Home

MLB '10: The Show Review

This is a discussion on MLB '10: The Show Review within the MLB The Show Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 03-12-2010, 08:52 PM   #65
Pro

ballin095's Arena

OVR: 5
Re: MLB '10: The Show Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewski19
I am sure I will get ripped for saying this, but this game is not anywhere close to MVP 05, this game is slightly better than last year's game, which was good. It has a couple glaring errors that were present last year and still have not been addressed.

First, the baserunning is quite possibly the worst in video game baseball history. To many runners get picked off -whether trying to steal or not, and by righties and lefties. It is insane that in a three game series Carl Crawford was picked off 6 of the 8 times he got on base (only 3 of the 6 was I actually trying to steal and 2 of them I did not even have any extra lead, also I never take more than one step bc the computer then just throws over till you stop).

The number of times runners get picked off is just stupid, and it leads in to the other flaw in the running game. The other flaw is that runners stealing can slide and be half way over the base and will be called out. This error drives me nuts, it is almost as bad as the useless check swing system that seems to be a complete coin-flip. I get that people get thrown out stealing, but usually if they are lying on second base when the ball gets there they are safe.

The other baserunning problem is balls down the line. You can hit a ball into the corner and get thrown out going for a double with all but the absolute fastest runners. It seems to be a result largely of that fact that every computer controlled right and left fielder plays the ball off the wall or down the line perfectly, yet also still manages to cover the gap perfectly as well, not sure how that's possible, and then also has an incredibly accurate arm.

Balls into the corner are doubles, balls down the line are usually doubles in general, unless the of is way over toward the line, or in the case of MLB The Show maybe all computer of's are Bugs Bunny.

The other major flaw is in the in-game fast forward where the computer team is amazingly adept at 6 and 7 run innings. In playing 20 games using fast forward for all my pitching (playing with Atlanta's staff with Cliff Lee instead of Kawakami, so a pretty good staff) the computer scored 6 or 7 runs in an inning 11 times. Somebody might wanna research how many times major league teams scored that many runs in an inning last year, bc I am betting it was nowhere near the rate of one every other game. If you are not willing to program the statistics to correctly handle fast forward then do not have it in the game.

Sadly, stuff like this ruins many games for me. I get frustrated with an inability to play a pressure style for fear of getting picked off or thrown out going for a double, or disheartened when my staff gives up 7 runs every couple innings, and there is no reason to finish the game.

I know that these games are never going to be perfect, but these seem like pretty basic problems. The baserunning and pickoffs especially. The saddest part is that if they had just left the sliders from the 2008 game in the game where we could adjust everything to our liking most of these could be fixed for me. I could slow down there outfielders, etc. Unfortunately, last year, SCEA decided that they would tell us how to play the game and drastically limited our choices. I cannot afford to fix the universal sliders, my only option, to these parameters bc the cpu already gets its doubles, stolen bases, and never gets picked off so it would just further hurt my cause.

I think it's a okay to good game, but for it to be great the basics have to be done better.

Also, on a side note, could somebody please tell me why every time you hit a ground ball foul to the stands some idiot falls onto the field. I know it happens, and I like the attempt to create more fan interaction, but not every time please.
interesting post there, nice read
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-12-2010, 09:25 PM   #66
Hard Times.

Bellsprout's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
The other baserunning problem is balls down the line. You can hit a ball into the corner and get thrown out going for a double with all but the absolute fastest runners. It seems to be a result largely of that fact that every computer controlled right and left fielder plays the ball off the wall or down the line perfectly, yet also still manages to cover the gap perfectly as well, not sure how that's possible, and then also has an incredibly accurate arm.
Considering I have Casey McGehee in the top 5 in the MLB in doubles in my Franchise, I feel like you must be doing something wrong. The only time I get thrown out going to second is if the outfielder cuts the ball off before it hits the wall or if it's a freaking bullet that gets down the line too quickly.
A lot of you guys seem pretty cool, but you have wieners.
Old 03-12-2010, 09:45 PM   #67
MVP

Braves Fan's Arena

OVR: 11

I never played MVP '05, what was so great about it? I've watched videos on youtube and I was not impressed at all. Everyone keeps talking about what a legendary game it was though.

I'd much rather play '10 than that one, even with all the glitches.
Old 03-12-2010, 10:00 PM   #68
Rookie

OVR: 1
maybe i am, and if you can fix it please tell, but it happens to me all the time, happened earlier today with nate mclouth on a ball down the line and up against the wall foul towards the corner at turner field. never seen anybody thrown out from there in a game and i have covered the braves for a year, along with living in atlanta my whole life.
Old 03-12-2010, 10:04 PM   #69
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Segagendude
1) This belongs in the Bugs and Glitches thread.

2) Workaround here:
[/color]
thanks, i figured somebody had already had that problem, and i posted it in the bugs and glitches section at sony, but i did not think about that here, thanks for letting me know about the update, but i already have that patch and it is still doing the same thing. tried the work around, but it does not work after the fact, hopefully they will get it fixed with the patch coming in april. thanks.
Old 03-12-2010, 10:08 PM   #70
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braves Fan
I never played MVP '05, what was so great about it? I've watched videos on youtube and I was not impressed at all. Everyone keeps talking about what a legendary game it was though.

I'd much rather play '10 than that one, even with all the glitches.
you may be right about mvp 05, i have not played it in over 2 years and we all tend to remember things as better than they actually were. however, i do know that i found far fewer glaring issues when i played mvp. i have only ever posted complaints about 3 games. last years' mlb the show and this years' being two of them. not they the games are bad, far from it, but it just frustrates me how close it is to being great if not for these seemingly obvious problems.
Old 03-12-2010, 10:28 PM   #71
Banned

Problem with MVP 05 IMO is that painting the corners was WAY TOO EASY!!!

You could literally do it like 98% of the time. The meter was to responsive in my opinion even on the hardest settings.

And if painting the corners is too easy, it really takes away from the pitcher/batter battles and in turn takes away from the game as a whole. I remember playing against my friends and we would always have 1-0 and 2-1 scores all the time cuz pitching was near impossible to hit if someone knew what they were doing.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-12-2010, 10:29 PM   #72
Banned

Quote:
maybe i am, and if you can fix it please tell, but it happens to me all the time, happened earlier today with nate mclouth on a ball down the line and up against the wall foul towards the corner at turner field. never seen anybody thrown out from there in a game and i have covered the braves for a year, along with living in atlanta my whole life.
Turn the fielder speed down, this should help.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen »