Home

Major League Baseball 2K8 360 Impressions

This is a discussion on Major League Baseball 2K8 360 Impressions within the MLB 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MLB 2K
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 03-08-2008, 01:39 AM   #1753
Banned

OVR: 9
Re: Major League Baseball 2K8 360 Impressions

How did this game get past QA?
Old 03-08-2008, 02:04 AM   #1754
MVP

metal134's Arena

OVR: 10

Is anyone else throwing a lot of wild pitches and hitting a lot of batters? I'm past throwing a lot of meatballs, but when missing just a little on the, for lack of a better term, meter, I'm throwing an awful lot of both.
Old 03-08-2008, 02:12 AM   #1755

Marino's Arena

OVR: 55

\
Quote:
Originally Posted by metal134
Is anyone else throwing a lot of wild pitches and hitting a lot of batters? I'm past throwing a lot of meatballs, but when missing just a little on the, for lack of a better term, meter, I'm throwing an awful lot of both.

you have to make sure your catcher is set up with where your pitching and it will cut out all the wild pitches...i had the same problem earlier
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-08-2008, 02:37 AM   #1756
MVP

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkEagle18
Is it just me or are people starting to get into this game very heavily now, some even praising it. I think all the naysayers and negative comments were very premature and though I admit some problems, I think this game will prove to be a fine one. Anyone agree? Or Disagree?

I agree. I'm having a good time with this game...pitching takes some time..and there are some pitches that I dont get a good feel for at times..but isnt that baseball?? Last game I just could not snap off Josh Beckett's 12-6 curve consistantly, so I didnt throw it all that often.

I think sometimes we get a little spoiled, which causes us to go bonkers over a games friggen frame rate and we forget that the game plays a good game of baseball out of the box.

Now if there was a way to get the CPU to throw some balls every now and then.

Last edited by sportyguyfl31; 03-08-2008 at 02:43 AM.
Old 03-08-2008, 02:41 AM   #1757
MVP

metal134's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by marino13882
\

you have to make sure your catcher is set up with where your pitching and it will cut out all the wild pitches...i had the same problem earlier
I'll try that. It's only been in the last couple of games that I've accepted the idea of throwing what the catcher calls for. I'm still hitting a lot of batters, though.
Old 03-08-2008, 08:50 AM   #1758
Pro

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportyguyfl31
Now if there was a way to get the CPU to throw some balls every now and then.
After I asked a quetion on here I tried BFJ's sliders and the only thing that I DIDNT like was that it felt like all my hits were bullets (I am using the BoSox). I didnt have anything weakly hit. There was one instance where Chacin fromt he Jays thru a slider low and out of the strike zone and PAPI still ended up hitting it for a HR. For the pitching it was the first in 8 games were I actually drew more than 1 walk!! I face Burnett in my next game so it will be interesting to see if he throws as many balls as the 4th and 5th starters. for 2 games I think the AI had under 70% strikes.
Old 03-08-2008, 09:03 AM   #1759
Pro

truckie16's Arena

OVR: 7

Well, my 360 arrived from the shop yesterday. Just before my gamefly copy of 2k8 arrived. Played about 2.5 games yesterday.

First off: framerate, while not great, is nowhere near as bad as some make it out to be IMO but every one sees things a little different.

This game is vastly improved over 2k7. If judging from the demo.... don't. The final build is quite a bit better.

Pitching: While I don't think its quite as engrossing as a lot you do( at it's core it's still a meter), I have no real issues with it either. Definitely takes some practice. I love the in game tutorial. Makes it feel very realistic, like I'm throwing my warmup pitches with each guy I bring into the game.

Batting: Much like in MVP 06 I gave up on the hit stick and went back to classic. I just feel like I have no control when using the stick.
Classic is very much like MVP's hitting ( a very good thing to me).
Hit variety is fantastic with balls being sprayed all over the ballpark. I've scored 7 runs in my 2.5 games with no HRs by me. The CPU has hit 4( 2 solo) but they've scored 48 runs int the two+ games. WOW they hit a ton of doubles(fielding issue for me). CPU tends to hit a lot of fly balls...too many. Slider adjustments might fix this.

Fielding: 1MILLION times better than 2k7. I love the throwing meter. Offline throws for both me and the CPU. I've had an issue with the computer giving me control over what I feel would be the wrong fielder. Example: When the CPU does hit it on the grounder toward short, I'm thinking easy play, only to have the CPU switch me from the SS to the CF'er. So now my CF is going the wrong way. Easy double for the CPU. I think there is an option to change it to manual though. So it may not be an issue after that.

Presentation part 1: Commentary-It's pretty bland and on occasion totally wrong. This section needs a complete overhaul next season.
TV style- It's ok nothing great but not bad either.

Presentation part 2: Atmosphere- Improved over past games. The crowd has more buzz throughout. Could be significantly better.

Graphics: Stadiums need some serious work. Something to do with the crowd/seating sections that just looks off. Even though the field has been toned down I actually think its looks better than last year. In 2k7 the fields had this glow to them that looked to bright.
Sig stances and windups are phenomenal!!
I've seen some great ball physics as well.
Animations for fielding are very good. I had one where there was a ball hit towards the wall in Fenway and Manny tried to make a jumping grab at the bottom of the wall only to have the ball bounce off of his glove. Manny then smashed into the wall and fell to the ground. It was so Manny. I must have replayed it 15 times just saying... wow!

Last edited by truckie16; 03-08-2008 at 09:09 AM.
Old 03-08-2008, 10:49 AM   #1760
Hall Of Fame

mkharsh33's Arena

OVR: 35

^ nice, truckie. i like the objectivity. i finally picked this game up - haven't played it yet as i'm awaiting rosters and a patch, but i'll start tinkering around with it to get a feel for it. but i wanted to wait out these "i hate this game..." stuff until i saw some actual objective breakdowns of this game by some of the posters whose judgment i trust and value.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MLB 2K »