Home

Patrick Williams: Can I Have My Money Back?

This is a discussion on Patrick Williams: Can I Have My Money Back? within the MLB 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MLB 2K
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 03-20-2008, 05:55 PM   #65
Can't spell antetokounmpo

Bahnzo's Arena

OVR: 30
Re: Patrick Williams: Can I Have My Money Back?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thornie
Maybe it's just everyone you know... According to this poll (http://www.operationsports.com/forum...ough-rate.html), posted a few weeks ago, 73% of 88 OSers rated the game 7.0 or above. That's far from horrible.
I think it's misleading to accept the opinions of people excited to have the game and who haven't played it thoroughly as fact.

The more I play this game, the more I find wrong with it. When you add up the frame rate issues, the worthless online play, and all the niggling little bugs and things that just aren't right....it's becoming more and more clear that 2K needs to completely scrap this game and build a new one from the ground up.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-20-2008, 06:00 PM   #66
CMH
Making you famous

CMH's Arena

OVR: 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bahnzo
I think it's misleading to accept the opinions of people excited to have the game and who haven't played it thoroughly as fact.

The more I play this game, the more I find wrong with it. When you add up the frame rate issues, the worthless online play, and all the niggling little bugs and things that just aren't right....it's becoming more and more clear that 2K needs to completely scrap this game and build a new one from the ground up.

Funny you say that because if you look at the impressions most of the people that actually played it longer than say one game actually have found the good in the game and it's game play.

Seems to me that the misleading opinions are those that didn't play the game enough.

You, of course, are stating that you've played the game for a good while so that's a refreshing statement. Most of the negativity has been based on one play through or less than maybe 3 hours of play.
"It may well be that we spectators, who are not divinely gifted as athletes, are the only ones able to truly see, articulate and animate the experience of the gift we are denied. And that those who receive and act out the gift of athletic genius must, perforce, be blind and dumb about it -- and not because blindness and dumbness are the price of the gift, but because they are its essence." - David Foster Wallace

"You'll not find more penny-wise/pound-foolish behavior than in Major League Baseball." - Rob Neyer
Old 03-20-2008, 06:05 PM   #67

Bahnzo's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by YankeePride
Seems to me that the misleading opinions are those that didn't play the game enough.
I didn't say the opinions were misleading, but the poll was. It's an early poll that was put up right when the game was released and those are worthless to judge opinion from.
Old 03-20-2008, 06:08 PM   #68
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:
Funny you say that because if you look at the impressions most of the people that actually played it longer than say one game actually have found the good in the game and it's game play.

You, of course, are stating that you've played the game for a good while so that's a refreshing statement. Most of the negativity has been based on one play through or less than maybe 3 hours of play.
You're missing the point: the game is so broken that a lot of people don't even want to play it for 3 hours.

Word is 2K is "testing" the patch; I hope they test it more thoroughly than they "tested" the goddamn game before they sent it out the door.
Old 03-20-2008, 06:10 PM   #69

Bahnzo's Arena

Quote:
There is good in this game, but the more I play it, the more I wonder just what the hell they did all year. It really feels like they spent most of their time putting in new features instead of making a solid game of baseball. It makes me laugh when 2K says this year was gameplay and next year is presentation. Lets face it, they need to spend the next dev cycle on gameplay entirely. And bugfixing for that matter.

But I still think they really need to scrap the whole thing and start fresh. As much as 2K has been trying, you can never polish a turd.
Old 03-20-2008, 06:16 PM   #70
All Star

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art1bk
Im really glad that OS does not care about pleasing fanboys. Im glad they gave this game exactly what it deserved a 6. This game went backwards. I gave up on 2k baseball. They make the best football and baseketball games but baseball is not on that level. I wouldnt be surprise or upset if they lose that 3rd party license.
As someone else said - it's the hypocrisy. If we're looking at the '08 sports titles, am I to believe that Madden is a better football game than MLB2K8 is a baseball game? That NBA Live '08 is a better basketball game than MLB2K8 is a baseball game? I'm not trying to pick on the EA games btw - there just seems to be selective criticism on display. It shouldn't be "we'll get Madden '09 if it sucks" - that's an entirely new calendar year game. And even I'd be shocked if the game didn't improve this coming year.

As I've been saying for years - but I was talking about IGN when I said it at the time - if one game is to be held to a certain standard, hold ALL the games to a certain standard. Don't be selective. There are people that say 2K8 has no redeeming value whatsoever, which is ridiculous imo. If you're disappointed because of the graphics, framerate, or whatever, fine. But as I said, I think if we're just comparing the baseball games, I think people would be disappointed with The Show '09 if 989 doesn't add new gameplay mechanics next year. That sentiment can be attributed at least in part to what 2K did right with 2K8. Can those same things be said about Madden or Live? I can't think of anything I'd take from Madden and add to APF - other than the licenses of course. Same with NBA2K8 versus Live '08. When I look at Madden, Live, etc. it's like the games get a pat on the back simply for not being as horrible as previous iterations.

No one's arguing that with the game's framerate issue and the hit in graphics if OS wants to give a 6, fine. I'm not a big baseball fan so I can't legitimately debate the game's pros and cons - but I don't see people talking of major gameplay issues, outside of the lack of steal attempts by the CPU and the need to tweak the sliders here or there. The animations are good/very good, they've apparently done a great job with the signature styles in the game, the player models are very well done - I just don't see where this game receives all the flack it does while other games that have been worse for longer get to skate.

XBL gamertag: d0meBreaker22 (that's a zero)

congrats Steelers, city of Pittsburgh, and Steeler Nation - SIX TIME WORLD CHAMPS
Old 03-20-2008, 06:31 PM   #71
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by spankdatazz22
As someone else said - it's the hypocrisy.
What the hell is the matter with everyone that we're all so concerned about "bias" in video game reporting, etc?

Look, 2K8 sucks badly. It's got nothing to do with Madden or anything else. It's quite simple.

To everyone who is saying: "BUT TEH GAMEPLAY IS AWESOME" - please cut the ****. I don't care what new -- and pointless -- "features" they add when the game runs so poorly you can't actually use any of them.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-20-2008, 06:38 PM   #72
Banned

OVR: 9
I will speak for 2K...."no" you can't have your money back.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MLB 2K »