Home

Major League Baseball 2K8 360 Impressions

This is a discussion on Major League Baseball 2K8 360 Impressions within the MLB 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MLB 2K
NBA 2K25 Cover Athletes - Jayson Tatum, A'ja Wilson and Vince Carter
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive and Analysis
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games

Old 03-06-2008, 12:49 AM   #1609
MVP

metal134's Arena

OVR: 10
Re: Major League Baseball 2K8 360 Impressions

Something else I forgot to mention. Some people are probably goint o be miffed about this, but I'm happy about it. The Indian's home park is still Jacob's Field in the game!
Old 03-06-2008, 01:20 AM   #1610
MVP

DrUrsus's Arena

OVR: 46

I own both the Show and 2k8, and so far I have been playing nothing but 2k8. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE the Show, and I know that I will come back to it later, but this game is pretty fresh. The Show definitely looks better in the graphic department as well, and I like controlling the CPU rosters. Is there a way to do that in MLB2k8?

The game is definitely better with Ehh's workaround (signing out of your xbox Live signon, thereby disabling VIP and achievements however)

I love pitching in this game! I am getting better and better at it after using the tutorial, and it is becoming a blast. Never have I enjoyed pitching so much in a baseball game. There is definitely a learning curve. I like how I have to worry about the break point, the accuracy and recreating the pitch. Very fun right now. It may get old later, but I really like it right now.

As far as hitting goes, I have ditched Hitstick 2.0 in favor of 1 button classic. The hit stick doesn't make it any more fun for me, and I like trying to decide where I am going to hit the ball, and I personally feel like I have more control with classic. Also, it is a little harder to hit the ball in classic in my opinion, so I am able to strike out at times.

We definitely need to come up with sliders that recreate pitching better for the CPU. It throws way too many strikes, I have noticed so far.
Old 03-06-2008, 01:23 AM   #1611
Rookie

OVR: 2

I bat with swingstick 2.0 and i can hit a hit if they gave me a guitar. said it before everything I hit is hit at fielders need help please tips . I can handle the pichting . but i can not picht a shutout all the time . this is in all star difficulty out of the box slider no change
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-06-2008, 01:30 AM   #1612
Bat
what

Bat's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Direblaze
I bat with swingstick 2.0 and i can hit a hit if they gave me a guitar. said it before everything I hit is hit at fielders need help please tips . I can handle the pichting . but i can not picht a shutout all the time . this is in all star difficulty out of the box slider no change
Take your initial step back to hit alittle earlier and hold it for a split second. I do better when I start my pull back sooner than I would naturally expect.
Old 03-06-2008, 01:31 AM   #1613
All Star

bravosfan's Arena

OVR: 24
Re: Major League Baseball 2K8 (360/PS3) Impressions

Brief impressions, probably nothing unique but here goes...

-graphics do seem to have been scaled back a bit, grass most noticeably, but still a nice looking game IMO.

-framerate, I think I'm probably a little less sensitive to this than some... noticed a little choppiness at start, but quickly got over it. Probably wouldn't have noticed it at all honestly if I hadn't read so much about it.

-font is tiny, at least on SDTV. Especially the menus. I could hardly read the names while doing a little quick roster editing.

-pitching, I suck at it. Big time. I was anticipating this new control scheme the most, I just didn't expect it to be so difficult. At least for me. Not gonna give up on it yet, but at least classic's still there just in case.

-swing stick, I actually like this a lot more than I expected. Last year's I went right to classic almost immediately, but I can see myself keeping the default.

-saw a pretty good variety of hits. Had one AB where I fouled off 5 or 6 straight pitches, really dug that.

-fielding is pretty cool, I really like the analog throwing. The field itself feels a bit bigger, too.

-didn't see enough balls thrown by either side, but I only played on default... and I'm kind of a hacker anyway.

All in all, seems like a solid enough game so far. I'm sure I'll enjoy it even more once I figure this pitching out, and maybe find a good slider combination.
Old 03-06-2008, 01:33 AM   #1614
Bat
what

Bat's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrUrsus
I own both the Show and 2k8, and so far I have been playing nothing but 2k8. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE the Show, and I know that I will come back to it later, but this game is pretty fresh. The Show definitely looks better in the graphic department as well, and I like controlling the CPU rosters. Is there a way to do that in MLB2k8?

The game is definitely better with Ehh's workaround (signing out of your xbox Live signon, thereby disabling VIP and achievements however)

I love pitching in this game! I am getting better and better at it after using the tutorial, and it is becoming a blast. Never have I enjoyed pitching so much in a baseball game. There is definitely a learning curve. I like how I have to worry about the break point, the accuracy and recreating the pitch. Very fun right now. It may get old later, but I really like it right now.

As far as hitting goes, I have ditched Hitstick 2.0 in favor of 1 button classic. The hit stick doesn't make it any more fun for me, and I like trying to decide where I am going to hit the ball, and I personally feel like I have more control with classic. Also, it is a little harder to hit the ball in classic in my opinion, so I am able to strike out at times.

We definitely need to come up with sliders that recreate pitching better for the CPU. It throws way too many strikes, I have noticed so far.
I have always loved The Show and i bought both yesterday but I actually haven't even played The Show 08 yet! I am pretty shocked but I am enjoying the pitching in 2k8 so much. I never liked pitching in a baseball game like this. I will get to The Show soon but 2k8 is pretty fun.
Old 03-06-2008, 01:38 AM   #1615
MVP

metal134's Arena

OVR: 10

If you turn down the CPU throw strikes slider, you SHOULD see a lot more balls. Some people are reporting that it isn't making a difference, but I'm personally seeing a HUGE difference.

Something else I wanted to mention; I noticed there is no commentary in minor league games. Kind've sucks, but I'll get over it.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-06-2008, 01:44 AM   #1616
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bat9th
Take your initial step back to hit alittle earlier and hold it for a split second. I do better when I start my pull back sooner than I would naturally expect.
Thanks man i will try that. I just can not hit right now if my life depended on it

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MLB 2K »