Home

NBA 2K10 Review

This is a discussion on NBA 2K10 Review within the NBA 2K Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 10-07-2009, 08:34 AM   #97
Banned

OVR: 12
Re: NBA 2K10 Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boilerbuzz
I sorta agree and disagree at the same time. Let's think about it. If you made the perfect game in 08, what else are you expected to do for 09. Now, OF COURSE, 2K10 is FAR from perfect. But if the game was a handful of issues away from being the holy grail, how would you rate it? I have no problem with the rating. It's pretty much what I would have given it, I guess. But at some point, if they are going to make games on an annual basis, you HAVE to be able to sense a year worth of work on the game. The question is, do changes noted in the review represent a fair amount of a year's worth of work for the developers? If you can say 'yes', then maybe you can justify a higher score. If not, a lower score should be expected...

With that said, I think NHL, MLB, NBA, soccer, and NFL games need to continue to innovate to some degree. All annual sports game. Otherwise, why should anyone buy them year after year?
I can see your point about innovation. Does 12 months give developers enough time to take a new direction from the game's current mechanics, which honestly are quite solid? It's one hell of a risk. If it was financially viable I think a 2 year development cycle would be a good idea to give them the opportunity to try and test new ideas.

Overall though, I think developers are judged too harshly because a game isn't that different from the previous version. If you look at it from the perspective of someone who is new to the game I'm sure they would be more impressed. Afterall there are some people who've never played 2K's basketball games.
Old 10-07-2009, 09:11 AM   #98
Banned

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by sambowie
I love how some people are so myopic they use their "interpretation skills" to glean that I was making a comment about one poster, i.e. you. All I know is that after reading several posts accusing the reviewer of bias (and seeing similar accusations of bias all over this site directed to OSers) I got a little tired of the attack.

Disagree with this view all you want but try to do it without petty personal attacks next time.
I should apoligise for the "misinterpretation" on my part, but I get a little tired of the snide remarks on this site.
Old 10-07-2009, 10:14 AM   #99
D* B**rs!

Boilerbuzz's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalsanto0026
I can see your point about innovation. Does 12 months give developers enough time to take a new direction from the game's current mechanics, which honestly are quite solid? It's one hell of a risk. If it was financially viable I think a 2 year development cycle would be a good idea to give them the opportunity to try and test new ideas.

Overall though, I think developers are judged too harshly because a game isn't that different from the previous version. If you look at it from the perspective of someone who is new to the game I'm sure they would be more impressed. Afterall there are some people who've never played 2K's basketball games.
Exactly. I just think that too many people get jaded. Whether the feel of the game is great or terrible, it seems all they want is "different". I really hate that. My best example is Madden. The old gen Maddens played and felt awesome. They changed for the current gen systems and broke a LOT of things that were great about the game. Now, in MY opinion, the franchise is in the toilet in terms of overall quality of gameplay. It's a harsh opinion, but my point is that change for the sake of change is ***. People complaining about the game "feeling the same" are just looking to complain. They are bored and want to feel something new. Nothing is wrong with that. Just recognize it for what it is.

Once a sports title hits a console, that's pretty much the look and feel you're going to be stuck with until the new consoles come. People need to get over themselves and accept that. It takes more than 12 months to make a new game.
Old 10-07-2009, 10:47 AM   #100
Rookie

OVR: 3

Too much help defense, too easy to get under the hoop and score, and maybe its just me but I cant stay in front of anybody with the new lockon d. But on the positive, the courts bigger, turbo bar cuts down cheesing, no more constant trapping, makes the game way more fair to play.

9/10

Twitter - @Sicksteen_216

"I'm the best 2K player in the Northern Hemisphere"
Old 10-07-2009, 12:08 PM   #101
Rookie

OVR: 2
The game is great. I think that there needs to be a patch for the over spectacular alley-oop ability. I don't like the release system it is difficult to tell when you are shooting a bad or a good shot. But the gameplay is more sim than ever. It is more difficult to pull off cross-overs. But over all I love the game and all of the extras
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-07-2009, 12:32 PM   #102
Banned

OVR: 49

I have no problem with a 8.5. Sounds fair I guess.

However, Madden 2010 is a 9 and this is a 8.5?
Old 10-07-2009, 12:37 PM   #103
Rookie

OVR: 16
The game is clunky. The movement is still terrible like last year.

Basketball is a game of small steps. The way the game is set up you take one step at a time. It makes the game slow and unresponsive.

Offline this can be fixed by bumping the speed up to 55-57.

When I play with the speed bumped up all of a sudden the small steps that are constantly made on a basketball court are apparent. Where do you think the squeaky sneakers on the hardwood come from.

Online this is going to be a problem. I don't see 2k bumping the speed up for the game online. Which to me will makes the game unplayable. For some reason the game has become less responsive every year since 2k7.

Since I only play online I'm headed out right now to by Live.
Old 10-07-2009, 02:14 PM   #104
Rookie

OVR: 5
Fair review in my opinion. I haven't yet picked this game up but I sure played the heck out of the 360 demo. I tried the PS3 Live 10 demo, played two games and deleted it. Just too cartoony for me but I did enjoy playing around in the hangar. Has anyone heard anything with regards to frame rate differences between 2K10 on the 360 vs PS3? Thanks in advance for any input.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen »