Home

Four Keys to Success for MLB '11: The Show

This is a discussion on Four Keys to Success for MLB '11: The Show within the MLB The Show Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 09-24-2010, 05:15 PM   #169
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

OVR: 62
Re: Four Keys to Success for MLB '11: The Show

Quote:
Originally Posted by swaldo
I'm not following you on this, please let me know what I am not understanding...
What you're not understanding is that what you are asking for are different visual aids to display the ratings. But the ratings will still play a part, which is something you were seemingly complaining about earlier in the thread saying they caused "random" outcomes.

No matter what you do, what visual aids you implement, ratings will ALWAYS be part of the equation.

I'm not sure I can make it any clearer than that.

I miss the old days of Operation Sports :(

Louisville Cardinals/St.Louis Cardinals
Old 09-24-2010, 05:48 PM   #170
Banned

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboy
What you're not understanding is that what you are asking for are different visual aids to display the ratings. But the ratings will still play a part, which is something you were seemingly complaining about earlier in the thread saying they caused "random" outcomes.

No matter what you do, what visual aids you implement, ratings will ALWAYS be part of the equation.

I agree that ratings must be a part of the outcome because if they didn't and you put too much control in the user's hands, then a bad player could play like a superstar. Ya know what I mean ?

On the other hand, Swaldo was talking about removing some player ratings from the coded equation and putting them into visual aids instead of being hard coded into the engine. I actually like that idea, but some player ratings must stay hard coded in the engine or the simulation aspect of The Show will be lost and that just wouldn't be right in my opinion.
Old 09-24-2010, 06:41 PM   #171
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLB01
I agree that ratings must be a part of the outcome because if they didn't and you put too much control in the user's hands, then a bad player could play like a superstar. Ya know what I mean ?
I know what you mean as that is what I have been saying.

Quote:
On the other hand, Swaldo was talking about removing some player ratings from the coded equation and putting them into visual aids instead of being hard coded into the engine. I actually like that idea, but some player ratings must stay hard coded in the engine or the simulation aspect of The Show will be lost and that just wouldn't be right in my opinion.
Visual aids are nothing more than a representation of ratings. I fail to understand the logic of removing ratings and making them nothing more than visual aids. If the ratings are removed, then how do players progress/regress? What aspect of the player is the game going to evaluate in order to determine if he gets better as a contact hitter, worse as a pitcher, etc....?

Ratings are a vital part to the game. Removing them, in my opinion, makes no sense. I know you're not talking about all ratings, but even some. The game is designed to take all ratings into account for their given situation. Removing any of them, not only causes players to lose "significance", but also causes the dev team to completely re-write how situations are now handled without those ratings.

How is that a good idea? Why try to re-invent the wheel? The Show has the simulation aspect of the game down pretty well. Can it get better? Sure, but completely undoing what they have spent numerous years "perfecting" isn't the answer, at least I sure as hell hope it isn't. (see Madden series for example)

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-24-2010, 07:46 PM   #172
All Star

HustlinOwl's Arena

OVR: 50

hitter's eye = gimmick
Old 09-24-2010, 10:42 PM   #173
Rookie

OVR: 0
How about this I play RTTS alot. My players stats (1st Base) were all 99. At the end of my contract I became a free agent and didnt like any of the teams giving me an offer so i tried out for a team in spring training, and I made sure it was team were I was the better player at 1st. I tore it up in spring training and oddly enough was not offered a contract, big deal I thougt, Ill get picked up during the season.... I didnt get picked up or offered any contract. This has happened more than once and it is very irritating. I wish there was something they would do about this. And also, whenever I ask the manager for a position change, i get shot down and benched. I make sure its a position in need of good defense and there is someone that can cover my old position but i still get benched for asking. Whats the point in having having the option if you cant use it?
Old 09-26-2010, 12:51 AM   #174
MVP

swaldo's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboy

What you're saying still doesn't add up. You stated in a previous post...

"You cannot separate good players from bad players by user input and changes to the aids."

Sure you can! I proved this in my last post. And the only ratings I said that I would like to see removed are not even ratings, they are stats! H/9, W/9, SO/9 etc. The Show apparently calls these "ratings", but really shouldn't they only be used for simming games or in a 'manage only' capacity?

And what I'm talking about is a system with transparency. You'll know exactly why you swung and missed on a pitch or hit a home run. Isn't that better than wondering why the ball flopped on perfect/meatball?

So basically I think developers should ask the question: What makes some pro baseball players better or worse than other players, and way better than mere mortals like us? And how can we translate that visually in a game to replicate their abilities in order to make a more organic user experience?

One thing that is clear is that you're happy with the system as is. That's cool, but understand that a system which is based somewhat around pre-determined outcomes is not the future. It might suffice for now because there aren't alot of options, but eventually people are going to tire of it and want more control.

Last edited by swaldo; 09-26-2010 at 12:55 AM.
Old 09-26-2010, 01:31 AM   #175
*ll St*r

Knight165's Arena

OVR: 56

Quote:

"You cannot separate good players from bad players by user input and changes to the aids."

Sure you can! I proved this in my last post. And the only ratings I said that I would like to see removed are not even ratings, they are stats! H/9, W/9, SO/9 etc. The Show apparently calls these "ratings", but really shouldn't they only be used for simming games or in a 'manage only' capacity?

And what I'm talking about is a system with transparency. You'll know exactly why you swung and missed on a pitch or hit a home run. Isn't that better than wondering why the ball flopped on perfect/meatball?

So basically I think developers should ask the question: What makes some pro baseball players better or worse than other players, and way better than mere mortals like us? And how can we translate that visually in a game to replicate their abilities in order to make a more organic user experience?

One thing that is clear is that you're happy with the system as is. That's cool, but understand that a system which is based somewhat around pre-determined outcomes is not the future. It might suffice for now because there aren't alot of options, but eventually people are going to tire of it and want more control.
It is not a pre-determined outcome.
It sounds like you don't want an MLB sim game....you want a generic batting cage.
Thanks...but you can keep it.

M.K.
Knight165
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-26-2010, 09:46 AM   #176
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

Quote:

All that you have proven is how visual aids can be used to display the differences in ratings.

Quote:
Ever play baseball before? I mean, organized competitive baseball? Ever watch it on TV? You can time the pitch perfectly, hit the ball on the sweetspot and still hit the ball into an out. It happens. Just as you can be fooled, flip the bat and get a hit. Its baseball. Sounds to me you want to remove that aspect of a baseball game.

Quote:
Ummmm...they use ratings to separate players. And how they can translate it? Again, you're asking for ways to implement visual aids to display ratings.

Quote:
One thing that is clear is that you're happy with the system as is. That's cool, but understand that a system which is based somewhat around pre-determined outcomes is not the future.
What an ignorant statement.

Outcomes are pre-determined...you know that how? Tell me, since you think the system is broken, what ratings are used in any given situation that influence the outcome? Whats the formula? How much does user input influence any situation?

I read thru that post and all I see, once again, is how you are wanting visual aids to represent the ratings differences of players. Now I'll wait to read how I'm not understanding what you're saying.

Last edited by countryboy; 09-26-2010 at 08:21 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen »