Home

MLB '09: The Show Demo Impressions

This is a discussion on MLB '09: The Show Demo Impressions within the MLB The Show Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 02-07-2009, 11:02 AM   #41
Rookie

Corona-Wolf's Arena

OVR: 2
Re: MLB '09: The Show Demo Impressions

I am pretty sure it would not be allowed on the 360 since 2k owns the rights to MLB games. Only reason they can still make it now is because Sony is a sponsor of major league baseball.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-07-2009, 11:14 AM   #42
Rookie

OVR: 3
Wow!! Up there with NHL 09 graphically and simulation. Some observances ( minimal stuff ) I noticed was the fans walking behind home plate walk to the bottom of the aisle, turn around and go back up one after another. Also there was a moment when the announcer was showing a graphic for the top innings pitched pitchers from the previous season and Cole wasn't on the list , Also the year said 2007. I understand this isn't a finished product but just thought it was worth mentioning in case of overlooks. Can't wait for March 3!! Great Job!!!
Old 02-07-2009, 11:57 AM   #43
*ll St*r

Knight165's Arena

OVR: 56

Once again...
Very nice article.
Good work! ...and thanks!

M.K.
Knight165
Old 02-07-2009, 12:43 PM   #44
Pro

spitoon's Arena

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corona-Wolf
I am pretty sure it would not be allowed on the 360 since 2k owns the rights to MLB games. Only reason they can still make it now is because Sony is a sponsor of major league baseball.
Actually, I don't think it has anything to do with Sony being a sponsor of MLB.

The license that 2K has is an "exclusive 3rd party license". This means that 2K is the only company that can make an MLB licensed game for all consoles (and PC). The agreement still allows 'First Party Development', hence Sony can make a game for Sony Consoles (PS3, PS2, PSP). If they chose to, Micro$oft could make an MLB game for the 360, Nintendo could make a game for Wii etc...but the Micro$oft game couldn't be ported to PS3 or Wii or vise versa.

Now, Sony could make "The Show" for 360 (and Wii) if they didn't use any MLB stadiums or players. They'd have to use fictional characters and locations, or at least players that aren't part of the MLBPA (That was how EA was able to release the NCAA baseball title).

Last edited by spitoon; 02-07-2009 at 12:50 PM.
Old 02-07-2009, 12:50 PM   #45
Banned

OVR: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by sooner111
Up there with NHL 09 (#1) graphically and (#2) simulation.
#1 tells me you have a good eye, and I concur. #2 tells me you never watch real hockey. NHL 09 doesn't resemble the actual sport.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-07-2009, 12:56 PM   #46
Pro

spitoon's Arena

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by baa7
#1 tells me you have a good eye, and I concur. #2 tells me you never watch real hockey. NHL 09 doesn't resemble the actual sport.
Getting a little off topic here, but I have to agree with baa7 on the NHL game. While it is "pretty", and a very good "game" (probably the best to date), it's not a very good representation of the real life game.

But you know what? I'm okay with that for some reason. I can't explain it, but I'm much more forgiving on the NHL title than I am on the MLB game...which is counter-intuitive since (being Canadian) I'm much more familiar with hockey. The NHL game is just that "a game", but the MLB title is more of 'an experience'.

I'm rambling. Time for more coffee
Old 02-07-2009, 01:32 PM   #47
Rookie

buzzguy's Arena

OVR: 12
I just skimmed the article, but The Show looks solid again this year. Don't know if it'll be "the best sports game in some time", but I'm sure it will be decent.
Please, 2K, make MLB 2K9 decent, so we 360 gamers don't feel so bad after The Show comes-out!
Old 02-07-2009, 02:10 PM   #48
Banned

OVR: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by spitoon
But you know what? I'm okay with that for some reason. I can't explain it, but I'm much more forgiving on the NHL title than I am on the MLB game...which is counter-intuitive since (being Canadian) I'm much more familiar with hockey. The NHL game is just that "a game", but the MLB title is more of 'an experience'.

I'm rambling. Time for more coffee
I found my Canuck doppleganger! I feel the same way. NHL I forgive. But I could never play a baseball game that arcade.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen »