Home

NBA Live 10 Demo Available, Post Impressions Here (360)

This is a discussion on NBA Live 10 Demo Available, Post Impressions Here (360) within the NBA Live forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA Live
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 09-14-2009, 02:48 AM   #945
Hall Of Fame

Playmakers's Arena

OVR: 40
Re: NBA Live 10 Demo Available, Post Impressions Here (360)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 23
In the elbow area, ft line area, and on the baseline, it happens maybe not that often but its more of a thing of position rather than just willy nilly posting guys up near the 3pt line or whatever. That wasnt my thoughts and I'd think that to be quite silly.

Vince posts up at the ft line and launches his patented high arc hangtime fadeaway. Those are the kinds of shots im talking about.

That said im not sure or not there will be a happy medium for guys but there is never anything wrong with having options. Hopefully we figure this thing out together by the time retail ships
The Mavs use Dirk to post at the high elbow all the time. He usually starts his back down from there which leads to his go to move.

Bigger 2G's like Jason Richardson and even a PG like Chauncey Billups still post up outside on the wing.

So you are right the ability to post up should be more user friendly IMO. They don't have to make it easier to score but it should be easier to trigger a post animation out on the perimeter for those types of players.

Follow some the Greatest College Football players of All Time in NCAA Football 14
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-14-2009, 02:48 AM   #946
Rookie

BBallGuru's Arena

OVR: 4

I haven't had the time to read through this entire thread, so I figured I'd just post what I've thought of the demo after playing it for three days.

Starting off with "The Hangar". I really like this new feature; it's great to be able to mess around with a number of the league's stars to get a quick & easy feel for them. I've been reading a ton of complaints about skin tones in "The Hangar" being much too light, but I understand why EA has done this, and personally, I like/agree with what they did with it. Natural light reflecting off sweaty bodys? It's definitely going to make for a lighter appearance. My only gripe with this feature is, that while waiting for your game to load, you're limited to controlling Dwight Howard, and, well, lets be honest... nobody wants to use D12 in "The Hanger". You're limited to dunking, bricking ugly jumpshots released from your chin, and slow crossovers between the legs. Not fun.

I started out playing my first games on the "Pro" difficulty level. I wasn't doing too bad, squeaking out leads at the half most of the time, but the controls really seemed overwhelming almost in my first say, 3 or 4 games. (I've been playing a lot of 2K9 recently, so those were still engraved in my brain)

I decided to go back and watch Mike Wang's tutorials, as well as the couple of czarisodes to get a refresher of really how to do things in the game, then went back to playing.

Once I finally got the controls down, I really started to enjoy this game. I moved up to the "All-Star" difficulty was "Pro" was no longer challenging to me; and I'm no playing on "Superstar".

A couple of the things which I absolutely hated upon initially playing the game, were resolved once I figured out what I need to do or how I needed to do it. I didn't like not have a post-up button, but once I read how to post up, and the controls to perform certain offensive moves out of the post, I really liked it (Dare I say, preferred it).

The other thing I hated, was playing defense. I felt as though I was challenging shots well, but many were dropping. I figured out what I was doing wrong, and it turned out I was actually challenging the shots too late. As strange as it sounds, you actually somewhat have to get a feel of how the AI works when playing against it, then anticipate the shot in order to challenge it well. I don't think you can be successful playing a zone in this demo, as they're too many shooters that can hit open looks on both sides. (Fisher, Bryant, Artest, Odom, Nelson, Carter, Pietrus, Lewis)

All in all, once I figured out how to play this game correctly, I found it very much to be like basketball in real life, which is the first time I think I can say this about the Live series honestly.

I do think it is receiving an unfair amount of criticism, and I also feel way too many people are writing it off too early. It's not a game you can pick up and be successful right away on a higher difficulty level, and it's not something you can play up there if you don't have a solid understanding of the actual game of basketball.

I see some people saying "It's too easy", "Too many dunks", etc., then when asked if they've cranked up the difficulty level, they make some complaint on not being able to be successful on a higher level. Cue the "I get the ball poked out whenever I try to spin" excuse.

I think people should also be thinking about the final version of the game, not just this very limited demo. Imagine playing with your favourite team/player, with the Dynamic DNA being updated daily.

I can't wait to try out the final version in just over 3 weeks.

With all that said, I'm very interested to try out NBA 2K10, and see what it plays like.
Old 09-14-2009, 02:52 AM   #947
Banned

OVR: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBallGuru
I haven't had the time to read through this entire thread, so I figured I'd just post what I've thought of the demo after playing it for three days.

Starting off with "The Hangar". I really like this new feature; it's great to be able to mess around with a number of the league's stars to get a quick & easy feel for them. I've been reading a ton of complaints about skin tones in "The Hangar" being much too light, but I understand why EA has done this, and personally, I like/agree with what they did with it. Natural light reflecting off sweaty bodys? It's definitely going to make for a lighter appearance. My only gripe with this feature is, that while waiting for your game to load, you're limited to controlling Dwight Howard, and, well, lets be honest... nobody wants to use D12 in "The Hanger". You're limited to dunking, bricking ugly jumpshots released from your chin, and slow crossovers between the legs. Not fun.

