Home

Major League Baseball 2K9 First Look Preview

This is a discussion on Major League Baseball 2K9 First Look Preview within the MLB 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MLB 2K
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?

Old 01-19-2009, 01:19 PM   #57
Rookie

buzzguy's Arena

OVR: 12
Yikes...I'm hoping this "reboot" of the franchise will fair better than NHL 2K9. That game got a new developer, and it shows. Not a bad game, but not up to the same level as NHL 09.
Old 01-19-2009, 04:21 PM   #58
Banned

OVR: 28
Re: Major League Baseball 2K9 First Look Preview

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzguy
Yikes...I'm hoping this "reboot" of the franchise will fair better than NHL 2K9. That game got a new developer, and it shows. Not a bad game, but not up to the same level as NHL 09.
Thats what happens when a new developer gets a game though. They kind of have to start over. I dont know how much they started over with MLB2K9 we will soon find out i am sure and stuff is going to be dropping very very very soon.

NHL wasnt a bad game, but there was just not enough time to get in everything they wanted as 1 year cycles dont allow that. I am also pretty sure that the MLB team is alot better then the NHL team for obvious reasons.
Old 01-19-2009, 07:28 PM   #59
Banned

OVR: 17
The complete lack of support 2K sports showed NHL2K9 make this a rental for me. I no longer trust nor believe anything they say, I feel the same way about EA it show me time after 15 years. I really don't think it's to much to ask for feedback from a developer, or why after all these years roster updates can't be fix or even address. If a game goes up in price we have the right to at least expect the game to preform as told.
Old 01-20-2009, 01:17 PM   #60
Banned

OVR: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaverickisBack
I was a 2K guy ****** back to the days of WSB on the Saturn. Last year, as soon as I heard about the feature i realized the game was going to suck...i bought a PS3(before 2k even came out) and got the Show...best investment. I was so confident 2K was going to suck I bought a PS3 before the launch.

1. If 2K sucks again I expect PS3 sales to increase
2. No matter what 2K says you can never quite believe them
3. This is make or break for 2K...remember 3 years ago, Brinkman said that it would be a 3 year project...well this is the final project

All that being said...if that preview list was posted last year I would have waited til launch to get a PS3.

I am marginally hopeful. For me it was the HORRIBLE hitting that chased me from the 2K series. Most other things could be fixed via sliders. It sounds like they might have improved the hitting. THe problem for them with me is that...I am already addicted to the Show. So they have competition for me. Also...either way I am getting the Show...so they would be my second baseball game if anything...for me to get a 2nd baseball game...means that there are no other good games out. It may be a case of too little too late.

I am hopeful for these guys to final make a decent game instead of a piss poor game. But I will be too busy playing a great game in the Show. And evenn if the Show 09 sucks..i might just update the SHow 08 roster and play
The hitting wasn't bad at all, especially with batter's eye(which I don't think many used)..

PS3 sales will have negligible change due to either of these series performances.....

Brinkman is no longer on the game, so his 3 year plan is not in effect per se...Although I think 2k does need pretty good showing..

I think with VC at the helm, the results will be pleasing (if not spectacular in their first effort)
Old 01-20-2009, 01:20 PM   #61
Banned

OVR: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzguy
It was an extremely short cycle for 2k on Hockey this year..Not a full year .Expect better A.I next year..I also recommend playing 2k Hockey on Action Cam for more of an adrenaline rush..Zoom 3, Height 5

They will have a full year for Baseball, so no excuses 2k
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-20-2009, 02:32 PM   #62
Rookie

kromo50's Arena

OVR: 11
They main problem with the game is the sliders. It takes me 2 months to get a real feel for the game and fixing the sliders. I only play these game against my bro or my buddies so i want the sliders setup right out of the box. I hope to god this game is good come VC do your magic
Old 01-20-2009, 04:04 PM   #63
MVP

Trevytrev11's Arena

OVR: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by kromo50
I only play these game against my bro or my buddies so i want the sliders setup right out of the box.
1) 2K has to do a better job out of the box as far as getting things close to realistic for an average person of each skill level.

2) It will never be right for everyone out of the box because everyones skill is different.

The problem is that because they do such a bad job on #1, sliders that should be used for #2 (minor tweaking) instead of major re-programming.

On a high level, say All Star or Legend, why should anyone have to change the speed of fielders or baserunners? This speed if realistic to begin with, should never have to be tweaked. But because of other factors (hit variation, scaling of the ball parks, etc.) it has to be fixed. In reality, it should be right and any changes should only have to be to a select group of players that were given the wrong speed rating.

The same goes with errors, a player who makes 20 errors a season, should be programmed so that on average, he makes about 15-25 errors a season or about one error every 8 or so games. It shouldn't be that everyone makes a ton of errors or nobody makes an error. A good fielder should be noticabley better than a bad one.
Old 01-20-2009, 04:33 PM   #64
Rookie

buzzguy's Arena

OVR: 12

^^^All good points.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MLB 2K »