Home

Four Keys to Success for MLB '11: The Show

This is a discussion on Four Keys to Success for MLB '11: The Show within the MLB The Show Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 01-06-2011, 02:30 PM   #321
Banned

OVR: 8
Re: I would like SCEA to add a "catch' button

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboy
I like this idea. I view it as being like a press of the R1 or L1 button to mimmick the closing/squeezing of the glove. Thats as far as my thought process has gone thus far, but its a start.
I've always wanted something along the lines of this too. I was thinking more along the lines of maybe holding down L1 to put the glove on the ground, and then when you release it, the glove will come up to the throwing hand. Some people would have quicker transfers just like real life.

You'd be holding down L1 to put the glove on the ground, and when the ball hits the glove you release it to bring the glove to your throwing hand. If you release L1 too early, your glove will come up resulting with a ball going under the glove/in between the legs. I think it would add a new component to the game because having played infield before, a quick transfer in the infield just isn't replicated in baseball games yet. It would also make playing a hot corner a lot more difficult because you have to get that glove down a lot quicker than the middle infielders. Just an idea, I'd just like to see fielding get a little more attention.

Last edited by aces01; 01-06-2011 at 03:20 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-06-2011, 02:58 PM   #322
Banned

New Fielding Ideas

Just want to hear some of your ideas on what could be used for some new fielding controls. For me at least, I think it's not enough to just run to the ball and press a button to throw it. Defense is extremely important in baseball, and I think it gets overlooked in video games.

My idea was to have L1 control your fielder's glove going down. You would see the groundball hit, and as the ball approaches, you would hold down L1 to put your glove on the ground. When you release L1, your fielder's glove would go up to transfer to the throwing hand.

Once you release L1, your throw would just be timed with the transfer. If you press the throw button before the glove it up to the throwing hand, you would just bobble the ball. It would be very realistic because when you're in a rush, it would be hard to time it correctly just like it is in real life. You would really have to make sure you catch the ball before you throw it.

I think it would make fielding a little more challenging which would be a good thing. On a routine ground ball, you would just hold down L1 early because there's no rush. If you have to charge the ball, it would be fun trying to time time putting the glove down while you're on the run with the quick transfer to the throw.

Just to sum it up:

-Hold L1 to lower glove to field

-Release L1 (once ball hits glove) to have glove transfer ball to throwing hand

-Throwing button would have to be timed with releasing L1

I'm not sure how I would implement it for high pops, but it was just an idea i was thinking of. Let me know how you feel about it, and I would like to hear some of your ideas as well.

**Sorry for the double-post, my thread got moved here, thought it would deserve it's own thread so it doesn't clog this one

Last edited by aces01; 01-06-2011 at 03:14 PM.
Old 01-06-2011, 03:23 PM   #323
RIP Ty My Buddy

nemesis04's Arena

OVR: 52
Re: Four Keys to Success for MLB '11: The Show

^What do you do when you have to dive and catch the ball?
Old 01-06-2011, 03:42 PM   #324
Banned

Re: Four Keys to Success for MLB '11: The Show

I haven't really thought too much into detail about it, but I think something like this would work:

The way I would make it work is have it follow the same controls I listed above, just a little bit different. If I remember correctly, I think R1 is the dive button in the game right now. I would just have R1 take place of L1 in diving situations. You dive while holding down R1, if you catch the ball, releasing R1 will transfer the ball from the glove to the hand.

So basically, diving would be the same as it is now, but releasing R1 would be the transfer button while your player either stand upright or throws from the ground.
Old 01-20-2011, 09:52 PM   #325
Banned

Biggest Hope for 11!!

My biggest hope for the new show is that there is more variety in baseball games. I could care less about any details (the show already is the most pleasing graphically looking game Ive ever seen) but the flat out differential in hit totals to create more variety. I played over 300 games of 10 and regardless of difficulty levels and sliders the hit totals were always within 1 to 3 hits 90 percent of the time. I even went through all my seasons and made a chart its actually closer to 95 percent that the run differential was 3 or less.

Last edited by jcern23; 01-20-2011 at 10:44 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-20-2011, 10:12 PM   #326
*ll St*r

Knight165's Arena

OVR: 56
Re: Biggest Hope for 11!!

I just don't see this.
I am in June of 2011 in my Met franchise....after reading this I went and checked May...and unless something crazy gets skewed in the upcoming months(which I never remember noticing before...so I doubt it will be upcoming)...
In 29 games...16 were 3 runs or less....13 were 4 or more run differential.
I see plenty of variety in games..scores...stats. If there is one thing that The Show kind of has built in...it's a bit of randomness IMO.

M.K.
Knight165
Old 01-20-2011, 10:29 PM   #327
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight165
I just don't see this.
I am in June of 2011 in my Met franchise....after reading this I went and checked May...and unless something crazy gets skewed in the upcoming months(which I never remember noticing before...so I doubt it will be upcoming)...
I see plenty of variety in games..scores...stats. If there is one thing that The Show kind of has built in...it's a bit of randomness IMO.

M.K.
Knight165
thats awesome Knight and is really great to hear. Your showing above 50 percent run differential more than 3 which actually is more variety than MLB run differential. Can you tell me what level and sliders you are using and whether you use classic or meter? Really makes me think its me what the heck I have seriously checked so many box scores and charted them but stats are stats.
Old 01-20-2011, 10:51 PM   #328
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight165
I just don't see this.

M.K.
Knight165
Knight I made a very big mistake in my original post I said runs where I meant to say hits. This is the single most important part of what I have seen as it is not a comeback code or final score I am talking about it is the final hit total that is my biggest issue with 10. Please do me a favor and do the same check that you did with a final hit total not a final run total. Thank you and by the way your 2000 roster is awesome great work man!

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen »