Home

NCAA Basetball 09 Demo Available, Impressions Here

This is a discussion on NCAA Basetball 09 Demo Available, Impressions Here within the NCAA Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > Other Basketball Games > NCAA Basketball
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 11-07-2008, 04:29 AM   #129
TOMBA IS ONLINE

Tomba's Arena

OVR: 65
Re: NCAA Basetball 09 Demo Available, Impressions Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behindshadows
It's poo! And I don't mean Mr. Hankey!

It's just not as good as the series has been before. I'll be trading my copy in tomorrow for Gears 2 and I never trade games...

But I'm not playing the trash anymore after tonight. I've tried every slider set and rosters file in the 2k threads and its just not working for me anymore. I'm tired of the outdated graphics engine, sliding, no defense, lazy roster updates (so called living rosters) And I'm tired of the CPU cheating you out of victories..I played 2 games tonight where I had big leads and the cpu actually took control of my players where they ran off players on defense and let them score freely. And then had me throwing up numerous air balls from short range. I even had layup that hit the bottom of the rim or the edge on fastbreaks...and they ran it back for a score....2k9 is broken.

(BACK ON TOPIC)

I love this demo and the footplanting is done extremely well, and presentation is better but needs a few more touches. Classic Teams look classic now, even with the old Chuck Taylor's on....

Day 1 purchase and can't wait to begin the roster edits.
I respect both you and Sage's opinions but can't disagree more with you on 2k9...

I have yet to play the demo but like Dave said i rather play the full game. What i played at the event was impressive if not flawed. The things they said they fixed i truly hope are in the game because it was what we saw that needed to be done for you guys to like it more....

one thing i'll say is that the low framerate stutter I saw in the crowd during the event is GONE in that preview demo vid Bshadows!

Last edited by Tomba; 11-07-2008 at 04:33 AM.
Old 11-07-2008, 08:53 AM   #130
ehh
Hall Of Fame

ehh's Arena

OVR: 44

I just played one half with the classic teams on default varsity.

First impression is that this game is a huge improvement over MM08. Anyone who spent a lot of time with MM08 will see that. The graphics, lighting, arenas, courts, etc are all improved. The gameplay and controls are also improved greatly. The animations are improved but are not going to be the strength of this game.

The only glitch I saw was when I drove baseline and went up for a dunk and it was blocked out of bounds but somehow it was MSU's ball.

I can't get into things to in depth because I've got to run out to see a client, but I'm very, very pleased with this demo. I assume the final build will essentially be the same and if that's the case I will be happy.

"Beware of geeks bearing formulas." - Warren Buffet
Old 11-07-2008, 08:54 AM   #131
Bow for Bau

Vince's Arena

OVR: 28

CPU fast breaks very well.

http://twitter.com/52isthemike
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-07-2008, 09:18 AM   #132
Rookie

OVR: 3

Its great to see old school teams really look like old school teams and I love the fact that we will be able to use them online. 2K missed the boat on this.
Old 11-07-2008, 10:00 AM   #133
MVP

Koolie G's Arena

OVR: 13

To get this out of the way I've not played EA basketball for a while. I used to love it, then I went over to 2k and haven't returned.

That being said I DL'd the demo and played three or four games last night. I do not like the two button shooting system, but I can probably get used to it. I still think the 2k right stick system, especially for layups and dunks, is the way to go. I couldn't figure out the low post moves and was too lazy to go back and read the button mapping page. The outside jump shots seemed "off". I don't know what it was nor really how to explain it. I just didn't ever get a good feel whether the shot was going in or not. It seemed like a random result, even for good 3 point shooters. I like the tempo meter, except while playing as KY and getting a fast break opportunity it seems as though I was penalized for the fastbreak. That shouldn't be. If I'm pressing and trapping and trying to get quick scores in the last 2 minutes because I'm behind, is that gonna penalize a half court team like KY? Hope not.

The coaches suggestions are well implemented. I'm not a big fan of the free throw system, but I'm not sure what system is better. I didn't really run any offensive plays b/c once again I am too unfamiliar with the controls. The Demo is not fantastic, but it is a solid effort. There is enough there to really make me consider purchasing this. I love CH2k8, but I may purchase this one and give it shot. I will wait for some impressions from the guys here before I make my decision, but at least I am talking about an EA basketball game. After re-reading this post it seems negative and that's not really my impression. I like the game, it may just take some getting used to. Hopefully the full game will have enough depth in the dynasty mode to pull me in.

Last edited by Koolie G; 11-07-2008 at 10:04 AM. Reason: adding left out words
Old 11-07-2008, 10:40 AM   #134
Rookie

richie923's Arena

OVR: 5

I like this demo, but I still dont know whether or not I want Live or NCAA for Christmas. Still can't decide. I guess a lot will depend on if I get rosters for this game.

One thing I noticed is I think they have the 5 seconds rule wrong, or the called me for 5 secs when it wasn't at least...I was holding the ball for while and there was a guy on me. Then my controller vibrated and I realized the 5 second rule so then I decided to dribble. So I took a couple dribbles but didn't create separation and was called for 5 secs. I don't think that's the right call. Technically you can hold the ball for 4 secs, dribble the ball for 4 secs, and hold the ball again for 4 secs, without creating separation or getting called for the 5 sec call. Nit picky, yes, but whatever.
Old 11-07-2008, 11:04 AM   #135
MVP

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behindshadows
I played about 4 games early this morning and it is the NBA Live 09 engine!

Some people are just being critical. It does play better than Live 09 and much faster and smoother. As far as the out of bounds passing. Out of all 4 games, I didn't do that 1 time. I have a HD Video I'm uploading and will post later today.

Many people went into this looking for a negative, but when you watch this video I created you'll see for yourself.

The game is a lot better than I expected!
I have not played Live, but I can say that NCAA BBAll 09 is a nice playing game. After several games I have not had the out of bounds pass, but since its there its bound to happen.

Controls felt fine to me, I learned quick you have to be in the correct position for crisp passes, and the different freestyle dribble moves.

Shooting seemed fine to me, I saw less off balance shots, and good form on most shots.

The demo is very deep with 4 teams, different camera angles, difficulty levels, and I enjoy the campus warm-up.

I am excited to play this game more after the demo. We may a good game in our hands folks, lets keep an open mind about who the publisher is.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-07-2008, 11:12 AM   #136
Rookie

OVR: 2

Very disappointed. It's probably the animations, and the way they work with the game controls, but I find the demo to be alternately clunky and spastic. Nothing on the screen looks or feels like actual basketball, and the timing of everything is just odd and idiosyncratic -- just like the same video game basketball I've been playing since double dribble.

Also pretty unimpressed by the off-ball movement and general AI, the players don't seem to do basic basketball cuts and practice elementary floor spacing depending on your passing, which is something all basketball games need. I'm sure playcalling helps with this, but still -- it just reminds you of how game-y everything feels.

Like all hoops games, the collision system is kinda lacking. I think that's because basketball is a game of constant bumping and sliding and contact with motion, and that's hard to translate into mo-capped animations.

Player face modeling and skin textures/lighting are very, very well done. Some of the best I've seen in a sports game. Body proportions are a little off, and the animations -- well, I think others have said enough on that. Even the nice, fluid animations feel out of place.

On the whole, the graphics seem a little dark, the way night games in movies are always much too dark.

The short shorts on the classic teams is also a nice touch, though it would have been nicer had they fixed the overly large jersey graphics to go with it.

Overall, I guess I'm hoping for a game that captures the good parts of CH 2k8 but has a more organic, looser, better animated floor game, complete with better off-ball movement. NCAA 09 is not that game.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > Other Basketball Games > NCAA Basketball »