Home

NCAA Basketball 09 Impressions

This is a discussion on NCAA Basketball 09 Impressions within the NCAA Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > Other Basketball Games > NCAA Basketball
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 12-09-2008, 11:12 AM   #537
MVP

K_rob11's Arena

OVR: 21
Re: NCAA Basketball 09 Impressions

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehh
With the crossover moves in this game you need to have a lot more space than in 2K. You can't bust out an isomotion move when the defender is all up your grill which I like. No one IRL does a cross over when the guy is right up on you. Jab step or do the explosion move out of the triple threat and you'll be fine.
Great point...and I agree 100%! You have to create some space between you and the defender (just like I teach my elementary team in real life). Jab step, dribble in then back out, etc.
Old 12-09-2008, 08:08 PM   #538
Banned

OVR: 1

I broke down and got this game as well and figured I'd give my impression since I was here. I'm mainly on gameplay and graphics and have not delved into Dynasty yet so this is what I think.

For some reason this game reminds me of an early version of NCAA football before EA added all the bells and whistles. The core game is here but it's definately rough around the edges. The presentation could use some work as far as overlays. The game in general just needs to be spiced up a bit although what is here is well done. The transitions also need to be smoothed out as far as the cd accessing and sound popping in and out. It kind of takes you out of the atmosphere which is really important in a college game.

I'm not sold on the tempo thing. It's a nice idea but I don't know if it's implemented right. Half court teams just hang onto the ball sometimes and stand there which kind of disrupts the flow of the game in a somewhat unrealistic fashion. I'm also wondering if EA was false advertising when they said you would start missing shots if you aren't playing your tempo because I haven't seen it. It's nice to see teams play differently at least but this seems kind of thrown together.

The control is pretty solid but limited. I don't like how you can't slide by players and they kind of stick to you when trying to get by them. The spacing is nice when moving away but when trying to get around a defender I don't get that same feeling of slipping by. I also don't like how you can pretty much turn your PF into Dwayne Wade if you want.

Other than that cool game. I can see myself having fun with it, and I'm glad i picked it up. I know most of this sounds bad, but I really do see what EA is doing here and it seems like they have a nice foundation to build on in years to come and hopefully will be the best around. Compared to 2k8 it's much more next gen as far as footplanting and control and graphics already.. Just needs to be spiced up a bit as far as presentation and animations and stuff. I love NCAA football so I'm hoping EA can make a comparable college basketball game here.

Last edited by fut134; 12-09-2008 at 08:19 PM.
Old 12-10-2008, 12:48 AM   #539
Banned

arichzona's Arena

OVR: 12

Thanks for your help guys. As stated, I want to make this game work for me. It is tough to get rid of that 2k control scheme in my head but it is coming. It is definitely getting closer to a "buy" for me.

The whole "in air" charges bug the s*#t out of me but every game has it's faults.
Old 12-10-2008, 12:50 AM   #540
CEO - BSG Network

Behindshadows's Arena

OVR: 50

Good post!!!

One thing I can't stand about the tempo thing, is that the announcers talk about it too damn much!!!

I mean how many times can you speak of the damn tempo! We get it! It's in the game...lol

But as far as the tempo itself, great feature! It really does balance out and shows different team style and playsets I love that about this game. Gameplay is balanced, Up-Tempo, Slowed etc. And you can see it while playing it. CPU makes great choices, instead of SUPER PG and unstoppable Centers. They actually move the ball around and run plays to get open looks.

I love the game just for that alone!
Old 12-10-2008, 02:16 AM   #541
Rookie

Jason2112's Arena

OVR: 19

Off-ball movement is what sets this game apart from any other I've played. In college basketball off-ball movement is critical, but no so much in the NBA because it's more spread out because of the influence of the deep 3 point arc and skillful guard play. This game really looks and feels like a true presentation of the college game and it gets the pace right. I do agree that the announcing is horrible and not because of my disregard for Neslar or Vitale, but the fact that ALL THEY WANT TO TALK ABOUT IS THE TEMPO! I've always felt like the commentators were ACTING when they recorded their lines on video games, and I just want them to BE THEMSELVES! I think they read the lines or something and it comes off as BAD ACTING. This game is definitely rocking right now though. I am having soooo much fun with my dynasty. I've been blogging about every game if anyone wants to check out my season. I've had crazy real results too.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-11-2008, 03:59 PM   #542
MVP

DrUrsus's Arena

OVR: 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason2112
Off-ball movement is what sets this game apart from any other I've played. In college basketball off-ball movement is critical, but no so much in the NBA because it's more spread out because of the influence of the deep 3 point arc and skillful guard play. This game really looks and feels like a true presentation of the college game and it gets the pace right. I do agree that the announcing is horrible and not because of my disregard for Neslar or Vitale, but the fact that ALL THEY WANT TO TALK ABOUT IS THE TEMPO! I've always felt like the commentators were ACTING when they recorded their lines on video games, and I just want them to BE THEMSELVES! I think they read the lines or something and it comes off as BAD ACTING. This game is definitely rocking right now though. I am having soooo much fun with my dynasty. I've been blogging about every game if anyone wants to check out my season. I've had crazy real results too.
Yea, I agree with all of your points, except I actually am one of those weirdos who LIKES Vitale, lol.
Old 12-11-2008, 04:15 PM   #543
All Star

crques's Arena

OVR: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrUrsus
Yea, I agree with all of your points, except I actually am one of those weirdos who LIKES Vitale, lol.
Vitale gets on my nerves from time to time, especially when he's raving about the Dookies, but college basketball just isn't college basketball without him. I do hope they improve his commentary on next year's game though.
Old 12-11-2008, 04:20 PM   #544
Rookie

ColProd's Arena

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by crques
Vitale gets on my nerves from time to time, especially when he's raving about the Dookies, but college basketball just isn't college basketball without him. I do hope they improve his commentary on next year's game though.
It didn't improve from last years game...in fact, I would say it's worse than last years! At least as far as the variation in lines go. So yea, don't get your hopes up.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > Other Basketball Games > NCAA Basketball »