Home

MLB 11 The Show First Look

This is a discussion on MLB 11 The Show First Look within the MLB The Show Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 12-17-2010, 01:12 PM   #417
Animal Liberation

EnigmaNemesis's Arena

OVR: 55
Re: MLB 11 The Show First Look

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondsfan
How long has It been since a game had a good true cursor zone hitting? 2K did try it two years ago, but their ugly bat cursor was ridiculously difficult to make contact with. Also the cursor and sweet spot were the same for a pitcher and the best hitter in the league. This has always been my favorite hitting mechanic so I hope it's done well. Preferably, the cursor and sweet spot get bigger for better hitters.

This is definitely the one feature that I'm going to be following info about in the coming months.
It uses the PCI, so it will be bigger and smaller based on hitters, and also bigger and smaller based on counts and situational hitting.
Old 12-17-2010, 01:26 PM   #418
Resident film pundit

Blzer's Arena

Actually CMH, I think Tim pitches like I used to pitch. I stand upright slightly facing the third base line, and I have the ball in my glove and fold my glove over my cup area, hand sort of behind my back, waiting for a sign. After that, he pitches straight from there. So yes, technically he doesn't have a set position anywhere and he simply goes from A to B. I'll have to find a video to confirm this though (and no, I'm not going to record one ).

EDIT: This is the best YouTube video I could find.

Samsung PN60F8500 PDP / Anthem MRX 720 / Klipsch RC-62 II / Klipsch RF-82 II (x2) / Insignia NS-B2111 (x2) / SVS PC13-Ultra / SVS SB-2000 / Sony MDR-7506 Professional / Audio-Technica ATH-R70x / Sony PS3 & PS4 / DirecTV HR44-500 / DarbeeVision DVP-5000 / Panamax M5400-PM / Elgato HD60

Last edited by Blzer; 12-17-2010 at 01:28 PM.
Old 12-17-2010, 01:30 PM   #419
MLB Lead Animator

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMH
Forget a video. Here are two pics from Tim Lincecum pitching.

I'm not gonna go through the trouble of uploading these on a photo hosting site so bear with me here...

PHOTO 1:
Tim Lincecum stands, arms to his side, as the user (here it is the CPU, but it doesn't make a difference in-game) selects the pitch type and location.

PHOTO 2:
Tim Lincecum goes into his set position as he prepares to throw.

The way it should work is Tim Lincecum should always be in his set position like in PHOTO 2. Instead, that's not the case and has never been the case in MLB The Show (or any other baseball game that comes to mind). I'm not sure why that's the case, but it looks awkward to have him and any other pitcher just stand there, arms to their sides as they wait for the sign.

In that video, Tim even waves off a pitch, but he's not even set. His head moves. People like to complain about accessories. I rather will complain about signature styles and to me, the arms to the side animation takes away from the realism of the game.

Watch this video and you'll see what I'm talking about here: http://www.ign.com/videos/2010/03/04...objectid=42460
Allow me to explain...

Prior to last year (or was it the year before) all of our pitchers acted exactly as you describe, but we began re-doing all of our pitchers (a multi-year process) so that they have personal step-ups, nods, etc...we have not finished this process, however, so some "legacy" pitchers remain. These personal step-ups are most obvious from the stretch..where the pitcher will be bent at the waist, etc waiting for signs...but your example of Lincecum is correct, he had not been re-done in the new way.

I am sure Pettitte has a "personal step-up" with his hands up high before he takes his signs. It is possible his hands are not exactly where they should be, and I will look into that, and correct it before we ship.

Chris
Old 12-17-2010, 02:13 PM   #420
#BringBackFaceuary

ChaseB's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_SCEA_Sports
Allow me to explain...

Prior to last year (or was it the year before) all of our pitchers acted exactly as you describe, but we began re-doing all of our pitchers (a multi-year process) so that they have personal step-ups, nods, etc...we have not finished this process, however, so some "legacy" pitchers remain. These personal step-ups are most obvious from the stretch..where the pitcher will be bent at the waist, etc waiting for signs...but your example of Lincecum is correct, he had not been re-done in the new way.

I am sure Pettitte has a "personal step-up" with his hands up high before he takes his signs. It is possible his hands are not exactly where they should be, and I will look into that, and correct it before we ship.

Chris
And boom goes the dynamite.
Old 12-17-2010, 02:23 PM   #421
Rookie

OVR: 1
Stadium Crowds/ Atmosphere

RUSSEL,

Can you tell us what upgrades have been made to the crowds aswell as stadium atmosphere. An upgrade I have been dying for is having fans in the crowd actually catch or pickup baseballs hit into the stands. I think it would be great to see fans fight over a ball or make a catch. Any info would be great. Thanks. PS Any upgrades on Yankee Stadium auxillary scoreboards next to their jumbotron.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-17-2010, 02:29 PM   #422
Donny Baseball!

Skyboxer's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_SCEA_Sports
Allow me to explain...

Chris
Sweet! Yeah his hands etc.. are off to the side in the game. You shouldn't see anything under his eyes except a bit of nose:

Skyboxer OS TWITCH
STEAM
PSN: Skyboxeros
SWITCH 8211-0709-4612
XBOX Skyboxer OS

Last edited by Skyboxer; 12-17-2010 at 02:31 PM.
Old 12-17-2010, 02:47 PM   #423
All Star

poster's Arena

OVR: 23

Thanks guys for the replies on the pitching modes, should be fun.
Old 12-17-2010, 02:51 PM   #424
RIP Ty My Buddy

nemesis04's Arena

OVR: 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by poster
Thanks guys for the replies on the pitching modes, should be fun.
A blast from the past! Hi poster!

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen »