Home

Major League Baseball 2K10 First Look (Gamespot)

This is a discussion on Major League Baseball 2K10 First Look (Gamespot) within the MLB 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MLB 2K
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 01-17-2010, 12:33 AM   #57
MVP

rock85's Arena

OVR: 17
Re: Major League Baseball 2K10 First Look (Gamespot)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevytrev11
They're just better at it.

They have better reflexes, faster hands, better coordination, better pitch recognition skills, better pitch anticipation, better eyes which mean they are better at putting themselves in favorable hittters counts, which mean better pitches to hit, etc. All hitters aren't created equal and just because two guys swing just as hard, doesn't mean the results will be the same.

Jack Cust swings as hard as he can every time up...so does Vladamir Guerrero. It doesn't mean the results are going to be the same. Vlad is better at it. It's why he is going to strike out less, get more hits and hit more HR's.

It's not cause Jack Cust uses a power swing more often, he's just not as talented as Vlad. All hitters are not created equal.

It's like two pitchers with different arm strength. Both can throw their regular fastball and pitcher A can throw 85 and pitcher B can throw 95. Pitcher B isn't doing anything different than pitcher A, he just is built to throw harder. Guys that hit home runs don't try harder, it's just not everyone is built to be a HR hitter, but the majority of the time, all hitters are trying to hit the ball as hard as you can't.

Why wouldn't you?

In a normal at bat early in a game why wouldn't you go into every single at bat and not try to hit the ball as hard as you possibly can? Why would any player come to the plate with bases empty or bases loaded looking to get a hit and not try and hit the ball as hard as he can? Why would they swing softer and hit the ball softer? What advantage is there to hitting a ball softer than harder?

Now if you're telling me he's trying to hit for a certain situation with a certain goal in mind, I agree 100%, but in every situation that this is not the case the hitter is trying to hit the ball as hard as he can.

And if you're telling me with 2 strikes his approach changes to be more defensive, I agree as well with certain hitters, but definitely not all.
Very well said Trev
Old 01-19-2010, 05:38 AM   #58
Member of Rush Nation

CujoMatty's Arena

OVR: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayhawker
Actually, it's not the swing. It's the ability to predict what you are going to get with far more accuracy. They don't swing differently with a 3-1 count. They turn their focus to the one pitch they think they will see, and can safely take any pitch, even a strike, that is not what they were expecting.

It's so much easier to drive the ball when you can focus on one pitch, in one spot. Once you get 2 strikes, most guys do not alter their swings, but don't have the luxury of focusing on just one pitch.

This is actually why I liked the 2K8 technique of a variable sized zone that a batter could predict a pitch would thrown into. Better hitters had larger zones that would reult in a bonus. Weaker hitters had a very small zone. The zone was also variable depending on the count, as it would be smaller with two strikes.

That seemed like a better way to reward the better hitters, and did a pretty good job illustrating how guys hit.
I agree with this a million percent. The size of the zone changed depending on the count, how good a hitter and if the player was hot or cold. I thought that worked pretty good. I'm a little worried about the whole hitting mechanic in general but I'll wait and see. After the second patch and bigfnjoe's sliders I actually enjoyed 2k9 so I have fairly high hopes for this one. I felt the pitching mechanic worked well the last couple years and am not sure if the extra step is necessary but again I'll hold my judgement. I always get the show as well and from what I've been reading for both games I have a feeling it's gonna be a good year in baseball video gaming for me!!
Old 01-19-2010, 06:12 AM   #59
Member of Rush Nation

CujoMatty's Arena

Another thought sorta off topic. I wish 2k would hold a focus group like SCEA does with the show and invited guys like bigfnjoe to find out their input on things to make better. Bigfnjoe seriously made 2k9 playable for me. It would be nice to see u as well as some others get to have some feedback after all their hard work. While most people were jumping ship to the show there was still a few people trying to help 2k players out. I was fortunate to enjoy both games largely because of OS members like bigfnjoe so for that thank you!!!!
Old 01-19-2010, 08:33 AM   #60
Banned

OVR: 38

If the pitcher vs Batter duel is truly based on Real stats , day night L-R ect this game could truly be a nice sim as VC was always very trust worthy group and now they had a full cycle.
Old 01-19-2010, 01:41 PM   #61
Pro

OVR: 6
Icon2 Re: Major League Baseball 2K10 First Look (Gamespot)

I'm confused on the My Player mode, are they saying you wont be playing in the field all game - only critical moments that they decide?

I hope this can be changed by choice or toggled - maybe I'm fooling myself, but I would like to play shortstop and watch each pitch trying to remain focused on any ball put in play and where I need to go with the ball if hit or what base to backup. thats fun to me, assuming its a great camera angle that should make you feel like you are down on the field playing ball, the new animations will be critical for needed realism also. how does the show handle this? do you play the field or just hit?

I really enjoyed the My Player mode in NBA2k10, except not having custom sliders pretty much ruins the mode. please dont make this mistake twice 2k, and add sliders to My Player mode!!! (since you dont have to worry about online my player cheaters)

we all know 2k's gameplay needs massive slider tweeks, no matter how close they get it...everyone has their own style of play they like, and why not give us the option since we're shelling out the $60...
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-19-2010, 02:04 PM   #62
MVP

Trevytrev11's Arena

OVR: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by m-dogg
I'm confused on the My Player mode, are they saying you wont be playing in the field all game - only critical moments that they decide?
Hopefully for your sake and others with the same goal in mind they allow this option.

I'm only skeptical because I'm pretty sure the'll tout this feature as one that allows you to actually take your player through an entire career and try to reach milestones in a reasonable amount of time (games take 5-10 minutes or less). If you play every single play of the game, you're not gaining the full advantage of moving quickly through a career compared to just creating a player and playing franchise (I guess you would save time on the offensive side assuming you only have to play when up to bat or on base).
Old 01-19-2010, 07:34 PM   #63
Hall Of Fame

bigfnjoe96's Arena

OVR: 28

FYI everyone. Ronnie over @ 2k said you can turn OFF the TEXT in the Options in reference to the Batter's Eye
Old 01-20-2010, 12:11 AM   #64
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfnjoe96
FYI everyone. Ronnie over @ 2k said you can turn OFF the TEXT in the Options in reference to the Batter's Eye
Why thanks. 2K10 has my hopes up higher than the past few years because I haven't expected too much. With these new featurees and seemingly improved animations, all any of us can really hope is more polish. All I'm afraid of are the same weird bugs that have plagued the past three MLB2K games.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MLB 2K »