Home

Major League Baseball 2K8 360 Impressions

This is a discussion on Major League Baseball 2K8 360 Impressions within the MLB 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MLB 2K
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?

Old 03-09-2008, 08:57 PM   #1801
CMH
Making you famous

CMH's Arena

OVR: 46
Re: Major League Baseball 2K8 360 Impressions

The only thing that really needs slider changes is the CPU not throwing a bunch of balls.

Seeing as how that is a problem in almost every baseball game created to date I'm not going to let it ruin my experience.

Do I wish it could be solved? Of course. But, switching to another game or playing previous versions won't solve that issue so the only reason I'd complain is to push developers (on every platform) to offer an option to have the CPU throw more balls.

Not sure what people mean by a lack of hit variety but I see plenty. Hitting is improved. My opinion is that you're wrong when you say it isn't. You can say I'm delirious or stubborn but I can say that same to you.

Also, I find it amusing that people are quick to say that those that like MLB2k8 are trying to justify their purchase or that they are simply wrong by suggesting that the game is good. Why can only an MLB2k8 fan be those things? I can turn around and say that those that like MLB The Show are just trying to justify their purchase by suggesting MLB2k8 is terrible.

It's a silly game that people play by believing others are crazy for liking something. OS has really disappointed me with their shallow, biased opinions on a product. The many people that have come into this impressions thread and have continued to suggest that MLB2k8 fans are wrong for thinking the product plays good baseball or saying that the fans are justifying their purchase should consider looking in the mirror.

Justifying purchases is perhaps the dumbest thing I've ever read on these threads. It's surprising and damn well shameful that it's the Show fans that keep throwing the word out there. Only makes me wonder who is justifying what.

And I'm sure now this will get me some heat and I don't care because I never put down any product here. I've always maintained that it's about preference.

I'm positive now that preference goes way over people's heads here on OS.
"It may well be that we spectators, who are not divinely gifted as athletes, are the only ones able to truly see, articulate and animate the experience of the gift we are denied. And that those who receive and act out the gift of athletic genius must, perforce, be blind and dumb about it -- and not because blindness and dumbness are the price of the gift, but because they are its essence." - David Foster Wallace

"You'll not find more penny-wise/pound-foolish behavior than in Major League Baseball." - Rob Neyer
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-09-2008, 09:07 PM   #1802
Banned

OVR: 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by YankeePride
The only thing that really needs slider changes is the CPU not throwing a bunch of balls.

Seeing as how that is a problem in almost every baseball game created to date I'm not going to let it ruin my experience.

Do I wish it could be solved? Of course. But, switching to another game or playing previous versions won't solve that issue so the only reason I'd complain is to push developers (on every platform) to offer an option to have the CPU throw more balls.

Not sure what people mean by a lack of hit variety but I see plenty. Hitting is improved. My opinion is that you're wrong when you say it isn't. You can say I'm delirious or stubborn but I can say that same to you.

Also, I find it amusing that people are quick to say that those that like MLB2k8 are trying to justify their purchase or that they are simply wrong by suggesting that the game is good. Why can only an MLB2k8 fan be those things? I can turn around and say that those that like MLB The Show are just trying to justify their purchase by suggesting MLB2k8 is terrible.

It's a silly game that people play by believing others are crazy for liking something. OS has really disappointed me with their shallow, biased opinions on a product. The many people that have come into this impressions thread and have continued to suggest that MLB2k8 fans are wrong for thinking the product plays good baseball or saying that the fans are justifying their purchase should consider looking in the mirror.

Justifying purchases is perhaps the dumbest thing I've ever read on these threads. It's surprising and damn well shameful that it's the Show fans that keep throwing the word out there. Only makes me wonder who is justifying what.

And I'm sure now this will get me some heat and I don't care because I never put down any product here. I've always maintained that it's about preference.

I'm positive now that preference goes way over people's heads here on OS.
I don't know, I hate the game, and I was a big 2k fanboy. I think they had something great going last year, but then they decided to make it a different game. The real reason for me is I'm a graphic whore first and this game is a joke in that department at least too me it is! I'm glad some are having fun with this game, but too me it just wasn't doing it for me.
Old 03-09-2008, 09:19 PM   #1803
Pro

SportGamer24's Arena

OVR: 8

I've only played the demo, but I'm hoping there is an option not to display the pitch cursor. Is this possible in the retail version?
Old 03-09-2008, 09:19 PM   #1804
CMH
Making you famous

CMH's Arena

I get that. Graphics are definitely down from last year.

But the gameplay is better and that's what everyone wanted.

It seems to me that if people can complain they will.

Obviously, if the complaint is that the graphics are worse than last year and that's why you don't enjoy the product then I can understand that.

I'm speaking mostly for the people that are saying that the product does not play baseball. I just don't understand that.

My opinion is that the audio aspect of the game is what kills it. If you have Sony's announcing team (and their actual comments) on this product then people will feel like they are listening to a broadcast.

2k7 was a nightmare with homeruns all over the place. It was Slugfest without the title. Now that's not there and people still aren't satisfied with the gameplay. I don't understand why.

Maybe if the people putting down the gameplay explained why they don't think it plays good baseball then I would understand. Instead all I see are blanket statements like, "This game is horrible. It doesn't play good baseball." I'm not sure what that means because it's wrong.
"It may well be that we spectators, who are not divinely gifted as athletes, are the only ones able to truly see, articulate and animate the experience of the gift we are denied. And that those who receive and act out the gift of athletic genius must, perforce, be blind and dumb about it -- and not because blindness and dumbness are the price of the gift, but because they are its essence." - David Foster Wallace

"You'll not find more penny-wise/pound-foolish behavior than in Major League Baseball." - Rob Neyer
Old 03-09-2008, 09:21 PM   #1805
CMH
Making you famous

CMH's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportGamer24
I've only played the demo, but I'm hoping there is an option not to display the pitch cursor. Is this possible in the retail version?
I don't think so. Perhaps in classic pitching. But if you're playing with the new pitching mechanic then you wouldn't be successful without the orb.

I haven't tried classic so I honestly can't answer this question for you.

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-09-2008, 09:27 PM   #1806
It is now the SW Era

muggins's Arena

OVR: 25

Is the not being able to choose your power with pitches when there is a player on base an intended feature or a bug?

BAD BOYS BAD BOYS
Old 03-09-2008, 09:35 PM   #1807
Banned

OVR: 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by YankeePride
I get that. Graphics are definitely down from last year.

But the gameplay is better and that's what everyone wanted.

It seems to me that if people can complain they will.

Obviously, if the complaint is that the graphics are worse than last year and that's why you don't enjoy the product then I can understand that.

I'm speaking mostly for the people that are saying that the product does not play baseball. I just don't understand that.

My opinion is that the audio aspect of the game is what kills it. If you have Sony's announcing team (and their actual comments) on this product then people will feel like they are listening to a broadcast.

2k7 was a nightmare with homeruns all over the place. It was Slugfest without the title. Now that's not there and people still aren't satisfied with the gameplay. I don't understand why.

Maybe if the people putting down the gameplay explained why they don't think it plays good baseball then I would understand. Instead all I see are blanket statements like, "This game is horrible. It doesn't play good baseball." I'm not sure what that means because it's wrong.
Too me it start with the animation. They need to work on that big time. Also, how players react after the ball is hit. If they can fix that for next year I would be happy, but I doubt they will.
Old 03-09-2008, 09:57 PM   #1808
CMH
Making you famous

CMH's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by mugginns
Is the not being able to choose your power with pitches when there is a player on base an intended feature or a bug?
This is being discussed elsewhere and I don't know what to say anymore.

I havne't had this problem but enough people are that perhaps there is something going on with the product.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MLB 2K »