Home

Baserunning is Still my Achilles Heel

This is a discussion on Baserunning is Still my Achilles Heel within the MLB The Show Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?

Old 08-11-2008, 11:41 AM   #1
Executive Editor

RaychelSnr's Arena

OVR: 57
Baserunning is Still my Achilles Heel

Do you have a specific aspect of a sports video game you just cannot do well at? For some it might be manual catching in football games, for others it might be making slick moves while driving the paint, and for some it could be running the bases in baseball. Patrick Williams explains why baserunning is still his Achilles heel in sports gaming in his article today.

Quote:
"When taking a fresh-out-of-the-wrapper sports game for its initial ride, you know the game is going to have a learning curve.

For some gamers this can be frustrating. Often, however, it can also be very rewarding and help give the game lasting appeal. Generally, I consider myself to be above average at sports video games. Years of playing the real sports and their video game counterparts have helped in this regard."
Platform: PS2 / PS3 / PSP
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-11-2008, 11:52 AM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 2
Theres certainly a learning curve, but I have no problems running the bases, judging what's a double or a triple (granted I get thrown out sometimes, but that's baseball)

One problem I have is on wild pitches, the camera sort of swings around from the catchers point of view to the outfielders point of view, making a 180, and I stumble on that all the time. I can usually get the man from third in to score, but if there are other runners on I usually don't have time. I know somewhere there is a button to send all runners, but I never think of it spur of the moment.
Old 08-11-2008, 12:06 PM   #3
Resident film pundit

Blzer's Arena

OVR: 55
Here's an easy way for baserunning... use the analog sticks.

Left-stick advances runners, right-stick retreats runners. Press it a specific direction (up, down, left, right) to guide them. And yes... I can think of a reason to send a runner back from first. To send them all, click the left stick. To send them all back, click the right stick.

To slide, hold L2 (or L-trigger) and use the left-stick for feet first slides (left/right are hook slides, up/down are take-out/pop-up slides), and use the right-stick for head-first slides (left/right are hook slides, up/down are standard slide/take-out catcher).

To stop runners, hold R2 and either stop an individual runner with the right-stick (which I have yet to see in a video game), or click the right-stick and stop them all.

I don't see why that doesn't work just fine.
Old 08-11-2008, 12:35 PM   #4
Banned

OVR: 60
Re: Baserunning is Still my Achilles Heel

Yes, it's baserunning for me too. I had NO problem with CLASSIC BASERUNNING in The Show, but had to switch to NEW to play guys on line. They are completely backwards to one another.

It can get really confusing with two men on, especially when you want to send one particular runner back. I try to watch the flight of the ball, but between watching that and where my baserunners (baserunning window) are in relation to the base it can get frustrating.
Old 08-11-2008, 01:27 PM   #5
Rookie

rockbottom3's Arena

OVR: 6
Im not so good with baserunnig as well never have been..don't know why?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-11-2008, 01:39 PM   #6
Pro

OVR: 9
Actually I think that baserunning is also the hardest thing in real baseball. Of course certain times it is easy like the last little story, but look how many baserunning errors appear in real games. Quite a few in the Majors and that is where they are supposed to not make errors period. So I always put the difficulty of baserunning in my head as the difficulty to communicate with the players running the bases and the first and third base coaches... of course I could be just bad at it like the author and making excuses.
Old 08-11-2008, 01:48 PM   #7
Resident film pundit

Blzer's Arena

OVR: 55
Baserunning errors in real life baseball come from making the wrong decision as to whether or not you should run, not that you accidentally ran or you forgot how to run back. Big difference, IMO.

Plus, most of them come from poor fly ball judgments, and in most of these games there's a landing target for people to know where it's going to land beforehand. The issue is in the controls.
Old 08-11-2008, 02:33 PM   #8
Banned

OVR: 29
I only read the featured statements, the baserunning in the show isnt too bad, on RTTS its a bit worse, but still manageable,
only real complaint i have is when im called out and its clear the catcher or basemen didnt tag me with the ball at all that happends waaaay too often

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen »