Home

MLB '09: The Show Demo Impressions

This is a discussion on MLB '09: The Show Demo Impressions within the MLB The Show Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 02-07-2009, 09:19 PM   #49
MVP

OVR: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by spitoon
Actually, I don't think it has anything to do with Sony being a sponsor of MLB.

The license that 2K has is an "exclusive 3rd party license". This means that 2K is the only company that can make an MLB licensed game for all consoles (and PC). The agreement still allows 'First Party Development', hence Sony can make a game for Sony Consoles (PS3, PS2, PSP). If they chose to, Micro$oft could make an MLB game for the 360, Nintendo could make a game for Wii etc...but the Micro$oft game couldn't be ported to PS3 or Wii or vise versa.

Now, Sony could make "The Show" for 360 (and Wii) if they didn't use any MLB stadiums or players. They'd have to use fictional characters and locations, or at least players that aren't part of the MLBPA (That was how EA was able to release the NCAA baseball title).
Yes, I understand the exclusive license that 2K has for 3rd party baseball games. I was just thinking (hoping?) that IF 2K ever gave up the license, then Sony would make The Show for the 360. For some reason, I thought that those games that 989 made for PS2 (Gameday, MLB, etc.) were also made for the XBox. That's what got me hoping.

Oh well...
Old 02-08-2009, 10:31 AM   #50
Rookie

OVR: 0
Now that I've played the demo 7-8x I've really got to say that the NEW pitching meter is pretty decent. In years past it was pretty easy to go full meter and paint the corners, not this year. I do notice that if you leave the pitch up in the zone or if it gets to much of the plate....WHACK!!! Just like the real deal.

The pitches seem to come at you a little quicker, may be some of the batting timing some posts are referring too. Otherwise looks a little more polished graphically than 08, not sure how that's possible as 08 has the WOW factor still.

In the games I played here were the big things that I noticed. When hitting as a power hitter and taking a power swing it seems the fielders drop the ball a litle too much. I like the new addition of this, just hope it's cleaned up a little come release day.

I don't see a lot of new from 08 with the exception of some cutscnes. My favorite to date has to be as the Phillies I was turning a double play. Rollins to Utley and Utley drops the ball on the transition to 1st. The ump called the runner OUT and Mgr of the Rays JOE MADDON comes out for a heated argument. Was just really cool!!! Feel you should have a little more control on what you want to argue and how much.

I also wish you could get a right handed pitcher in the game, did the bean the hitter thing but you cannot get ejected on the demo. There is some pushing and shoving amongst the catcher and batter but nothing to overly get excited about.

The celebrations at game end are better but again leaves me wanting a little more. Top finish to date was as the Phillies down 3-2 with one out, runner at 3rd and 2nd. Ryan Howard ripped one down the 1st base line to win it. Upon scoring winning run the cut scene went immediately to Howard, then to the runner as players came out of the dugout.

I don't want to wish life away, but man I wish it was March 3rd already, ugh!!!
Old 02-08-2009, 11:17 AM   #51
Banned

OVR: 26
Re: MLB '09: The Show Demo Impressions

Quote:
Originally Posted by nefanman
I don't want to wish life away, but man I wish it was March 3rd already
Ha-ha! Great line.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-08-2009, 07:17 PM   #52
Banned

OVR: 5
I noticed a couple things wrong when I played the demo. 1st was the hitting. I routinley missed a fastball down the middle of the plate. Now I was 256-42 in my online career in 08 I shouldnb't be mising meat balls like that. They need to fix that before the release. 2nd and I think this could cause a huge problem potentially online.as many of you know there was a pick off glitch in previous versons of the game. Although this isn't a pick off glitch it is simular. Because you now have the ability to quick throw (without it taking forever like in years past) If you have a runner on 1st and hit a line drive to the 2nd baseman all he has to do is push "O" just before he catches it to quick throw, and the runner on 1st will lolly gag his way back only if he is let's say 1 or 2 steps off and it will be an out 99% of the time. The 3rd actually gave me flash backs to 06 the show. And anyone who has played that one knows what I'm talking about. If your running at the ball it will just skip on by to the wall.
Old 02-08-2009, 07:24 PM   #53
Banned

OVR: 5
OH and BTW my name on this site is the same as my PSN. so anyone who wants a good a$$ whooping on 09 the show hit me up.
Old 02-08-2009, 07:29 PM   #54
Pro

spitoon's Arena

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by nefanman
I don't want to wish life away, but man I wish it was March 3rd already
Quote:
Originally Posted by baa7
Ha-ha! Great line.
Hey, somebody is stealing my material (Feb 1st).
Old 02-08-2009, 09:02 PM   #55
Banned

OVR: 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by PYA-MUSTANG86
I noticed a couple things wrong when I played the demo. 1st was the hitting. I routinley missed a fastball down the middle of the plate. Now I was 256-42 in my online career in 08 I shouldnb't be mising meat balls like that. They need to fix that before the release. 2nd and I think this could cause a huge problem potentially online.as many of you know there was a pick off glitch in previous versons of the game. Although this isn't a pick off glitch it is simular. Because you now have the ability to quick throw (without it taking forever like in years past) If you have a runner on 1st and hit a line drive to the 2nd baseman all he has to do is push "O" just before he catches it to quick throw, and the runner on 1st will lolly gag his way back only if he is let's say 1 or 2 steps off and it will be an out 99% of the time. The 3rd actually gave me flash backs to 06 the show. And anyone who has played that one knows what I'm talking about. If your running at the ball it will just skip on by to the wall.
This is funny. So becasue you missed it something is wrong with the game. Maybe you should take advantage of the Batting practice mode.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-08-2009, 09:08 PM   #56
Rookie

OVR: 7

I saw a great "animation" today. With runners at first and third, I grounded the ball to second and into a double-play. I forgot to send the guy at third (Rollins) home thinking he was going on contact.

He stayed instead of scoring, and while the broadcast team talked about it, he was getting yelled at by the third base coach who was pretty upset. Then Rollins put his head down.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen »