Home

NBA Live 09 Demo Released, Impressions Here 360 & PS3

This is a discussion on NBA Live 09 Demo Released, Impressions Here 360 & PS3 within the NBA Live forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA Live
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 09-05-2008, 12:13 PM   #369
Stop The GOAT Talk

SageInfinite's Arena

OVR: 40
Re: NBA Live 09 Demo Released, Impressions Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigeastbumrush

I think this will be an incredible game after slider adjustments. With the play-calling system and pretty much total offensive control, I'm convinced that this is going to be a blast to play.

SageInfinite Bandcamp
https://sageinfinite.bandcamp.com/album/interminable
https://soundcloud.com/sageinfinite
Hidden Language Video Feat. Grandmilly
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hf5nW4rGTFM

#makethemaddenforumgreatagain
Old 09-05-2008, 12:17 PM   #370
NBA 2K Gameplay Producer, Offensive AI System - SIM NATION

Da_Czar's Arena

OVR: 61

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumbleweed
The button release definitely makes a difference in this game, but much like 2K, you can still hold the button or release it way early and occasionally get a make out of it. I was just shooting around with Pierce trying to get a feel for his shot (watching the release meter below him as well as his release), and it's very consistant on its release point. You can make it with an early or late release occasionally, but it mostly misses.

Also, as people have said, there's no real indication aside from missing the shot that you've messed up the release. But even with a perfect release, you can still miss from your hotspot, so it's still basically a crapshoot like every basketball game ever. That's the way it should be IMO (very high percentage with perfect release from a good spot, not impossible to make a bad release shot from a cold spot).

It would be great if we could tell by the way the ball comes off their hands whether it was late or early though -- I thought Beluba said that was in this year... like if you're way early, it goes short, and if you hold it too long, it hits back rim... does anyone else remember reading that?
you sure stumble ? I will look at it again When I looked at it briefly i could do any release and still make shots.
Catch me on that #SimNation #SimHangOut Friday's @ 10:00 pm est https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...N7yxMiElOpMl_B
Old 09-05-2008, 12:21 PM   #371

Da_Czar's Arena

This might be the best and most intelligent playcalling system ever... Superb
Catch me on that #SimNation #SimHangOut Friday's @ 10:00 pm est https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...N7yxMiElOpMl_B
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-05-2008, 12:32 PM   #372
Books Nelson Simnation

Bornindamecca's Arena

OVR: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da_Czar
This might be the best and most intelligent playcalling system ever... Superb
I agree. It's fast, intuitive and free flowing. If the whole game flowed the way the play calling did, it'd be a lot better.
Old 09-05-2008, 12:40 PM   #373
yellow

23's Arena

OVR: 65

Would you guys mind describing what you mean by that, and what you see?
Old 09-05-2008, 12:53 PM   #374
Livin' the dream

Stumbleweed's Arena

OVR: 39

When you call the play, you'll see guys getting into place (and there's a little spot for you to stand on), then it'll pop an A button icon up above their heads, indicating that they are a possible pass recipient. It's greyed out while they're running to their spots, but then lights up when they're ready for the ball so you kind of know where the pass is designed to go beforehand. Most plays have several options and it flows very nicely and isn't nearly as rigid as 2K's where if you crossover accidentally it'll deactivate the play...

Add to that the ability to call quick DNA-based plays (KG left post, Allen off-ball screen) with Y that cater to your the strengths of the players on the floor at the time. So you can call those or you can call an actual play. I was very impressed that you can completely edit the playbooks in the demo -- changed up some Lakers plays and they all looked and ran great. You can choose the play and then assign it to finish with a certain player. So even if it's a play originally designed for the SF, you can make it go to Kobe (playing SG) by assigning the play to him in the menu. VERY cool... can't wait for Dynasty mode.

And yeah Czar, it was basically just like 2K8 in practice where it'll say 'perfect release' and doesn't always go in, even from a good spot. And likewise, you can get an early release (meter not filled and red) and it'll sometimes still go in. But I sat on Pierce's right side hot spots putting up the same shot with perfect release and it went in like 8/10 times, whereas if I was releasing early or late, it was more like 4/10. I'll do some trials tonight and actually record the data... these are just approximations. But I definitely think it make a difference -- it doesn't help that Pierce's (and most players from the looks of it) release is quick by 2K standards... makes it hard to tell if you've screwed it up or not.

Having the practice gym available with your whole team will be great... especially since Live's release indicator seems more reliable so far than 2K8's was. Perfect Release hardly ever fell in 2K8 seemed like.. slightly early was always better.

Last edited by Stumbleweed; 09-05-2008 at 12:56 PM.
Old 09-05-2008, 01:02 PM   #375
Books Nelson Simnation

Bornindamecca's Arena

OVR: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by KDRE_OS
Would you guys mind describing what you mean by that, and what you see?
Alright, but I'm going to have to use 2k8 as a contrast.

In 2k8 you call a play, the art comes up, and people start walking to their positions. When everyone is in the right spot, the play can begin. You either follow the play art or you break the play if another opportunity presents itself.

Live 09 rundown:
-first off its faster
-when you call the play, people hustle quickly to their spots
-the moment the play is called, a grayed out A button(X for PS3?) appears over the head of the player(s) who are a part of the next step of the play

Example: You have the ball with Fisher and call a triangle play for Kobe to isolate. Pau and Lamar will both have grayed out buttons over their heads while Kobe-who is not to receive the ball- runs to his spot

Step 2!
-the players are in their places and the A button lights up. Now you pass to the player(s) indicated. Let's pick Odom.
-Odom has the ball, Kobe runs through screens and gets to his place on the other side of the triangle. Now for the last part of the play. This is an accurate triangle, so you have options
-pass early to Kobe for the J
-explore opportunities with Lamar, if the D has focused on Kobe
-If the D is tight, wait for Kobe to get settled, then pass it to him. Now we have an official triangle isolation situation with Kobe on the elbow and the floor spread for distribution opportunities.

It's very nice
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-05-2008, 01:05 PM   #376

Da_Czar's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumbleweed
When you call the play, you'll see guys getting into place (and there's a little spot for you to stand on), then it'll pop an A button icon up above their heads, indicating that they are a possible pass recipient. It's greyed out while they're running to their spots, but then lights up when they're ready for the ball so you kind of know where the pass is designed to go beforehand. Most plays have several options and it flows very nicely and isn't nearly as rigid as 2K's where if you crossover accidentally it'll deactivate the play...

Add to that the ability to call quick DNA-based plays (KG left post, Allen off-ball screen) with Y that cater to your the strengths of the players on the floor at the time. So you can call those or you can call an actual play. I was very impressed that you can completely edit the playbooks in the demo -- changed up some Lakers plays and they all looked and ran great. You can choose the play and then assign it to finish with a certain player. So even if it's a play originally designed for the SF, you can make it go to Kobe (playing SG) by assigning the play to him in the menu. VERY cool... can't wait for Dynasty mode.

And yeah Czar, it was basically just like 2K8 in practice where it'll say 'perfect release' and doesn't always go in, even from a good spot. And likewise, you can get an early release (meter not filled and red) and it'll sometimes still go in. But I sat on Pierce's right side hot spots putting up the same shot with perfect release and it went in like 8/10 times, whereas if I was releasing early or late, it was more like 4/10. I'll do some trials tonight and actually record the data... these are just approximations. But I definitely think it make a difference -- it doesn't help that Pierce's (and most players from the looks of it) release is quick by 2K standards... makes it hard to tell if you've screwed it up or not.

Having the practice gym available with your whole team will be great... especially since Live's release indicator seems more reliable so far than 2K8's was. Perfect Release hardly ever fell in 2K8 seemed like.. slightly early was always better.
Thanks stumble no need for more testing your word and test is good enough for me. My test wasn't in depth at all. I made a few with poor release and called it a day.

Dre its everything stumble said and more. You can initiate any play with anyone on the floor. Just for kicks I took garnet on the right wing and since he had the ball the play screen replaced the play I run for him with a post up for perkins. Its really nice. so you don't feel glued in or restricted at all with your playcalling.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA Live »