Home

The Show vs. 2K: MLB Grudge Match

This is a discussion on The Show vs. 2K: MLB Grudge Match within the Other Baseball Games forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 05-25-2010, 03:57 PM   #17
MVP

Braves Fan's Arena

OVR: 11
Re: The Show vs. 2K: MLB Grudge Match

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudyjuly2
Practice doesn't make perfect. I've played hundreds of games with the Show and I have always averaged less than half a walk a game because the pitch speed is too fast for me. I'm simply not going to get better. I've accepted that. It's a VERY easy and small fix for SCEA that has a huge impact on my enjoyment of the game. Just give your pitch speed slider more weight for those of us that want to slow it down (put your sliders back to a 20 point system too).
Then use some of the other features like guess pitch to help you.

You can improve at recognizing pitches, I know because I have.
Old 05-25-2010, 08:46 PM   #18
Cade Cunningham

rudyjuly2's Arena

OVR: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braves Fan
Then use some of the other features like guess pitch to help you.

You can improve at recognizing pitches, I know because I have.
Guess pitch is a gimic and completely unrealistic. Nobody can sit there and guess a pitch and know 100% certain when a pitcher throws it. The fact that hitter and pitcher ratings don't matter at all means it's a gimic. I don't even want to debate that.

My point is that there are quite a few people that think the pitch speed is too fast. There isn't a simpler fix out there than making the pitch speed slider work better. If they don't want to that's fine. I just won't buy the Show anymore. I'm tired of having to deal with that issue.
Old 05-25-2010, 10:20 PM   #19
7 dirty words...

ryan36's Arena

OVR: 36

I thought 2k sucked? Even post patch? That's all I see...it's great for arcade, but immersion sucks.

I guess for me, if franchise/dynasty is broken, that makes a game real hard to play.
Old 05-25-2010, 11:34 PM   #20
DJ
Hall Of Fame

DJ's Arena

OVR: 47

Quote:
Guess pitch is a gimic and completely unrealistic. Nobody can sit there and guess a pitch and know 100% certain when a pitcher throws it. The fact that hitter and pitcher ratings don't matter at all means it's a gimic. I don't even want to debate that.

My point is that there are quite a few people that think the pitch speed is too fast. There isn't a simpler fix out there than making the pitch speed slider work better. If they don't want to that's fine. I just won't buy the Show anymore. I'm tired of having to deal with that issue.
It's weird, I think playing 2K has helped my timing in The Show. It may be placebo, but I feel like pitch speed in 10 is slower than 09. In 09 even with the slider zeroed I would struggle with timing. In 10, I'm reading pitches a lot better.
PGA Tour 2K23 (PS5)
Old 05-26-2010, 01:30 AM   #21
MVP

dodgerblue's Arena

OVR: 19
Good review, pretty spot on imo. The show is the more realistic and solid game of the two, but mlb2k10 is more innovative. Both games are fun, but unless you dedicate a lot of time (and I mean a lot) to the show, I don't think you can succeed at it and it gets frustrating. The easier levels should be easy and the difficult levels difficult and the sliders should impact the game more than they do.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-26-2010, 04:34 AM   #22
Banned

OVR: 31

Quote:

So you'll settle for an inferior game just due to pitch speed? I don't buy it rudy. I'm not a big baseball guy and I don't have many problems getting hits in either title this year. Ratings do matter in the Show, and I think you know that. I can understand playing 2k for a different experience since you've been a Show guy for a while, but seriously its not even a contest when it comes to which game is both more polished and presents a better game of actual realistic baseball and it isn't 2k.
Old 05-26-2010, 07:52 AM   #23
All Star

HustlinOwl's Arena

OVR: 50

pitch speed too fast in the show? I have it at 8!!
Old 05-26-2010, 08:26 AM   #24
Cade Cunningham

rudyjuly2's Arena

OVR: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by HustlinOwl
pitch speed too fast in the show? I have it at 8!!
It's too fast for me. It may be fine for 95% of you but that doesn't matter if I'm frustrated. I'm the only one that counts when I'm playing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealmK
So you'll settle for an inferior game just due to pitch speed? I don't buy it rudy. I'm not a big baseball guy and I don't have many problems getting hits in either title this year. Ratings do matter in the Show, and I think you know that. I can understand playing 2k for a different experience since you've been a Show guy for a while, but seriously its not even a contest when it comes to which game is both more polished and presents a better game of actual realistic baseball and it isn't 2k.
It's not just pitch speed. That was one factor. As I said, the commentary, pitching and batting angles and analog controls all make 2K10 more fun for me. I have stated many times (and I did earlier as well) that the Show is clearly more polished and is a better sim but it's stale right now for me. I'm bored with the pitching system in the Show and the fun factor just isn't there anymore.

And my comments with regards to ratings were directed soley at the guess pitch mechanic. Batter and pitcher ratings don't affect how that feature works which is why I said that. I never said batter and pitcher ratings don't matter while playing the game - only with that one feature.

Realmk, don't get so bent out of shape is someone doesn't prefer the Show. All that really matters is how you feel about a game. I've read hundreds of comments from people that prefer the Show and I'm fine with that. The fact I prefer MLB 2K10 this year is my choice and whatever reasons I have for it shouldn't bother you.

Last edited by rudyjuly2; 05-26-2010 at 08:51 AM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games »