I started out playing my first games on the "Pro" difficulty level. I wasn't doing too bad, squeaking out leads at the half most of the time, but the controls really seemed overwhelming almost in my first say, 3 or 4 games. (I've been playing a lot of 2K9 recently, so those were still engraved in my brain)

I decided to go back and watch Mike Wang's tutorials, as well as the couple of czarisodes to get a refresher of really how to do things in the game, then went back to playing.

Once I finally got the controls down, I really started to enjoy this game. I moved up to the "All-Star" difficulty was "Pro" was no longer challenging to me; and I'm no playing on "Superstar".

A couple of the things which I absolutely hated upon initially playing the game, were resolved once I figured out what I need to do or how I needed to do it. I didn't like not have a post-up button, but once I read how to post up, and the controls to perform certain offensive moves out of the post, I really liked it (Dare I say, preferred it).

The other thing I hated, was playing defense. I felt as though I was challenging shots well, but many were dropping. I figured out what I was doing wrong, and it turned out I was actually challenging the shots too late. As strange as it sounds, you actually somewhat have to get a feel of how the AI works when playing against it, then anticipate the shot in order to challenge it well. I don't think you can be successful playing a zone in this demo, as they're too many shooters that can hit open looks on both sides. (Fisher, Bryant, Artest, Odom, Nelson, Carter, Pietrus, Lewis)

All in all, once I figured out how to play this game correctly, I found it very much to be like basketball in real life, which is the first time I think I can say this about the Live series honestly.

I do think it is receiving an unfair amount of criticism, and I also feel way too many people are writing it off too early. It's not a game you can pick up and be successful right away on a higher difficulty level, and it's not something you can play up there if you don't have a solid understanding of the actual game of basketball.

I see some people saying "It's too easy", "Too many dunks", etc., then when asked if they've cranked up the difficulty level, they make some complaint on not being able to be successful on a higher level. Cue the "I get the ball poked out whenever I try to spin" excuse.

I think people should also be thinking about the final version of the game, not just this very limited demo. Imagine playing with your favourite team/player, with the Dynamic DNA being updated daily.

I can't wait to try out the final version in just over 3 weeks.

With all that said, I'm very interested to try out NBA 2K10, and see what it plays like.
i agree with every single last statement in your post
Old 09-14-2009, 02:53 AM   #948
Banned

OVR: 22
one thing i honestly want to know is the dna going to push 4th quarter logic as far as getting the ball to the best player type of deal?
Old 09-14-2009, 03:00 AM   #949
Rookie

OVR: 14
Nice write-up BBallGuru. Can't wait to put my hands on the final game.

Mike or any dev., any chance we can get a feedback on when to release the ball at The Hangar? I know you can release it at different times and still be succefull (don't get me wrong, I still think shooting the rock is the highlight of the package) but I wanted to be able to know the player's prefered sweet spot to release it. I'm having a hard time getting CP3's shot down.
Old 09-14-2009, 03:15 AM   #950
Banned

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by 23
In the elbow area, ft line area, and on the baseline, it happens maybe not that often but its more of a thing of position rather than just willy nilly posting guys up near the 3pt line or whatever. That wasnt my thoughts and I'd think that to be quite silly.

Vince posts up at the ft line and launches his patented high arc hangtime fadeaway. Those are the kinds of shots im talking about.

That said im not sure or not there will be a happy medium for guys but there is never anything wrong with having options. Hopefully we figure this thing out together by the time retail ships
When the games become head 2 head as opposed to playing against the cpu...I think posting up will not be a problem...In fact I posted a few times vs the Cpu near the FT line and near the 3pt line in the corner...So its in there...The players just have to engage properly...and isnt that really when a post up happens...when the defender engages???...I don't think too many players simply decide to turn their back while they are on the perimeter to post up...Often the defense forces it
Old 09-14-2009, 03:20 AM   #951
Banned

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by authentic24
posting up on the perimeter in past lives caused cheesing with goto moves which made the past ones unrealistic, now you guys want sim but you want to be able to post up anywhere on the court when u have to work your way into post position irl if ur going to that spot off the dribble. Now if they can make it so that you can't post up outside of natural post positions on the court then I'll be fine with the button add I just think the way it is now makes for a much better sim game... this is why I say get used to the controls before stating that something is broken because I post when ever I get that position on the court to do so. Really learn the game because some of these suggestions will make the game a cheese fest and unrealistic.
Exactly...the controls are fine...I don't want to see anything change until we all get the retail game and play it for a few months...I'm loving the demo and the control of the game. There is a learning curve and I like that about this game. The contextual situations are based on Basketball logic so for me that's more control because I have to use my Basketball IQ to get the animation or situation I want.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-14-2009, 03:22 AM   #952
Rookie

OVR: 14
Just did a behind the back pass fake while getting to the rack for a lay up with Kobe at The Hangar (a la Jason Kidd in his rookie season against Sir Charles).

Great animation!

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA Live »