Home

MLB '10: The Show Review

This is a discussion on MLB '10: The Show Review within the MLB The Show Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 03-12-2010, 12:50 AM   #57
Rookie

OVR: 1
I am sure I will get ripped for saying this, but this game is not anywhere close to MVP 05, this game is slightly better than last year's game, which was good. It has a couple glaring errors that were present last year and still have not been addressed.

First, the baserunning is quite possibly the worst in video game baseball history. To many runners get picked off -whether trying to steal or not, and by righties and lefties. It is insane that in a three game series Carl Crawford was picked off 6 of the 8 times he got on base (only 3 of the 6 was I actually trying to steal and 2 of them I did not even have any extra lead, also I never take more than one step bc the computer then just throws over till you stop).

The number of times runners get picked off is just stupid, and it leads in to the other flaw in the running game. The other flaw is that runners stealing can slide and be half way over the base and will be called out. This error drives me nuts, it is almost as bad as the useless check swing system that seems to be a complete coin-flip. I get that people get thrown out stealing, but usually if they are lying on second base when the ball gets there they are safe.

The other baserunning problem is balls down the line. You can hit a ball into the corner and get thrown out going for a double with all but the absolute fastest runners. It seems to be a result largely of that fact that every computer controlled right and left fielder plays the ball off the wall or down the line perfectly, yet also still manages to cover the gap perfectly as well, not sure how that's possible, and then also has an incredibly accurate arm.

Balls into the corner are doubles, balls down the line are usually doubles in general, unless the of is way over toward the line, or in the case of MLB The Show maybe all computer of's are Bugs Bunny.

The other major flaw is in the in-game fast forward where the computer team is amazingly adept at 6 and 7 run innings. In playing 20 games using fast forward for all my pitching (playing with Atlanta's staff with Cliff Lee instead of Kawakami, so a pretty good staff) the computer scored 6 or 7 runs in an inning 11 times. Somebody might wanna research how many times major league teams scored that many runs in an inning last year, bc I am betting it was nowhere near the rate of one every other game. If you are not willing to program the statistics to correctly handle fast forward then do not have it in the game.

Sadly, stuff like this ruins many games for me. I get frustrated with an inability to play a pressure style for fear of getting picked off or thrown out going for a double, or disheartened when my staff gives up 7 runs every couple innings, and there is no reason to finish the game.

I know that these games are never going to be perfect, but these seem like pretty basic problems. The baserunning and pickoffs especially. The saddest part is that if they had just left the sliders from the 2008 game in the game where we could adjust everything to our liking most of these could be fixed for me. I could slow down there outfielders, etc. Unfortunately, last year, SCEA decided that they would tell us how to play the game and drastically limited our choices. I cannot afford to fix the universal sliders, my only option, to these parameters bc the cpu already gets its doubles, stolen bases, and never gets picked off so it would just further hurt my cause.

I think it's a okay to good game, but for it to be great the basics have to be done better.

Also, on a side note, could somebody please tell me why every time you hit a ground ball foul to the stands some idiot falls onto the field. I know it happens, and I like the attempt to create more fan interaction, but not every time please.
Old 03-12-2010, 01:33 AM   #58
Rookie

OVR: 3
Re: MLB '10: The Show Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by travis72
For one they should have never given madden that high of score. At this stage with the bugs MLB is a 8.5 IMO while Madden never should have be given more than a 7.5. Actually no EA game sports game (basketball or football) should be given more than that considering there motto to fixing issues is wait till next year.
Which is exactly why I said OS dropped the ball.They fell into the Madden hype,and I expect more than that from OS.

I have no problem with OS giving The Show 10 an 8.5,although I don't agree with the reviewers reasons for doing so.In my opinion,bugs are the only thing holding The Show 10 back.

How any reviewer can knock a game for lacking innovation is beyond me.It's 2010,innovation in video games is basically dead.And I don't expect that to change until technology gets better.The closet thing I've seen to innovation on "next gen" consoles,is Little Big Planet.But even that games concept has been done before.

Fact is,The Show 10 is the closet I've ever seen a sports title to perfection.But yet it gets knocked for lacking innovation?And the commentary being stale? Sports gamers these days are so spoiled....To each his own.
Old 03-12-2010, 02:13 AM   #59
Rookie

OVR: 7
Based on on-field gameplay, I give it a 9.5 for all the obvious reasons. Anyone that cannot see the improvements in 10 vs 09 for gameplay is really missing the boat. The presentation with the TV cams alone is fantastic. I am seeing new realistic animations and gameplay outcomes that are absolutely the best in a baseball game ever! I have always loved the pitcher/batter interface. The batting is as good as it gets. I hate the Swingstick in other games. I really despised the Pitching interface in the 2K games with the ridiculous Meatball, but 2K10's pitching works very well this year and would like to see that implemented in The Show for 2011.

I think the commentary is very good. I am hearing things I never heard the last two years. Unfortunately, I am hearing some glaring bugs once in a while too.

If I was a franchise or sim only guy, I would probably be upset with all the issues, but my main focus is the gameplay on the field. It has never been done better in any baseball game, and is MUCH better than the last two years of The Show. Don't be fooled by those who don't get it. This is a fantastic playing baseball game on the field.
Old 03-12-2010, 11:48 AM   #60
Rookie

texasgmr's Arena

OVR: 19
Great job! Nice review.
Old 03-12-2010, 12:40 PM   #61
Rookie

Dreifort's Arena

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by brinks
What I find funny about sports game reviews is the games are always compared to last year's versions and that's it. Madden 10 is better than Madden 09. MLB 10 isn't much of a jump from MLB 09.

I haven't played a baseball game since MLB 2K7. I don't care about MLB 09 vs MLB 10. All I care about is MLB 10 as a PS3 game in 2010. How good is the game in the life of the PS3? We need reviewers that don't assume we've played last year's iteration. This game stands alone for me. Review it that way. Or at least present that point of view.

I would guess near 75% of those buying MLB10 are doing so because they are prev purchasers of the MLB: The Show series. So a review comparing 10 to 09 makes a lot of sense when the target audience is made up primarily of MLB09 owners.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-12-2010, 06:10 PM   #62
Rookie

OVR: 1
new problem I just found...

You know how it tells you to switch positions if you want to leave a pinch hitter for the pitcher in the game? Well, every time I try to do that I get told that I cannot change positions with the pitcher, therefore I can never leave the pinch hitter in the game. Come on Sony, this is common sense stuff, did you even play this game before releasing it?
Old 03-12-2010, 07:18 PM   #63
Banned

OVR: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewski19
new problem I just found...

You know how it tells you to switch positions if you want to leave a pinch hitter for the pitcher in the game? Well, every time I try to do that I get told that I cannot change positions with the pitcher, therefore I can never leave the pinch hitter in the game. Come on Sony, this is common sense stuff, did you even play this game before releasing it?
1) This belongs in the Bugs and Glitches thread.

2) Workaround here:
Quote:
-"The double switch is broken....it says to sub for pitcher but won't allow me to"
I believe this was patched in the 1st patch. It does work....but after you go through those first screens saying to sub....hit continue...then click X on the pitcher again. You will now see the double switch option come up.
Some report problems if you back out...so make sure it's what you want before you start the DS.
Old 03-12-2010, 08:47 PM   #64
MVP

Braves Fan's Arena

OVR: 11

Well here are my thoughts on the review and the game itself.

Pitching Meter - don't use it and I don't care for it. I'm a classic pitching guy, always have been. I don't like the extra stuff on the screen, it distracts me. When I'm playing I want it to look like I'm watching a game. That's why I don't use the guess pitch feature, strike zone, PCI, or any other things that take away from the beauty of the game. I am a x button swinger only, always have been and always will be. I hope they never take that option away.

Franchise mode is what is holding this game back from being absolutely amazing. This is what I want the development team to spend all their time focusing on for 2011. Gameplay is not that bad, there are a few glitches here or there but overall it's pretty good. Franchise needs all their attention imo. The option needs to be there where you can go with a single team franchise and compete vs the CPU. Realistic moves need to be made, logic needs to be applied, payrolls need to be accurate, lineups need to be right, injuries need to be realistic as well. I don't know how they can get it to work right but it needs a lot of improvement. I can deal with the work arounds right now but I'm hoping next year they won't be necessary.

The review was solid, it focused on the positives and negatives and at the end of the day encouraged gamers to go out and buy it. It was honest and to the point, didn't come off as praising or bashing the game imo.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen »