Home

Major League Baseball 2K8 360 Impressions

This is a discussion on Major League Baseball 2K8 360 Impressions within the MLB 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MLB 2K
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 03-06-2008, 11:59 AM   #1641
Pro

OVR: 8
Re: Major League Baseball 2K8 360 Impressions

Quote:
Originally Posted by merff11
Has anyone noticed how cool the errors look this year? I can't remember a baseball game where the ball actually bounces away from the player, and I mean away.

Example: Pads-Hou in the season opener for my franchise. Brian Giles hit a screamer at the first basemen who attempted to julp and catch it. What happened made me jump up and say "I have never seen that happen before!"
In the process of jumping the ball ricochet into right center field. It almost turned from a line drive to a shallow fly.

Example 2: Grounder in the hole to Tejada. He takes a knee and the ball bounced off his leg and down the left field line.

I am so jacked about this feature. It definetly beats the bobbled ball that is recovered and still gets you out.
Some of the errors definitely look cool...others I've seen look "forced"...

For example, I hit a hard grounder to first against the BoSox...Youkalis just stood there standing completely upright and it went through his legs...there was no animation at all...it was like he was looking up in the stands picking his nose at the time...
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-06-2008, 12:11 PM   #1642
MVP

CarryTheWeight's Arena

OVR: 30

I think just spending some time away from these boards and going into this game thinking for myself about its issues really helped me change my opinion of the game. I'm starting to appreciate its qualities. That's not to say that this game is perfect, or pretty, for that matter.

The frame rate issues I once experienced in the outfield aren't there anymore, strangely... since I finished my first game on Tuesday afternoon, I have yet to see another fielder stop running, in mid-stride, before making a routine grab.

I'm spending a lot of my time in Franchise Mode and I feel this is where the game succeeds the most. Hopefully, if 2K DOES acquire a third-party franchise mode next year, we can see more realistic options for signing players, not to mention salary arbitration and the Rule 5 draft (which ASB 05 had eons ago). Developing your minor leaguers is an excellent option but I haven't seen any major ratings changes during the season...it's usually as I begin a new season.

I'm very impressed by the fielding this year. It was far too easy, IMO, in 2K7 to turn a double play in the infield, but this year, it's much more difficult and hardly happens (since the runner always takes out my fielder's legs).

The presentation from Joe and Jon isn't anything to write home about, but I find that the analysis by Zelasko and Physioc rivals The Show in terms of depth. Why couldn't 2K just have these two announce the entire game? I always look forward to hearing their update in the 7th Inning.
Old 03-06-2008, 12:42 PM   #1643
Rookie

ericdrum's Arena

OVR: 2
Re: Major League Baseball 2K8 (360/PS3) Impressions

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendanrfoley
Um, I gave you two options!

Is "classic" swing one button... or two buttons (power/contact). Just curious .
Sorry for not being clear. Yes it's one button 'A' to swing and I think the manual is wrong because I hit 'X' on accident swinging last night and laid down a bunt. So there is simply one swing and I've gotten a really good balance of hit types with it, so I recommend the classic buttons for batting if you are frustrated or simply don't like the analog for batting.
Old 03-06-2008, 12:42 PM   #1644
Rookie

OVR: 1

I gotta say, I was apprehensive initially about getting this game after hearing the horror stories, but after cracking it open and playing it for a bit, and getting knocked around, I really like it.

I won't go into any more details as people have beat them to death, but this is coming from someone who returned 2K7 after a day and was an avid player of The Show. the little things in this game are great and the level of detail on some of the players are phenomenal (seriously, any Dodger fan can attest, they have re-created James Loney PERFECTLY at 1st base).

I have already started tinkering with the sliders and I am seeing some really great games of baseball being played. I can't use the swing stick yet, so I am on classic, but that helps with varying hits and what not.

My BIGGEST gripe is freezing. That is inexcusable. I was playing a great game that froze before the 7th inning. Unacceptable.

Other than that, I am very conent with this game. If you didn't put in the time with 2K7, I think this is a definite must buy.
Old 03-06-2008, 12:48 PM   #1645
Rookie

ericdrum's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by homerjfry
I gotta say, I was apprehensive initially about getting this game after hearing the horror stories, but after cracking it open and playing it for a bit, and getting knocked around, I really like it.

I won't go into any more details as people have beat them to death, but this is coming from someone who returned 2K7 after a day and was an avid player of The Show. the little things in this game are great and the level of detail on some of the players are phenomenal (seriously, any Dodger fan can attest, they have re-created James Loney PERFECTLY at 1st base).

I have already started tinkering with the sliders and I am seeing some really great games of baseball being played. I can't use the swing stick yet, so I am on classic, but that helps with varying hits and what not.

My BIGGEST gripe is freezing. That is inexcusable. I was playing a great game that froze before the 7th inning. Unacceptable.

Other than that, I am very conent with this game. If you didn't put in the time with 2K7, I think this is a definite must buy.
Loney looks awesome dude. I'm playing as the Dodgers of course.

Yeah, I froze up in the 9th inning after having top of the ninth comeback against the D-backs with Furcal coming out of his slump to drive in 2 with a stand up triple and it froze. It broke my heart. I have started to save every game after a run or if there's a streak of scoreless innings. It adds like 20 seconds and is nice insurance to have.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-06-2008, 12:49 PM   #1646
*ll St*r

Knight165's Arena

OVR: 56

Got just two games in last night....and I'll admit not complete ones(I was tired)

I'm a little surprised that the game ....graphically looks quite a bit worse than last year.....but at other times looks a little better. I know that sounds nuts....I'm just not explaining it that well I suppose.

On the field.....I ran across a couple of funny glitches....but nothing crazy. One....David Wright ran for a foul ball....then the next thing I know...he's running across the diamond from the first base side!...like he ran clear across the world in three seconds!...but I can definitely see the improvement in the gameplay. Fielding is much better. The game seems much tighter than last year all around in the field.
Maybe it's because I'm really a manage only mode player....but I really don't see that the actual mechanics of the gameplay are so fantastic that they make people jump for joy. The are nice....pitching is pretty cool....but it is what it is....it's an element. Again....that's just me...not really a "player".

Franchise mode looks good. I haven't delved into it obviously, but there is plenty there. I read about the Padres bug....I didn't see anything like that with the Mets...like the framerate problem...maybe there is a work around.....if there is someone will find it.

I'll definitely see how things go with 2K8......there are some really nice things in this game....some things need ironing out....so it's on the radar.

M.K.
Knight165
Old 03-06-2008, 01:14 PM   #1647
Rookie

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericdrum
Loney looks awesome dude. I'm playing as the Dodgers of course.

Yeah, I froze up in the 9th inning after having top of the ninth comeback against the D-backs with Furcal coming out of his slump to drive in 2 with a stand up triple and it froze. It broke my heart. I have started to save every game after a run or if there's a streak of scoreless innings. It adds like 20 seconds and is nice insurance to have.
Cool, another Dodgers fan. You know for a team that draws over 3 million fans a year, they really get no respect or decent representation in the rest of the baseball world (I guess that's what playoff win in 20 years will net you)

VERY smart bro...I didn't even think of that. I guess after playing the Show on Ps2 for the past 2-3 years, I forgot a time when I was able to save mid game! I'll definitely start doing that too, seeing as I am a paranoid "save game freak" anyway.

Any BTW, have you noticed that they made Matt Kemp really light skinned? Not to sound like an *** or anything, but they realy made him nearly white...and this is one of the 1st games to really get Nomar's stance right and Andy LaRoche looks GREAT.
Old 03-06-2008, 01:17 PM   #1648

Marino's Arena

OVR: 55

hey dodger fans get this i hit a homer with juan pierre lol and brad penny is a beast!!!

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MLB 2K »