Home

Major League Baseball 2K8 360 Impressions

This is a discussion on Major League Baseball 2K8 360 Impressions within the MLB 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MLB 2K
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 03-13-2008, 01:11 AM   #1865
Banned

OVR: 9
Re: Major League Baseball 2K8 360 Impressions

I wish the no doubter homerun cam was the camera used in Homerun Derby. That is a sweet camera. Be nice if they could patch that in!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-13-2008, 07:53 AM   #1866
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by YankeePride
How to throw a fastball with maximum effort:

Press and hold down to begin your motion. A circle begins to expand. When the circle reaches it's largest point, move and hold the Right Analog Stick forward. Release the stick when the contracting circle reaches it's smallest point. If you release prior to this the margin of error increases by the size of the circle or becomes a meatball pitch.

How to throw a fastball with less effort:

Now that you know how to throw a maximum effort fastball, you might want to control your effort to conserve energy.

Press and hold down to begin your motion. A circle begins to expand. Move and hold the RAS stick up (Note: You can do this prior to the circle reaching it's largest point. The expanding circle is your effort.) The circle will continue to expand. Continue to hold the stick up. Release the stick when the contracting circle reaches it's smallest point.

Once you understand that then you can understand the other pitches. Follow the same steps. The first motion is always your effort. Your second motion is your accuracy. You must remember to always hold the second motion down until the circle reaches it's smallest point. Releasing early will result in a meatball pitch.

There is a tutorial in the pause screen to practice.

Onlyh problem I have found with this is as you increase the pitch control slider you are not able to throw with less than minimum effort, or not able to start second gesture until you pass the first line. If you do it is a meatpitch. Again, that has been my experience since adjusting the control slider anywhere above, i believe, 60-65. Any where lower on the slider and you are correct.

Go Friars!
Old 03-13-2008, 08:23 AM   #1867
CMH
Making you famous

CMH's Arena

OVR: 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by merff11
Onlyh problem I have found with this is as you increase the pitch control slider you are not able to throw with less than minimum effort, or not able to start second gesture until you pass the first line. If you do it is a meatpitch. Again, that has been my experience since adjusting the control slider anywhere above, i believe, 60-65. Any where lower on the slider and you are correct.
I have to give it a try but my description is exactly how you use the meter.

Not sure why upping the difficulty and therefore speed of the orb would take away effort.

Just press down and quickly press up and hold while the orb expands and release when the orb contracts to it's smallest point.
"It may well be that we spectators, who are not divinely gifted as athletes, are the only ones able to truly see, articulate and animate the experience of the gift we are denied. And that those who receive and act out the gift of athletic genius must, perforce, be blind and dumb about it -- and not because blindness and dumbness are the price of the gift, but because they are its essence." - David Foster Wallace

"You'll not find more penny-wise/pound-foolish behavior than in Major League Baseball." - Rob Neyer
Old 03-13-2008, 11:09 AM   #1868
Rookie

Quote:
I have to give it a try but my description is exactly how you use the meter.

Not sure why upping the difficulty and therefore speed of the orb would take away effort.

Just press down and quickly press up and hold while the orb expands and release when the orb contracts to it's smallest point.
I think perhaps it is designed to be that way as you increase difficulty to make pitchers fatigue more quickly and to make release more difficult.

I wish what you're describing worked for me, but as the difficulty increases so did the difficulty of the level of effort. I think it makes sense, I tried to throw a bit more accurate less effort pitches and it always gave me meat pitch

Go Friars!
Old 03-13-2008, 12:50 PM   #1869
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeldu
Anyone have any idea as to what the flashing is around home plate and the pitchers mound? Or what might be causing it?
If you're talking about what I think you're talking about, I've always thought it was dust/dirt swirling up from the wind. That's what it seems like to me.
Old 03-13-2008, 04:17 PM   #1870
Banned

OVR: 9

No, Iv'e seen that. This is something else, just not sure what to attribute it to.
Old 03-13-2008, 09:47 PM   #1871
Rookie

FlyerFanatic08's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
How to throw a fastball with maximum effort:

Press and hold down to begin your motion. A circle begins to expand. When the circle reaches it's largest point, move and hold the Right Analog Stick forward. Release the stick when the contracting circle reaches it's smallest point. If you release prior to this the margin of error increases by the size of the circle or becomes a meatball pitch.

How to throw a fastball with less effort:

Now that you know how to throw a maximum effort fastball, you might want to control your effort to conserve energy.

Press and hold down to begin your motion. A circle begins to expand. Move and hold the RAS stick up (Note: You can do this prior to the circle reaching it's largest point. The expanding circle is your effort.) The circle will continue to expand. Continue to hold the stick up. Release the stick when the contracting circle reaches it's smallest point.

Once you understand that then you can understand the other pitches. Follow the same steps. The first motion is always your effort. Your second motion is your accuracy. You must remember to always hold the second motion down until the circle reaches it's smallest point. Releasing early will result in a meatball pitch.

There is a tutorial in the pause screen to practice.

so i'm trying this and it still seems i cant figure it out. i am holding up..i see the circle expand, but i dont see any circle contracting...though most of the time the circle turns red and starts blinking which prob means i'm screwing up...what do i need to be looking for? like i said i see the circle expanding but not seeing any circle contracting...am i holding down too long?

i dont know..i'm practicing this in the tutorial but i still cant seem to figure it out. i wish the tutorial would take you through a pitc as in like saying hold down the stick, then when the circle hits the best place to freeze and say heres when you wanna hit the 2nd direction, then show how long to hold that...and then finally when to release, just to help you get an idea

i'm bordering selling this game...i cant say i'm to big of a fan of this pitching system yet...i'm sure theres a way to change it...think i read you could on some other threads...but online play will be this default...and if thats the case i'm screwed..whatever happened to just having A,B,X,Y as the diff pitches, you just choose a location. even mvp 03 had a great system hit the button to pitch hold and hit it again to get the pitch in a green area for the best pitch.

maybe its too realistic for me?? like i really dont feel i should have to go through the trouble of spending a couple hours trying to figure out how to pitch the ball..i mean how is this supposed to make it more realistic or add something to it? i mean i get they want to add new stuff to games each year to sell it..but the tutorial doesnt really help...

anymore suggestions?

edit: actually, i got it kind of figured out now...i wasnt holding the effort long enough...so now that i have that i can clearly see the circle contract...though i'm having problems throwing stuff other than fastballs. it seems like its way hard to throw a curve or something when you have to rotate the stick for its 2nd motion, cuz just barely moving it the wrong way or whatever screws it up. any ideas?

If winning isn't everything, why do they keep score?
- Vince Lombardi

Last edited by FlyerFanatic08; 03-13-2008 at 10:35 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-14-2008, 12:37 AM   #1872
Banned

OVR: 47

There are some things I like about this game. It is actually a good game. I can't stand the swing animation or the outfield animation, but the infield animation is really sweet. I love that high camera. Also I like the throwing meter. I hate the new pitching. Also, I hate the how the dirt flies up when the ball hits the dirt. They look like little bombs went off. I love that they got my all time favorite player swing. Will the thrill Clark!

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MLB 2K »