Home

MLB 11 The Show Hands-On Impressions, CES 2011 (dmbfan1970)

This is a discussion on MLB 11 The Show Hands-On Impressions, CES 2011 (dmbfan1970) within the MLB The Show Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 01-09-2011, 02:48 PM   #161
Banned

OVR: 8
Re: MLB 11 The Show Hands-On Impressions, CES 2011 (dmbfan1970)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripwalk
It was said in the past that when you go into the red zone it will automatically be an error, is that true? Or, is it possible the throw will simply be in the dirt but a good first basemen will be able to pick it up? Hopefully it's not automatically an error, as I'm sure everyone would just eat the throw in that case as soon as they see they've gone into the red (or try to throw again as you've just said). To my mind that's not entirely realistic, as in real baseball an infielder doesn't start to throw a ball, realize as they are about to release it's going to be an error and then stop throwing. You only realize it's going to be an error after the ball has left your hand...

Also, are you able to elaborate on what a good rated fielder bringing a red throw back into the yellow zone means exactly, or how that mechanic will work?
I agree with this 100%, I don't want to know if my fielder is making an error before he even lets go of the ball. I think that would take a lot of excitement out of the game.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-09-2011, 03:41 PM   #162
Banned

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blzer
Yes but capa, I would be pretty disappointed if each game with rain was going to be delayed. I don't want to see that every time. In fact, the problem with "rare things" or just unique things in general is there always seems to be just one type of cut scene for it. Just like replaying home runs or kicking a beach ball off the field, there will only be one kind of way to see that animation unless they switch it up a lot.

But my main point was going to be that I always disliked weather effects in baseball video games because they weren't dynamic. In The Show, they will be. That would be nice for a game to start off with sun and a patch of heavy clouds where eventually you start to get a drizzle and maybe even heavy enough rain to delay the game, but see now this is more difficult to program in. Plus, I'd rather go with postponements included, not just delays. Either go all out with it or leave it out IMO.
I didn't mean that each game with rain would be delayed. Only when that logic kicks in based on rain intensity.

C
Old 01-09-2011, 03:43 PM   #163
Resident film pundit

Blzer's Arena

OVR: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by capa
I didn't mean that each game with rain would be delayed. Only when that logic kicks in based on rain intensity.

C
I understand, although again this must be pretty difficult to calculate. Sometimes it's not about how hard it rains, but rather how much it does. More games get called on field degradation due to rain, not the rain itself (unless it's far too intense). Adding all of that up must be a tough algorithm, especially since it could be dynamic.
Samsung PN60F8500 PDP / Anthem MRX 720 / Klipsch RC-62 II / Klipsch RF-82 II (x2) / Insignia NS-B2111 (x2) / SVS PC13-Ultra / SVS SB-2000 / Sony MDR-7506 Professional / Audio-Technica ATH-R70x / Sony PS3 & PS4 / DirecTV HR44-500 / DarbeeVision DVP-5000 / Panamax M5400-PM / Elgato HD60
Old 01-09-2011, 04:11 PM   #164
Resident film pundit

Blzer's Arena

Every game is programmed differently, and with more complexity involved in this game's weather dynamics I'm sure it's not that simple. As Russell said, if it would be easy to implement it would probably be in the game.
Samsung PN60F8500 PDP / Anthem MRX 720 / Klipsch RC-62 II / Klipsch RF-82 II (x2) / Insignia NS-B2111 (x2) / SVS PC13-Ultra / SVS SB-2000 / Sony MDR-7506 Professional / Audio-Technica ATH-R70x / Sony PS3 & PS4 / DirecTV HR44-500 / DarbeeVision DVP-5000 / Panamax M5400-PM / Elgato HD60
Old 01-09-2011, 04:30 PM   #165
Banned

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blzer
I understand, although again this must be pretty difficult to calculate. Sometimes it's not about how hard it rains, but rather how much it does. More games get called on field degradation due to rain, not the rain itself (unless it's far too intense). Adding all of that up must be a tough algorithm, especially since it could be dynamic.
I don't think they need a complex algorithm at all. I think folks would be happy if it happened sometimes during rainy games and not others. No one wants it to happen 100% of the time in rain games, and no one wants it never to happen.

It can be simplified. No algorithm need be developed to keep track of some "virtual rain intensity" accumulation bucket. It can simply kick in randomly in the game. I've seen games where a drizzle with no outs in the inning became delayed 10 minutes later. I've also seen it rain for 3 or 4 inning or more and no delay at all. It just needs to be implemented randomly. I think that's all people care about.

C
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-09-2011, 05:41 PM   #166
Animal Liberation

EnigmaNemesis's Arena

SCEA are practically perfectionists, they want to lay the groundwork for a solid foundation with a weather system that can match the other qualities they put in the game. The lighting is exceptional and professionally done on an almost a PIXAR level of detail (as far as the layers and everything being lit), stadium details, etc.

So once this groundwork is laid, which they are doing, they will move on to delays and postponements with probably more in the line of redesigning the scheduling and franchise to accommodate this.

It is a great start, and wait till you see the level of thought and detail they put in it... I am not going to spoil anything just yet, but it is WOW! And I never seen it this detailed in ANY video game... PERIOD!

Last edited by EnigmaNemesis; 01-09-2011 at 06:04 PM.
Old 01-09-2011, 05:44 PM   #167
MVP

Shaffer26's Arena

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnigmaNemesis
It is a great start, and wait till you see the level of thought and detail they put in it... I am not going to spoil anything just yet, but it is WOW! And I never seen it this detailed in ANY video game... PERIOD!
The weather?
Old 01-09-2011, 05:51 PM   #168
Animal Liberation

EnigmaNemesis's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaffer26
The weather?
The rain, yes. They just did not want to "add rain" they wanted to add "realistic acting rain".

I will leave it at that.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen »