Home

Patrick Williams: Can I Have My Money Back?

This is a discussion on Patrick Williams: Can I Have My Money Back? within the MLB 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MLB 2K
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 03-20-2008, 04:16 PM   #33
Rookie

OVR: 4
Re: Patrick Williams: Can I Have My Money Back?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gta95
$60 is a lot of money to spend on a video game. Factor in the price of the console, TV, electricity, and time. Gaming comes out to be an expensive hobby. When I spend $60, I expect at least a halfway decent game.
you are going overboard by implying 2K8 isnt even halfway decent, even if its not a better game than The Show I still find it plays a good game of baseball with very few slider tweaks

Currently Playing
Fight Night Rd. 4 (360)
UFC Undisputed (360)
FIFA 09 (360)
MLB: The Show 09 (PS3)
Old 03-20-2008, 04:18 PM   #34
Th* *p*r*t**n *f Sp*rts

CS10029's Arena

OVR: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by aka_HorseChoker
You ever come to think that maybe they are bashing the game because,you know,it isn't very good. Of course if it were an EA Sports game,you would have agreed with every point the guy made.
Haha are you kidding me. I still try out EA sports games. I love the NHL game and NCAA is decent. MLB could be better, the same thing with the EA games, but the quality of 2Ks games to that of EAs differs drastically.

I just don't get why this article needs to be posted, when for the most part the people of this site like the game. Im sure this article had to be approved by someone, and I just don't see why its necessary.
I don't like the Yankees, I like the Red Sox, I don't like the Lakers, I like the Celtics, I hate the Canadiens and I love the Bruins. Soccer is the best sport on Earth, but most Americans are too ignorant to realize it. I am American.

This is My Music:
www.youtube.com/user/christoffascott
Old 03-20-2008, 04:19 PM   #35
Rookie

Star1's Arena

OVR: 6
Refund?

Dude should have rented it first...

Nobody owes him d***.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-20-2008, 04:22 PM   #36
Resident film pundit

Blzer's Arena

OVR: 55

I am one of the people that felt like this game was going to be a major letdown. I read the impressions the first day, and thought to myself, "Crap, what did you guys do, 2K?"

Then I downloaded the demo and played the game...

The gameplay is so much better than last year. Now hitting, pitching, fielding, and baserunning aren't actually a chore to make your own sacrifices to make the game harder for yourself. For instance, closing your eyes to move the ball cursor while pitching to miss your spots sometimes; not ever holding up on the left-analog stick while batting to prevent HR derbies; tapping the throwing meter instead of holding it every time while throwing to reduce the ball velocity just a little bit; using baseburner mode to try and steal runners with less ease. We shouldn't have to have these stupid fixes just to address gameplay issues.

And now the four fundamentals have not only been resolved for the most part, but they have become fun. Don't tell me that pitching isn't more fun with the new controls, that batting is more dynamic and smoother with 60 FPS, that right-stick throwing and using cut-offs to throw runners out now feel rewarding. Gameplay issues have, for the most part, been addressed and resolved, and now people are showing their true colors. It seems as through visuals and presentation was more important to you guys than you once thought. Take a look at the MLB 2K8 wishlist thread and read how many "Fix gameplay!" posts there are. They do it, and we still complain that 2K8 wasn't a step in the right direction.

As for me? I am a major graphics whore. I am very disappointed in the overall detail, color, and lighting... but I would take that kind of hit for 60 FPS and anti-aliasing eight days a week. Hopefully next year they can be heavily improved on. But I don't think Brinkman gave us any false hope this year. He was very outright with all of the things he said, and I think we got what we were told we were going to get.

It's not necessarily that the series took a step back. In some ways, I do think that it did... but only to jump back forward again in the future. I don't know jack about memory, processing power, or anything like that, but if the 360 version is holding the PS3 version back, I say they screw the 360 like they did the PS2, and go as much as they can with the PS3 version when they will have to limit themselves with the 360 version. Only then, hopefully we will find where this series wants to be with 2K9. Most fundamental gameplay issues have been resolved... now let's pretty up this series again. I still have faith in this series, but I think 2K9 is their last chance for me. If they aren't going in the right direction by then, then I will have lost all hope.

EDIT: If there was one thing they did wrong this year (not necessarily in terms of development, but something I think they could have held back on), it's the playable minor leagues. I think that could have waited a year or two, but that's just me. I have yet to play the retail version (only the demo), so I can't speak first-hand on how cool they are in the game. But the lack of many generic stances doesn't excite me too much.
Samsung PN60F8500 PDP / Anthem MRX 720 / Klipsch RC-62 II / Klipsch RF-82 II (x2) / Insignia NS-B2111 (x2) / SVS PC13-Ultra / SVS SB-2000 / Sony MDR-7506 Professional / Audio-Technica ATH-R70x / Sony PS3 & PS4 / DirecTV HR44-500 / DarbeeVision DVP-5000 / Panamax M5400-PM / Elgato HD60
Old 03-20-2008, 04:54 PM   #37
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blzer
EDIT: If there was one thing they did wrong this year (not necessarily in terms of development, but something I think they could have held back on), it's the playable minor leagues. I think that could have waited a year or two, but that's just me. I have yet to play the retail version (only the demo), so I can't speak first-hand on how cool they are in the game. But the lack of many generic stances doesn't excite me too much.
Wait, so you've launched into this lengthy diatribe defending the game and you have, you know, yet to actually play it?

Because I can tell you, it ain't running at 60fps. It's more like (60 - 55) fps.
Old 03-20-2008, 04:55 PM   #38
Th* *p*r*t**n *f Sp*rts

CS10029's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by awesomepatrol
Wait, so you've launched into this lengthy diatribe defending the game and you have, you know, yet to actually play it?

Because I can tell you, it ain't running at 60fps. It's more like (60 - 55) fps.
You obviously know very little about seeing.
I don't like the Yankees, I like the Red Sox, I don't like the Lakers, I like the Celtics, I hate the Canadiens and I love the Bruins. Soccer is the best sport on Earth, but most Americans are too ignorant to realize it. I am American.

This is My Music:
Old 03-20-2008, 04:59 PM   #39
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by CS10029
You obviously know very little about seeing.
Indeed. Me and all of the hundreds of posters -- and, in fact, 2K themselves -- who have acknowledged this patent flaw.

We must all be EA shills.
Old 03-20-2008, 05:01 PM   #40
Th* *p*r*t**n *f Sp*rts

CS10029's Arena

Do you realize what 5 FPS would look like? Honestly come on.

This is My Music:

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MLB 2K »