looking fresh.

Agreed, i hate cursor hitting as well. Every option the show gives is better than that crap imo.
Old 02-26-2011, 09:09 AM   #69
Donny Baseball!

Skyboxer's Arena

OVR: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by capa

I hate these kind of posts. Just because you dont like it then noone should get it.....
Options are always good and if they can continue to give us gamers options on how to play then fine. Maybe some people dont play fanchise and would rather SCEA concentrate on RTTS only and forget improving franchise.....

Skyboxer OS TWITCH
STEAM
PSN: Skyboxeros
SWITCH 8211-0709-4612
XBOX Skyboxer OS
Old 02-26-2011, 09:30 AM   #70
Rookie

OVR: 6
When people talk about the presentation, I agree. When people talk about foul ball animations, it's specifically the camera cut scene. It's been the same for 3+ years now? maybe even more.

When I read about team-specific cameras, and a 'editable' custom cams, I thought that was a great idea, but it only refers to the batter/pitcher cams. That is a tonnne of work to do so kudos to the team for that!

But I thought it was going to be the the fielding cam as well.. i know that's a lot of work so maybe next year, eh?
But THAT would be awesome and fresh! Broadcast cams specific to each team as they are on TV!

That being said, I like the Demo, and the MLB series. But camera angles have been relatively the same since maybe MLB '06
Old 02-26-2011, 09:31 AM   #71
MVP

sink4ever's Arena

OVR: 9

Can we all just agree that different people want different things? And just because you didn't see much change in your narrow range of desires doesn't mean that nothing changed. Not to mention that when you have a game that replicates the sport so well already, drastic changes to the core gameplay would almost certainly be detrimental. I would like to see a number of additions to franchise (more emphasis on scouting/draft/signing, coaches at each level, individual training, etc.). However, just because that didn't happen this year doesn't mean I don't realize that the game has improved and offers other great things like improved lighting, new models, better defense, better ball physics, new analog controls, and even some better franchise logic. For Pete's sake, it seems like people throw a hissy fit every time their "single most important thing" isn't addressed exactly how they want it to be. Ok, done ranting.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-26-2011, 09:37 AM   #72
All Star

DickDalewood's Arena

OVR: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by winonastate03

Analog controls do nothing for this game. I am not sure why the need to waste development time on this.

Improved scoreboards: ? didn't notice ANYTHING different.

Player Models: Look better, but do nothing as far as improving animations.

So what really changed? And was the whole year of development time used wisely, or is this game on a tight budget?

Do we need new members attending the community day? I guarantee the guys that attend every year will not talk bad about the game, thus not helping improve it.
So because YOU can't get the hang of analog controls, don't care about better lighting, player models and scroeboards, weather being added, and a completely revamped RTTS, they were on a tight budget and wasted their time???

Do you know why all those things are in the game this year? I'll tell you why; because last year, this board was filled with multiple threads about "where are the analog controls??? Button pressing is outdated!!" and "WTF, RTTS is exactly the same as it was last year!" and "I can't handle these player models and their t-Rex arms anymore! CMON SCEA!!!"

So, because they are the only dev team that TRULY takes the time to get community opinions and inprovements from THIS website, those are the areas where they spent the most of their time. And guess what? A lot of that pressure and feed back came from our Community Day guys.

So, my suggestion to you, a member who is new THIS MONTH; learn exactly how things work and why, before spouting off nonsensical guarantees that you know nothing about.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen »