Home

NBA Live Needs the Dream

This is a discussion on NBA Live Needs the Dream within the NBA Live forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA Live
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 02-16-2010, 01:27 AM   #33
All Star

rockchisler's Arena

OVR: 40
Re: NBA Live Needs the Dream

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcabanski
#1 "And when I look at Live, the footwork resembles players dribbling a soccer ball on a giant playing field rather than a dribbling a basketball in an NBA arena."

When describing technical aspects of a game, it's important to be precise. NBA players don't play in an arena, they play on a court. In soccer the field is in the stadium, in basketball the court is in the arena or stadium. The field and the court are where players play in each sport.

#2 there is no such thing as classic rap. An album full of swearing and negative themes, cut by a guy awaiting criminal charges for gun possession and assault, isn't classic
Don't get holy on us about music, all music has some history of negativity so what. Dont like it go listen to Taylor Swift.

Follow me on www.Twitter.com/Rockchisler

Just type [ SPOILER ] and [ / SPOILER ], without any spaces.

ROOKIE KILLER
Old 02-16-2010, 01:30 AM   #34
All Star

rockchisler's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by 23
That's just not enough man.. its like, not enough variety in the game to make up for whats missing.

Shaq goes up for a layup and gets smacked around by guys like Fisher, foul or not like he's webster being clothes lined off of a skateboard. That's just not right.

I understand some guys are having fun becuase certain elements are nice, the jumpers, the crowd, the control, but once you get passed that, the game becomes shallow and it looks like it was signed by Mr Generic himself.

You can't even use a hangar type camera angle... The options given here or lack thereof are pretty lame, which is why im asking about your tweaks because alot of that doesnt seem to work or matter because no matter how many times I play LA, Fisher can do side steps like Chris Paul, Bynum always does step back dribbles on me and I end up cutting the game off because the CPU uses that crap to score when they can't get through otherwise.

..so increasing off ball fouls doesn't eliminate unnecessary contact when it otherwise wouldn't happen. Case in point the Stopping LeBron from a full court break just by standing there with Chris Duhon.
Hey u right Live has its issues but so does the "other " game, The other game cant even get the dribbling up the court with out doing some weird movement or sliding across the floor right, So as long as both get to work during this time then 11 should be something special.

ROOKIE KILLER
Old 02-16-2010, 02:12 AM   #35
ERA

The 24th Letter's Arena

OVR: 38

LOL, but whats the "other game" have to do with it though, really?
The "other game" having faults doesnt make Live any better.....

I think thats the problem, Live needs to build its own legacy, so everytime we bring it up, we dont have to compare it....Look, they gave us a great showing this year...we can only hope they can build and make Live truly relevant again..
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-16-2010, 02:41 AM   #36
yellow

23's Arena

OVR: 65

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockchisler
Hey u right Live has its issues but so does the "other " game, The other game cant even get the dribbling up the court with out doing some weird movement or sliding across the floor right, So as long as both get to work during this time then 11 should be something special.

Man im in the NBA Live forum talking about NBA Live about an NBA Live article.

That's a terrible deflection even going there, rock

If I want to play this game, I dont want to think about anything but this game. I cant enjoy the controls or jumpers too long before i hit things I described multiple times in a quarter and it sucks.

Some of the things I stated shouldn't even be programmed into the system. Bigs doing euro steps when you have their path blocked... that crap is insane.

I was asking you what tweaks you had that makes live fun but I dont see anything yet that remedy the real issues im pointing out.

When the game plays like this, its not fun at all. Its a path to frustration and some ridiculousness too.

If you can save this game for me, tell me how. I cant go off of, its just fun anymore man... alot of this stuff is old.
Old 02-16-2010, 03:51 AM   #37
All Star

rockchisler's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by 23
You can't throw a decent alley opp unless the guy is 2 feet from the rim and even then he'll brick those for no reason

The CPU can take a guy like Dwight and bring the ball up the court on a fastbreak with crossovers but there are so many fundamental things you are not capable of after seeing that, that its disgusting.

I hate how I cant drive in for a dunk or layup without being bodied up or whatever but the CPU can do a quick drive and dunk and you can't even move because the game has your feet in quicksand to contest it, or in time for that matter.

Im not so sure the fifa thing works because again this game is far too imbalanced.
1. I could care less about alley oops since u see it maybe twice agame in real life so I wont comment
2. Never seen Dwight do that so I cant answer
3. I would like to see more contact animations in the paint instead of the same ones now, But Like I said I can get to the paint now with not too much of a problem, My feet are not in quicksand when I defend, i just give them some space.

ROOKIE KILLER

Last edited by rockchisler; 02-16-2010 at 03:54 AM.
Old 02-16-2010, 04:49 AM   #38
Banned

OVR: 12
EA have the resources but time after time they let us down. This is why I don't trust them.
Poor ball physics, player animations and lack of animation variety are a stable of this franchise.

Yes, the game has it's good points but too many issues hamper the gameplay.
Old 02-16-2010, 06:17 AM   #39
Rookie

OVR: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by 23
Man im in the NBA Live forum talking about NBA Live about an NBA Live article.

That's a terrible deflection even going there, rock

If I want to play this game, I dont want to think about anything but this game. I cant enjoy the controls or jumpers too long before i hit things I described multiple times in a quarter and it sucks.

Some of the things I stated shouldn't even be programmed into the system. Bigs doing euro steps when you have their path blocked... that crap is insane.

I was asking you what tweaks you had that makes live fun but I dont see anything yet that remedy the real issues im pointing out.

When the game plays like this, its not fun at all. Its a path to frustration and some ridiculousness too.

If you can save this game for me, tell me how. I cant go off of, its just fun anymore man... alot of this stuff is old.
23, your point is valid when you say the game has a lot of flaws. Some of us can get over it and have fun while playing it, while others get caught up in it and start to get more and more frustrated with the game (and rightfully so).

The contact animation when going to the hoop almost made me give up on the game entirely, wich is a shame because I really like this game whenever everything clicks.

What I realized is that you can at least make the contact animation issue less frustrating. It's all triggered depending of the time you press the shot button in the lane.

For instance, if you get blow past your defender and just after that you press the shot button, you'll probably end up with the dreaded contact animation, no foul and no basket. But if you press the button closer to the basket and the opponent guarding it, more often than not you will get a whistle.

It's kinda lame to know what will happen, but at least the game gets playable that way. And it's not terribly far from reality, when you have a guy like Wade you are supposed to get to the lane and eventually, draw the foul and go to the line.

But at the other side of the coin, we shouldn't even be talking about it since the game should do a better job of dealing with different dribble drive speeds, player momentum, weight, strength, etc...
Old 02-16-2010, 07:11 AM   #40
MVP

OVR: 34
Ive been getting realistic shooting %'s, scores, and user vs CPU foul shot numbers, pretty much from day one, on default all star settings.

Live does many of the core "sim" elements of basetball very, very well.

Its ironic. Live has a legit arguement of being the most "sim" basketball title out right now, but the number one knock on the game, is that there isnt enough flavor.

The dynasty mode layout and presentation is pretty darn basic. In 2k, there's just flat out more things to do, hands on as a user.

But as far as control, pace , play calling, gameplay, and on court NBA "feel"..Live has that.

I just do not undestand the "generic" comments. In Live you can do crosses, hesitations, spins, step backs, drop steps, up and unders, post fallways, post spin, bank shots, floaters, control what hand you want to lay up, post pump fake and drive, post pump fake, back down, hook/drop/post spin, layup/dunk..whatever. Its all there.

In 2k10, its all there as well. You can do the same exact moves..the only difference is the control layout.

If you dont like how these moves animate, then that is a entirely different arguement.

But everything that you would want an NBA player to be able to do, you absolutely can do, in Live.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA Live »