Home

Patrick Williams: Can I Have My Money Back?

This is a discussion on Patrick Williams: Can I Have My Money Back? within the MLB 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MLB 2K
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 03-20-2008, 05:04 PM   #41
Banned

OVR: 26
Re: Patrick Williams: Can I Have My Money Back?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyMoss84
"commentary was exactly the same"
-jon miller & joe morgan last year is still better than any other baseball game commentary this year (and still better than a lot of other sports games) if i ain't broke don't fix it
That's a BAD example to use to if you're trying to plug the game. The commentary is years old, hasn't been updated since 2K5, is buggy and wrong a good portion of the time and thanks to Joe is irrelevent much of the time, and doesn't track in-game or seasonal hitting/pitching streaks. That other game probably has a dozen event sound files for every one that's in 2K. If we're talking ratings, 2K's commentary is a 2 or 3 compared with The Show's 10.

Last edited by baa7; 03-20-2008 at 05:06 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-20-2008, 05:05 PM   #42
Banned

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by CS10029
While appreciate them doing an article. Its a little lame how much effort has been put towards bashing this game.

you are right, they have put more effort into bashing the game than 2k did into making the damn thing. Listen, bottom line, if you make a bad game...expect it to be bashed. That is part of the deal. I cant remember the last sports title where the graphics got worse from one year to the next. If you can enjoy this game...you can have fun with most games.
Old 03-20-2008, 05:06 PM   #43
MVP

Artman22's Arena

I completely agree with the article. This game went completely backwards. The game deserves a 5 not even a 6. The player models are horrible. They have small heads that dont go with the bodys at all. This game is a complete disapointment. People need to stop being fanboys. I love 2k but this game is bad. 2k6 to 2k7 imo was a big jump. 2k7 to 2k8 went backwards. Fanboys will defend this game to the end. It's sad that people wont accept that this game is just not good, And this is coming from a guy who liked 2k7.
Old 03-20-2008, 05:06 PM   #44
All Star

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by arseniotall
I hope they bash Madden like this when it comes out.
Yeah it's the new OS - had to double check to make sure I wasn't at IGN at first.

Madden'll never get bashed; if this were in the Madden forum it'd have to be placed in the all-encompassing "place your bad comments here" thread. Besides Madden has had four years to get it right - and will get longer if necessary. Madden's bar is simply to be better than it was the year before, not to be the best it should be (EA at it's most clever - make the game suck the first year; they'll appreciate half-azzed games in subsequent years).

As far as a refund goes... guess I'm shocked at how little improvements in gameplay mean nowadays. And I'd say the gameplay enhancements were fairly significant. Even with as great as I've heard The Show is this year, I think there would be disappointment if they didn't make some gameplay changes next year. It could be argued those changes would come anyway because of the title evolving, but I think a fairly significant reason would be because of what 2K8 did with it's control changes to liven up it's gameplay.

XBL gamertag: d0meBreaker22 (that's a zero)

congrats Steelers, city of Pittsburgh, and Steeler Nation - SIX TIME WORLD CHAMPS
Old 03-20-2008, 05:06 PM   #45
Th* *p*r*t**n *f Sp*rts

CS10029's Arena

OVR: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by baa7
That's a BAD example to use to if you're trying to plug the game. The commentary is years old, hasn't been updated since 2K5, is buggy and wrong a good portion of the time and thanks to Joe is irrelevent much of the time, and doesn't track in-game hitting events or seasonal hitting streaks. That other game probably has a dozen event sound files for every one that's in 2K. If we're talking ratings, 2K's commentary is a 2 or 3 compared with The Show's 10.
Ill agree there, the commentary is tough to listen to most of the time, if not all the time. I've learned to block them out though.
I don't like the Yankees, I like the Red Sox, I don't like the Lakers, I like the Celtics, I hate the Canadiens and I love the Bruins. Soccer is the best sport on Earth, but most Americans are too ignorant to realize it. I am American.

This is My Music:
www.youtube.com/user/christoffascott
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-20-2008, 05:07 PM   #46
Resident film pundit

Blzer's Arena

OVR: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by awesomepatrol
Wait, so you've launched into this lengthy diatribe defending the game and you have, you know, yet to actually play it?

Because I can tell you, it ain't running at 60fps. It's more like (60 - 55) fps.
The batting and pitching cameras seem to have a steady 60 FPS framerate. In the field, there is a daringly awful chop that I see every quarter-second as the camera pans across the field for throws or hits, but that doesn't seem like a framerate issue.

I only say that because, if you go into replay mode and let it play in regular motion, you won't see that hiccup. I think what happens is, in-game, the game tries to mimic a "camera delay" as if it's trailing the ball only by a little bit, but then it locks and re-centers every so often, giving it that terrible look of what could perhaps be a framerate issue. But I don't think it is the framerate that is really dropping.

Nevertheless, in between, it seems to be running at 60 FPS. If the patch improves this, then more to us. If not, then it's something we have to look forward to being fixed next year. If not then, we can say goodbye to this series.

But I hope you weren't calling me out in a way that maybe I don't have a keen eye for visual degradations. I know of people on this site that though MLB 2K7 was running just smoothly and didn't have any jaggies. I hope that, after playing MLB 2K8, they finally can see what issues MLB 2K7 had in those departments. An a game that isn't running smoothly or that isn't clean around the edges normally doesn't get a passing grade in my book.

BTW like I said, I haven't played the retail version. Supposedly the issue you're talking about is worse in retail, so what I'm seeing in the demo is only a slight issue compared to what you guys have. Obviously, that's why I didn't buy this game.
Samsung PN60F8500 PDP / Anthem MRX 720 / Klipsch RC-62 II / Klipsch RF-82 II (x2) / Insignia NS-B2111 (x2) / SVS PC13-Ultra / SVS SB-2000 / Sony MDR-7506 Professional / Audio-Technica ATH-R70x / Sony PS3 & PS4 / DirecTV HR44-500 / DarbeeVision DVP-5000 / Panamax M5400-PM / Elgato HD60
Old 03-20-2008, 05:09 PM   #47
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick3176
You could smell this coming a mile away.
While I still say the game isn't THAT bad, I agree. Anyone who hasn't learned their lesson by now after 2K5, 2K6 and 2K7, has their nose clothes-pinned shut.
Old 03-20-2008, 05:13 PM   #48
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blzer

BTW like I said, I haven't played the retail version. Supposedly the issue you're talking about is worse in retail, so what I'm seeing in the demo is only a slight issue compared to what you guys have. Obviously, that's why I didn't buy this game.
Correct, everything you said above this is 100% inaccurate about the full retail game. Hysterically, the demo isn't plagued by this problem.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MLB 2K »