Home

NCAA Basetball 09 Demo Available, Impressions Here

This is a discussion on NCAA Basetball 09 Demo Available, Impressions Here within the NCAA Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > Other Basketball Games > NCAA Basketball
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?

Old 11-07-2008, 05:29 PM   #169
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

OVR: 62
Re: NCAA Basetball 09 Demo Available, Impressions Here

just had a funny play happen. I was backing down Patterson and he flopped but no call so I took it to the rim hard only to have to miss the dunk and have the ball shoot out to a player at my 3pt line and I drained the 3.

I miss the old days of Operation Sports :(

Louisville Cardinals/St.Louis Cardinals
Old 11-07-2008, 05:38 PM   #170
Pro

biglami's Arena

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave374
Just because you don't like it doesn't mean others shouldn't.

I'm not fond of fat chicks, but if someone likes a little more lovin', all the power to him.
Robert Plant (lead singer of Led Zeppelin) said that a "Big leg woman aint got no soul"...thus leading me to think he wanst a big fan of fat chix...and he is my mentor in the ways of lust...so I must disagree and say that if a guy like fat chix, then he loses credibility in all matter, lol j/k...his credibility is only lost in matters of judging female talent...I like skinny chix myself

but yea I didnt see this thread and posted my impression in the main forum...I think I lije the game, but I dont know, I hope the grafix get upgraded when the full copy comes out...gameplaywise tho it seems simple, which is ok, considering how overly canned and complicated 2K has gotten (and obviously isnt even existing in CH 09)
Old 11-07-2008, 05:55 PM   #171
Rookie

OVR: 6

Played another game as UT @ home against Kentucky. Played on All-Conference difficulty and I forced waaaayyy too many turnovers. I started out and stayed in the 2-3 zone for the entire game. I forced 12 turnovers, half stolen passes half steals, and won 24-10.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-07-2008, 06:48 PM   #172
Pro

bowld's Arena

OVR: 9

My one big gripe so far is when backing down in the post an offensive foul gets called almost every time. i hope i can adjust sliders to cut down on this
Old 11-07-2008, 06:50 PM   #173
Pro

whittleboy615's Arena

OVR: 16

I enjoyed the demo a lot. This game is maybe 10x better than MM08 was for PS3, and I can't wait to own the full retail version. Here's my random first impressions.

Good:
  • Bench and player cutscenes (players subbing in)
  • University seals at Play Now screen
  • All the new features (Game tempo, Quickstrike ball-handling especially)
  • Improved block and dunk animations
  • Ability icons are back
  • Stadium signs and better refs, fans, cameramen, and cheerleaders
  • The full court press is a lot of fun
  • Trapping animations are much much improved
  • Guys don't run out of bounds as easy
  • CPU jumping passing lanes and waving arms on defense
  • Crowd much more reactive and intelligent
  • Everyone catches the ball in triple threat
  • End half horn added
  • "Beep, beep" countdown added with 5 sec left in a half
  • Graphics in general are fantastic
  • Campus scenery background is pretty
  • Loud "woosh" noise after made Home team free throws
  • Great responsiveness with kickout 3-pointers
  • Getting ball in quick from inbounds to push ahead
  • 5 second calls are actually possible. In MM08, the CPU would push off at 4.8 sec every time.
  • Floor spacing is great
  • Classic teams + Chuck Taylors! Jordan has massive hops.
  • Transition game AI improved: players explode toward basket
  • CPU is much harder to beat now. MM08 was way too easy on the hardest difficulty level.
  • The loading screen is fun. It let's you practice quickstrike moves.
  • More mini games could be added like Hotspot, 1-on-1, 3pt challenge, etc. along with user-controlled two-line layups during warmups

Bad:
  • Players still go backcourt too much. The CPU can be bringing the ball up court with minimal pressure and they will make a pass to a teammate straddling the halfcourt line and he gets called. It also happens a lot when the CPU's teammates run to midcourt to help break the press. They will get a pass and then pivot back over the line when they get in triple-threat after catching the ball.
  • Tennessee's outside men's 3-pt line should be orange
  • Directional passing with the analog stick is terribly inaccurate.
  • Players need better muscle definition. The beanpole legs on the classic team players look especially too skinny.
  • Maybe I just haven't figured it out, but the tipoff is really difficult to win. I'm confused about when I'm supposed to press the triangle button.
  • Arrows that demonstrate how to run the plays should be visible when you press R3 or some other button. They had this feature in last gen, and it was very helpful in learning new plays.
  • The user doesn't seem aggressive enough when I try to steal ball out of air. The CPU has much better "snatching" ability than the user does.
  • Sometimes when trapping, the CPU will pick up their dribble before halfcourt and then throw a fullcourt pass to a teammate and the defense will just stand behind the player instead of stepping in front of him for an easy fastbreak steal.
  • The CPU's defense is very good at snatching bad passes like that though.
  • Player attributes should be visible at the staring lineup select screen in Play Now
  • UNC fans chanted "OOOOHHH" one time while the Tarheels were on offense.
  • The free throw light-up system is too small and the colors on the backboard do not provide enough contrast. I had a complaint on EA's Live boards from a red/green color-blind guy who couldn't make any free throws with this system.
  • Offesnive fouls can be confusing because the announcer does not acknowledge them and there are no corresponding cutscenes of the refs or players. I thought I had an And1 a few times, but the next thing I knew the CPU was inbounding the ball, and I was scrambling to get in my press.
  • The CPU needs the presence of mind to call timeout before getting a 10 second backcourt calls.
  • The crowd should chant "5-4-3-2-1" to end halves, and maybe have an "off count" for when the away team has the last shot.

Last edited by whittleboy615; 11-07-2008 at 06:57 PM.
Old 11-07-2008, 06:59 PM   #174
ehh
Hall Of Fame

ehh's Arena

OVR: 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowld
My one big gripe so far is when backing down in the post an offensive foul gets called almost every time. i hope i can adjust sliders to cut down on this
Once you have initiated the backdown do not use the L-stick anymore, just the right stick (or tapping the shot buttons) to perform a move or fake. If you keep wiggling the L-stick the game thinks you're being overaggressive and they will call you for a charge.

"Beware of geeks bearing formulas." - Warren Buffet
Old 11-07-2008, 07:05 PM   #175
Pro

whittleboy615's Arena

OVR: 16

I also chuckled when virtual Kevin Love was subbed in the game for Kentucky.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-07-2008, 07:17 PM   #176
Pro

bowld's Arena

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehh
Once you have initiated the backdown do not use the L-stick anymore, just the right stick (or tapping the shot buttons) to perform a move or fake. If you keep wiggling the L-stick the game thinks you're being overaggressive and they will call you for a charge.

o, ok thanks man guess im used to the 2k backdown system

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > Other Basketball Games > NCAA Basketball »