Home

NBA Live 09 Patch Released, Impressions Here

This is a discussion on NBA Live 09 Patch Released, Impressions Here within the NBA Live forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA Live
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 11-29-2008, 08:42 PM   #81
Banned

OVR: 12
Re: NBA Live 09 Patch Released, Impressions Here

My Impressions are Strictly for an ONLINE PLAY PERSPECTIVE:

1. Rebounding - very good and definitely varied. Improved from the patch.

2. Defense in General - Much improved. Shots are contested much quicker and a nice amount of blocks...Help defense is solid and the contested shots lead to more fouls...There is a downside to this that I will address in #3.

Big men still seem to have trouble getting back on D as there will be spurts and exploitation by users simply inbounding quickly and throwing additional pass to a C or PF that has routinely beaten his defender down Court. It amazes me how Eddie Curry beats Amarie Stoudamire

Baseline D - This was another exploit from Live 2008 that appears to have crept back into this version. The patch did nothing to Baseline D because its likely there is limited knowledge about the baseline problem...Now I will say you can D up the baseline manually but often its hard to almost impossible to stop when someone is dead set on abusing it...Maybe this is more of a cheese vs No Cheese thing because personally I might go to the baseline within the flow of the game but I will not go to that tactic 25 times in a row or even two times in a row. I tend to want to run a play or set screens.

3. Free Throws (FT's) - Probably the lowest point of this game that has a snowball affect on strategic elements of the game. What I mean is pre-patch FT's were already way too easy. Now Post Patch its almost ridiculously easy. And I mean easy in the WORST way possible because now its almost impossible for anyone to miss a FT. Shaq can now play down the stretch with no fear of him touching the rock or getting HACKA SHAQ'D...This unfortunately destroys an element of strategy in close games where FT's may play a role.

ON the other end of the spectrum a contested shot resulting in 2 FT's is now a complete waste of time even watching the animation because there is no way anyone is missing a FT...Hell..I even tried closing my eyes and I still hit both FT's.

ONLINE ADJUSTMENTS: Why and or how do I get to my defensive slider adjustments???...They never show up until the 3rd or 4th quarter...Is there a way to get to them at will or do I simply have to wait until they magically appear???..help a brutha out someone

LAG & LATENCY - For me..next to none...almost every game I play is butter smooth...No I'm running with Verizon FiOS and that may have something to do with it but it seems to me that EA has finally solved the online connectivity issues that once plagued all of their next gen titles. The last 2 years of Online play for EA games has been stellar/much improved.

OVERALL GAMEPLAY - Pretty solid...outside of the FT's I'm pretty darn happy with this game..A patch to fix the FT's and I'd have to say LIVE is well on its way to the top..Of course the other criticisms by others are valid as well...LIVE is a decent game this year...better than average but it still has a ways to go...No doubt this iteration of LIVE leaves any pure hoop fan hopeful for the future. But just like many have said I was expecting this game in 2006...I'm also growing a little tired of the ole EA slogan we sell ourselves "Wait until next year"

Last edited by dat swag; 11-29-2008 at 08:47 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-30-2008, 11:10 AM   #82
TOMBA IS ONLINE

Tomba's Arena

OVR: 65

NBA live post patch impressions.

The game feels even more solid. but it's still rooted in limited animation sets along with some bad animation fluidity at times.

defense DOES feel right though. with the existing engine they've been able to do a slight tweak to the urgency in which players now defend which is nice.

the crowd still looks like it's at a different framerate though even after a install to HD? thats very annoying to see the sidel;ines etc just kinda stutter...

Arms still don't go up when trying to defned though. say i want to immediately put my hands up I can not. BUT the defense in general looks like they pressure the ball handler much much more...

All in all... simpley better tuned/refined with what they originally released.

NBA Live 09 is a really great game. It has all the elements of basic NBA basketball and a bit of the EA flare that has been lost from EA titles for awhile. Arguebly the best EAsports title this year.
Old 11-30-2008, 01:57 PM   #83
bls
MVP

bls's Arena

OVR: 8

Upon further inspection I believe the defensive matchups does work, or it's works randomly. Just played a Lakers bandwagoner and made a switch to put Prince on Bryant and much to my surprise...he was actually guarding him the whole game.Now mind you the guy I was playing didn't move him from the 2 spot so I'm not sure how the matchups is effected if he would have put him in another position. But after that adjustment it was completely lockdown from there on out. I absolutely love the defensive pressure given from a good defender.

After the game, Bryant 3-18 13pts.

Side note, EA you need to put in over the back calls for 2010. Too many people are able to simply jump over the the guy in front of them for the rebound every time. It's almost as it getting a rebound from the behind is the best position to be in. Fix this with over the back calls so users won't simply be able to just keep pressing the jump button to get rebounds. It would really be more of a time based function with a risk and reward factor.
Old 11-30-2008, 03:30 PM   #84
Rookie

OVR: 2

The patch is out for xbox 360. Am I right???

On which position should I put the shooting options to get the best FG%???
I mean short-,middle- and long-distance shots.
Old 11-30-2008, 11:37 PM   #85
MVP

bigball12's Arena

OVR: 12

I absolutely hate this patch! Coming form a strictly online gamer, this is really low! The missed layups are absolutely killing OTP mode. I have guys (including myself) who just get so, so fed up with easy, easy layups getting missed. Sometime as many as 4 in a row. Non contested, no contact etc. It's ridiculous. And as far as the FT's go, could they of made them any easier? There is no difference now shooting with Shaq or Ray Allen or Nash etc. It's pointless, 2 free points at the line. With the exception of the new blocking animation which is a welcomed feature, the rest of this patch gets a huge, huge thumbs down!!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-01-2008, 12:02 AM   #86
Pro

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by dat swag
My Impressions are Strictly for an ONLINE PLAY PERSPECTIVE:

1. Rebounding - very good and definitely varied. Improved from the patch.

2. Defense in General - Much improved. Shots are contested much quicker and a nice amount of blocks...Help defense is solid and the contested shots lead to more fouls...There is a downside to this that I will address in #3.

Big men still seem to have trouble getting back on D as there will be spurts and exploitation by users simply inbounding quickly and throwing additional pass to a C or PF that has routinely beaten his defender down Court. It amazes me how Eddie Curry beats Amarie Stoudamire

Baseline D - This was another exploit from Live 2008 that appears to have crept back into this version. The patch did nothing to Baseline D because its likely there is limited knowledge about the baseline problem...Now I will say you can D up the baseline manually but often its hard to almost impossible to stop when someone is dead set on abusing it...Maybe this is more of a cheese vs No Cheese thing because personally I might go to the baseline within the flow of the game but I will not go to that tactic 25 times in a row or even two times in a row. I tend to want to run a play or set screens.

3. Free Throws (FT's) - Probably the lowest point of this game that has a snowball affect on strategic elements of the game. What I mean is pre-patch FT's were already way too easy. Now Post Patch its almost ridiculously easy. And I mean easy in the WORST way possible because now its almost impossible for anyone to miss a FT. Shaq can now play down the stretch with no fear of him touching the rock or getting HACKA SHAQ'D...This unfortunately destroys an element of strategy in close games where FT's may play a role.

ON the other end of the spectrum a contested shot resulting in 2 FT's is now a complete waste of time even watching the animation because there is no way anyone is missing a FT...Hell..I even tried closing my eyes and I still hit both FT's.

ONLINE ADJUSTMENTS: Why and or how do I get to my defensive slider adjustments???...They never show up until the 3rd or 4th quarter...Is there a way to get to them at will or do I simply have to wait until they magically appear???..help a brutha out someone

LAG & LATENCY - For me..next to none...almost every game I play is butter smooth...No I'm running with Verizon FiOS and that may have something to do with it but it seems to me that EA has finally solved the online connectivity issues that once plagued all of their next gen titles. The last 2 years of Online play for EA games has been stellar/much improved.

OVERALL GAMEPLAY - Pretty solid...outside of the FT's I'm pretty darn happy with this game..A patch to fix the FT's and I'd have to say LIVE is well on its way to the top..Of course the other criticisms by others are valid as well...LIVE is a decent game this year...better than average but it still has a ways to go...No doubt this iteration of LIVE leaves any pure hoop fan hopeful for the future. But just like many have said I was expecting this game in 2006...I'm also growing a little tired of the ole EA slogan we sell ourselves "Wait until next year"
The game is much more playable now. The pace is faster and feels less resistant of player movements. The fast breaks are still there. Mostly an AI flaw. I scored 26 points in the 1st quarter! Thats a ton for me. Shots in the paint seem still too high. The person shot 60% mostly just doing fastbreaks, running baseline and just jamming the x button. FT are wayyy to easy and should be changed asap. Overall i think this has improved the online play experience and the game in general.
Old 12-01-2008, 01:07 AM   #87
Banned

OVR: 14

I'm really enjoying this game post patch and am having a hard time finding issues. I've been playing online and am not having trouble getting back now. Not to be an *** but i notice the people i'm playing just dont get back when i am able to. People cant fast break against me. I'm a very good defensive player though. It's really not that hard though, just focus on getting back on defense and guarding agains thtat stuff and you will be fine. Peopel cant do the big man fast break against me at all or that baseline stuff since they patched this game. I'm having some very realistic games online.

I really am loving this game post patch though. It's an awesome game. I am completely ina zone with this game at this point, have all the nuances figured out and it's a surreal experience. I love it.

Last edited by Walker8; 12-01-2008 at 01:14 AM.
Old 12-01-2008, 01:51 AM   #88
Banned

Court_vision's Arena

OVR: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walker8
I'm really enjoying this game post patch and am having a hard time finding issues. I've been playing online and am not having trouble getting back now. Not to be an *** but i notice the people i'm playing just dont get back when i am able to. People cant fast break against me. I'm a very good defensive player though. It's really not that hard though, just focus on getting back on defense and guarding agains thtat stuff and you will be fine. Peopel cant do the big man fast break against me at all or that baseline stuff since they patched this game. I'm having some very realistic games online.

I really am loving this game post patch though. It's an awesome game. I am completely ina zone with this game at this point, have all the nuances figured out and it's a surreal experience. I love it.

Good post. I am with you. Really enjoying it.

Both of us have thrown some tough questions at them...but the fellas there haven't backed away and they've definitely improved it post patch + with the new ratings.

I've not enjoyed a game this much since Inside Drive.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA Live »